This is why you shouldn't Jeep alone

This really doesn't just apply to off roading, but any wilderness activity in general.
The people who get screwed the most in the backcountry are the ones who know what they're doing, but go alone.
Always bring a buddy, no matter if on 2 wheels, 4 wheels, foot, boat, whatever.

Yep, happened here in Oregon too.

Never go alone, and invest in a sat phone!

Great story, but more important than having company, is leaving a plan with someone.
Reminds me of a movie

127-hours-503cb1f9dccf3.jpg

Last edited:
Great story, but more important than having company, is leaving a plan with someone.
Reminds me of a movie

View attachment 106844
This.
I ran sled dogs for a number of years. It’s one of those sports that doesn’t lend itself much to group travel. You do a lot of solo backcountry training miles. Always left a “voyage plan” with my wife and with my truck at the trail head. It helps to be found if someone has a place to start looking other than “out that general direction”.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
In the late 90s I helped a buddy of mine move from N. Virginia to Denver for law school in mid-September. We both raced mountain bikes in local circuits around D.C., so the first thing we did when we got to Denver was look for some trails to go riding before I had to go back. We found a trail on some 1998-era website that showed a 15-ish mile loop in Pikes Peak National Forest and went for it. The trail map that we printed from the website showed a simple loop, so we set off for the mountain in t-shirts and shorts, one water bottle each, and didn't tell a soul what we were doing.

Fast forward several hours, the sun was beginning to set and we found ourselves not on a simple loop but on a network of criss-crossing trails that took us on all sides of the mountain. Once dusk hit and the cold settled in we started to get worried. We tried back tracking but there were just too many intersecting trails to get a solid fix on where we were. Eventually the sun set entirely and it got too dark to ride; we couldn't even see the trail and were constantly riding off into the woods. We had a conversation about how we were going to manage the night with no food, no more water, and no warm clothing. It wasn't pleasant.

We decided to trudge on, at this point it was so dark that we could barely see what was in front of us. At one point I picked up bike tracks in the snow, barely illuminated by the sliver of moon, that looked familiar. We followed them for a few miles until we found the same area with a large rock that one of us had eaten shit and wrecked into shortly after having started off. An hour or so later of carefully walking and following the tracks we came up on by buddy's Explorer in the parking area. I still remember the thermometer reading on the dash showing 34 degrees. To this day I know that it was 100% luck that we managed to get back there.

We went back to his place, cleaned up, found a bar and proceeded to get really fucked up.

A little off topic but close.....

My wife and I were driving trails in the Bodie Hills east of Bridgeport, CA this afternoon. Some of these trails are pretty much at the limit of my comfort zone. A lot of 4 wheel low range crawling up steep hills, with washouts, boulders, etc. They are probably nothing to you rock crawler guys but I know my limits. At any rate, we were coming down this fairly gnarly section and we came across a Volkswagen GTI (!!} blocking the trail on a corner. There was no one there although there were signs there had been for some amount of time (trash, cigarette butts, etc.). We couldn’t get around him on the corner but were able to backtrack and find another route. It looks like some idiot had taken his car where no car should go, maybe punctured the gas tank, and then got stranded in the middle of nowhere. There was cellphone coverage so I suspect he got someone to rescue him but I don’t have a clue how they will get the car out of there. I am surprised he got the car in as far as he did and I think it will be a bad day for him when he gets the bill for getting it out of there.

And if you do this often, consider buying a satellite phone. Iridium is the company I would most likely recommend, but Inmarsat and GlobalStar are other good alternatives. They're not cheap, but they're cheaper than a funeral.

https://www.iridium.com/phones/https://www.inmarsat.com/https://www.globalstar.com/en-us/products/personnel-safety[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more!!

I use GlobalStar here in The Central Idaho mountains for my mail route, originally started out with Iridium, but it seems geographic location plays a huge part of which works best. Both have their fair share of dead spots within the mountains here, but GlobalStar doesn't drop calls like Iridium did once connected. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe see if you can find someone in your area that has used any of the providers and maybe see who's service works best for where you need it to work.

There are some other options that may or may not be cheaper depending on what plan you want to purchase...
https://www.twowayradiotalk.com/best-satellite-messenger/

Reactions: Steel City 06
I carry the InReach "Satellite Messenger" even when jeeping with a buddy. I can stay in contact with the wife and keeps her in the know of where I am. I can also text her if something goes wrong. A couple years ago we were on the Deer Valley Trail in Northern CA when a person and gotten injured and we could not get around there vehicle. This delayed us a few hours, she was expecting me back around 2:00 but with delay it would have been more like 5:00. Without have the ability to send her a text message letting her know what had happened she would have been freaking out. The ability to keep in contact with her took all of worry out of the issue, otherwise I wold have gotten a ear full and she may have started calling the highway patrol or sheriffs office. I also tell her what trails I will be on you just never know, I also always take enough food, snacks, and drinks, along with an emergency blanket in my pack in case I break down and have to spend the night or several hours waiting for help. Since I jeep in the Sierras a lot you never know when the weather will go from nice to shit. Be a Boy Scout / or as Warn says "Go Prepared "

Reactions: reddvltj
Ive used SPOT Satellite GEN III for work. Really compact and lightweight.You can program messages that you can send intermittently like "I am ok", that will be delivered via text to who you have programmed into it. There is an S.O.S. button, and a tracker button you can use so people can trace your exact steps.

I was maybe 15 when I went fishing up in Wyoming. It was a spot I'd been too a million times. Told my parents I'd be back by dinner and took off on our ATV. When I got there I ended up catching bigger fish the further I got up river. In the end, I'd walked up river over 7 miles. I knew where I was at the entire time, and when it started to get dark I came across an old cowboy camp (dilapidated cabin, I knew it was there). From there I either hiked the treacherous route back down river to the ATV, or the 7-8 miles back to our own cabin by walking on the gravel road that lead away from the cabin. I took the easier route. About 4 miles into it, pole in hand and my creel bag slung over my shoulder a sheriffs vehicle pulled up and asked who I was. Told him my name and his only response was "your parents are looking for you". He gave me a ride back to my folks cabin where my dad was soaking wet because he was down at my original fishing spot kicking thru the water trying to find my body thinking I had slipped and knocked myself out and fell into the river, while my mom was crying hysterically. I felt so horrible for what I had put them thru. The cooked fish were damn good though ;) Next day I took my dad up the same route I had gone and we caught another couple bags worth of fish.

...or why you shouldn't Jeep into the wilderness without any recovery equipment.

We used SPOT in very remote parts of NM and TX. We never had an issue. The yearly subscription looks like it has gone down to $100 a year. I remember my company was shelling out almost $3-400 a year for it.

So in these situations where the people and the dogs make a full recovery, what becomes of his Jeep? Anybody know if they went after it sense it was just stuck?