This Jeep has always been out in the open

I wish I could afford a CJ, too expensive for a half decent one here though.
I'd love to get hold of some of the utes to guys have over there!
4468117851_e68b1b0660.jpg

I meant would you take the GT or GTA Mustang (it was a '67 only designation). I know the Fairlane could also be had as a GT or GTA. So I guess what I'm asking is would you want the GT (4-speed) Mustang, or the GTA (automatic) Mustang? My kid brother had the '67 GT Mustang, and a kid here at work had a GTA Mustang back in the mid-80s. I'd take either one!
Clutch, I love a clutch. Of 30? cars I've owned, maybe 5 have been automatics, and 3 have died or left me stranded or cost me a fortune. I've never paid a penny to fix a standard. I've only replaced 2 clutches too.

But I was comparing a '67 stang to an '05? Ford GT. I'd take the 'stang every time.

What I meant was I've never been a fan of the "performance" options. Yeah I like a 390, 383, 396, but 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 454, 460.... No, I prefer the under dog. Way more fun to beat a BMW in a Cortina than be driving a Shelby and get beat by a Mustang. Smiles all the way to the bar when you wax a Bimmer in a TJ.

Reactions: Squatch
Clutch, I love a clutch. Of 30? cars I've owned, maybe 5 have been automatics, and 3 have died or left me stranded or cost me a fortune. I've never paid a penny to fix a standard. I've only replaced 2 clutches too.

What I meant was I've never been a fan of the "performance" options. Yeah I like a 390, 383, 396, but 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 454, 460.... No, I prefer the under dog. Way more fun to beat a BMW in a Cortina than be driving a Shelby and get beat by a Mustang. Smiles all the way to the bar when you wax a Bimmer in a TJ.
Gotcha. I'm of a similar mindset, in that I would rather have a plain-Jane '67 Dodge Coronet 2-door sedan with a big block in it over a '67 R/T, for example. As for beating a BMW, I'd rather do it in a Sunbeam Tiger... 🆒

Sunbeam Tiger
A guy down the street had a brand new Sunbeam Tiger so a 260? I kinda eyed it enviously, I was in Grade 6? But this was the era of Funny Cars and the Sunbeam Tiger just had no credibility. I loved how fast things changed back then. From altered wheelbases to flopper funnies in 4? years. I saw some telemetry on a top fuel car in maybe 1970... back then they hit 100mph before the rear tires crossed the start line. I'd love to see what they do now.

A guy down the street had a brand new Sunbeam Tiger so a 260? I kinda eyed it enviously, I was in Grade 6? But this was the era of Funny Cars and the Sunbeam Tiger just had no credibility. I loved how fast things changed back then. From altered wheelbases to flopper funnies in 4? years. I saw some telemetry on a top fuel car in maybe 1970... back then they hit 100mph before the rear tires crossed the start line. I'd love to see what they do now.
The Mk 1 (or is it Mark 1?) was a 260, and the Mk 2 had the 289. I'd take either!

Here's a trivia question for you: Most car folks know that there was a smaller displacement small block Ford than the little 289. As you mentioned, there was the 260. Do you remember the displacement of the same engine design (still small block Ford) that was even smaller? I'll give you a hint: It was a one-year only engine, used in both Ford and Mercury cars.

*Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited:
55 Ford Mainline? Nice, more of a holden guy myself when it comes to utes though, I prefer nice Holden HQ ute or something of the likes. View attachment 76029View attachment 76030
Love the yellow one, but can't get behind the flatbed. Gotta have a box on it, in my opinion.

I will admit that the earlier utes are a little ungainly. The lines are rather at odds with each other. But still, we don't have 'em over here, so I can't help but admire them. :)

Love the yellow one, but can't get behind the flatbed. Gotta have a box on it, in my opinion.

I will admit that the earlier utes are a little ungainly. The lines are rather at odds with each other. But still, we don't have 'em over here, so I can't help but admire them. :)
Yeah I don't blame you, the one tonner beds do sort of ruin the lines. Reckon they look good though with some fat radials, doing a burnout.

Didn't realize that the flatbed was for a 1-ton application. Hmmm...
Boy, you Aussie's sure do love your burnout contests, don't ya?

*I think this thread has officially been derailed. Sorry, @psrivats!!!

This thread has been well and truly derailed lol, I guess they don't call you the master thread derailer for nothing. And yes us aussies love our burnouts, have you seen footage of summernats?

This thread has been well and truly derailed lol, I guess they don't call you the master thread derailer for nothing. And yes us aussies love our burnouts, have you seen footage of summernats?
I believe I have. That is to say, I've seen a number of videos from your area. Small cars, huge engines, and lots of smoke. (y)

Reactions: Hammer24
Yes, load carrying is pretty easy with leaf springs. Coils offer better flexibility. Longer range of travel. Chevy made the mistake of putting coils on their 1/2 ton in the 1960s giving it the same capability as Corvair. But honestly the YJ was pretty capable with leafs that were longer and wider giving pretty good off road ability. Not a rock crawler.... but a stock TJ is hardly a rock crawler compared to one modified to specifically rock crawl. Where I live, there are no waterfalls to climb. My TJs coils offer zero capability beyond what my YJs leafs offered.

I like the simplicity of leaf springs, the durability of carburetors, the bullet proof strength of cast iron, the longevity of open C shaped steel frames, the ease of trouble shooting a Jeep without any solid state circuits or computer, and the freedom of a Jeep which can sit outside topless during a hurricane.

We have forgotten what a Jeep is but this thread has the correct title...

"This Jeep has always been out in the open"

I miss that.

I say this as someone who got not quite a decade talking almost daily with someone who drove an original one almost daily when they very first appeared:

"A mechanized replacement for the horse. Something small, mobile, easy to care for and maintain, and could fill a number of roles."

A very good friend of mine who grew up modding vehicles tried often to convince me to get 37's, roll cage additions, and numerous other mods. My response is always "no, that defeats the original intent of a general purpose vehicle".
I think a number of people have either forgotten or lost touch with why the Jeep came about as the decades grow and we get farther away from the original GP's. The popularity of them with and the focus on the civilian market has helped in part in forgetting what they originally were intended for. The HMMWV's (Humvees) are the same way. If I can find it I will try to post a link to a half hour plus marketing/documentary video from Overland show casing the usefulness of the GP's. Some of the things in the video that I can remember are the thresher attachment, hay bailer, and discer. Another friend of mine who is a purist once told me "if it doesn't have seven vertical slots on the grille, no doors, a soft top, and round headlights then it just isn't a real Jeep." Back in the early 2000's he added "and no plastic fenders". If I had the resources that a number of members here seem to, I'd get either a good condition CJ-5 or an M38A1 in a heartbeat. I'd also buy a surplus HMMWV and an M915A1 or A4 so I probably have a different outlook on vehicles than most.

No need to apologize my friend ... What happens here is similar to what happens when good friends sit and drink beer. The topics keep changing but it's always engaging. You have no idea how much I'm amazed by your car knowledge.

And I love looking at these nice old cars and trucks you guys post. So continue the conversation and be merry, my friend.