Thought I'd fallen for the new wrangler...

Spic

TJ Enthusiast
So I saw a lot of advertisements for the new wrangler and thought it looked good, infact I was quite taken by it, so went down to my local dealer and had a good look and a sit in one, then I realised, it was just like any other new car, a cabin full of chrome with buttons everywhere... and along with a £50.000 price tag, no thanks I would rather throw a few k at my TJ and live a much simpler life ✌

20190106_131419.jpg

20190106_131353.jpg

20190106_131333.jpg

You're a smart man @Spic. I could agree with you more.

They look good, but they're just covered in plastic and chrome like all the other new cars out there.

I get how it would appeal to someone who wants a comfortable daily driver, but still wants a "Jeep", but for those of us who consider the Wrangler to be more of a "recreational vehicle", it's lost it's appeal to me.

I wouldn’t pay 42000 for one either, but my girlfriend did! And I like it. I do feel like jeep is missing out on some sales though. I think I would buy one if there was one available from factory with manual windows and locks and factory diff lockers in the low 30000 dollar range. I know that that Jeep would only really appeal to a few people but I’m definitely one of them.

32BE5C55-5D66-46CF-BC53-09075253BCE1.jpeg

They're pretty, and look like a nice vehicle that is unmistakenly better than anything the competition is throwing out there at this point. The problem is the same one I remember from the early 90's that Harly Davidson went through when Arnie rode a Fatboy off an overpass. The jokes about the leaky underside and the AMF years stopped and that ruggedness is what became desirable. They then set to refining away what made the OG Harley's great to begin with, while at the same time embellishing the image. Somewhere in that time prices and stocks soared, while the core of its soul dwindled away, forever parting the bike away from the very people who built the culture. Sure that sounds romanticized, and rosy-glassed, but that looks to be the exact place where the heritage of Jeep is going with full force.

Keep your TJ's running. They're the last of a dying breed.

As far as SUVs go, it looks like it's pretty good. As far as Jeeps go, what the heck are they doing?

I don't know how easy it is to fold down the windshield but it probably is much easier now that the front of the roll cage seems separate from the windshield frame. Too bad the whole cage looks more like various inner body parts that should be hidden than any roll cage I've ever seen.

I'm still waiting to see one with my own eyes....the Jeep stealerships were supposed to have them in October !!
But I have to agree the newer are more computer gadgets and gizmos for my taste.....I'm more Walkman than Ipod.

I get it! They have to stay competitive in a sense. The Jeep name is the only line keeping this company alive, with maybe a bit of help from Ram. When the slogan "theres only one" hits me, this is still true. The wrangler is still the only jeep in the jeep lineup. If they depart from the solid axle concept on future wranglers. It all over then. Re-releasing the cherokee name as a smaller mini van still eats me alive. Ive always wanted to make a sticker, or a shirt that said. "Jeep TJ, Last OK thing Chrysler made"

Reactions: Spic and Kiwi TJ
They're pretty, and look like a nice vehicle that is unmistakenly better than anything the competition is throwing out there at this point. The problem is the same one I remember from the early 90's that Harly Davidson went through when Arnie rode a Fatboy off an overpass. The jokes about the leaky underside and the AMF years stopped and that ruggedness is what became desirable. They then set to refining away what made the OG Harley's great to begin with, while at the same time embellishing the image. Somewhere in that time prices and stocks soared, while the core of its soul dwindled away, forever parting the bike away from the very people who built the culture. Sure that sounds romanticized, and rosy-glassed, but that looks to be the exact place where the heritage of Jeep is going with full force.

Keep your TJ's running. They're the last of a dying breed.
Harley's only had 6-7% of the market share in the late 60's to the mid 70's and if AMF hadn't bailed them out they would be gone, so they adapted, advanced and grew to take up to over half of the market share in the US. Jeep needs to do the same thing or they will die like the dodge truck. Its not what I like or want but that is what the market is now. Tim

Reactions: Spic and XISophos
Harley's only had 6-7% of the market share in the late 60's to the mid 70's and if AMF hadn't bailed them out they would be gone, so they adapted, advanced and grew to take up to over half of the market share in the US. Jeep needs to do the same thing or they will die like the dodge truck. Its not what I like or want but that is what the market is now. Tim

Union labor had alot to do with this. Not to get off topic.

This is a pretty neat video. I'd say getting used to no key and the shutting off at stops is probably the most "interesting" things to get used to!

Reactions: Spic
I'm still debating on removing the eurofender things. But hubby says to leave them :nusenuse:. I don't know. I think it would look better with the open space. I'll see how I feel about then in the spring. :biggrin:

Reactions: Adalynn and Spic