Thought I'd fallen for the new wrangler...

Don’t be afraid of the gadgets...not having to manually roll your windows down isn’t a terrible thing. The new JLs look great, and the Rubicon model is very impressive. Stock with 33s from the factory. Who would of thought that would happen. Price tag is very steep, but so is everything else.

I love gadgets! My TJ has all the factory junk (electronic mirror, premium sound with sub, etc.) plus I've added power widows, power door locks, comprehensive alarm (with sound, impact, and proximity sensors and two-way remote), an AM/FM/CD/DVD indash with a 7" touch screen with Nav and iPod/iPhone interface, CCTV, and dash mounted tweeters (hacked so it plays DVDs while I'm driving - keeps the wife entertained), radar detector, ScanGuage, leather seats with seat heaters, intercooled turbo, onboard air system, hydraulic winch with wireless remote, and more. I installed everything myself over 14 years, and I know how it all works and how to fix it. So far (14 years) I've never had anything fail on the trail, I did have the light bulb on the ScanGuage go out once - I sent it back to the factory and they sent me a brand new upgraded model.

Back in the '50s, electronic add-ons had a reputation for unreliability. Things have changed since then. :)
I spent around 15 years as a professional auto electronics installer - most of the repairs I did were due to poor installation by others, not equipment failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
I love gadgets! My TJ has all the factory junk (electronic mirror, premium sound with sub, etc.) plus I've added power widows, power door locks, comprehensive alarm (with sound, impact, and proximity sensors and two-way remote), an AM/FM/CD/DVD indash with a 7" touch screen with Nav and iPod/iPhone interface and dash mounted tweeters, radar detector, ScanGuage, leather seats with seat heaters, intercooled turbo, onboard air system, hydraulic winch with wireless remote, and more. I installed everything myself over 14 years, and I know how it all works and how to fix it. So far (14 years) I've never had anything fail on the trail, I did have the light bulb on the ScanGuage go out once - I sent it back to the factory and they sent me a brand new upgraded model.

Back in the '50s, electronic add-ons had a reputation for unreliability. Things have changed since then. :)
I spent around 15 years as a professional auto electronics installer - most of the repairs I did were due to poor installation by others, not equipment failures.
Explain this to all the doubters. Please! Hahha I love how ppl claim they hate “gadgets” and all this stuff and outside of their TJ they have them all around them lol.

Reactions: RubiconMike
Explain this to all the doubters. Please! Hahha I love how ppl claim they hate “gadgets” and all this stuff and outside of their TJ they have them all around them lol.

Eh, to each his own. Some people focus on having the ultimate rock-climber or pre-runner or whatever, and anything that doesn't help advance that goal is superfluous. That's cool, just not my goal.

I kind of like the MB G-Wagon - luxury and comfort but still able to do the Rubicon, Fordyce, Pismo, and anything else you throw at it. I just don't want to spend $125K.

Reactions: Starrs
Eh, to each his own. Some people focus on having the ultimate rock-climber or pre-runner or whatever, and anything that doesn't help advance that goal is superfluous. That's cool, just not my goal.

I kind of like the MB G-Wagon - luxury and comfort but still able to do the Rubicon, Fordyce, Pismo, and anything else you throw at it. I just don't want to spend $125K.
What’s funny is that most of the high end fully built LJ rubicons I run across usually have had the modern amenities installed and it looks great, and usually gets a very welcomed response. I think as long as it’s done to a tj/LJ it’s ok. Not sure

Reactions: Artemis
Yea and so do manual windows lol. I had to replace the passenger handle already. I’ve never had any issues with power windows...
My first car was an '85 volvo and before I sold it, 3 of the 4 power windows didn't work. The driver's side window wouldn't go up, but it would go down. The passenger rear window would go down, but not up. The passenger window wouldn't do other. The rear driver's side window worked fine though, lol.

After that, I'm very biased against electric windows, but in fairness, even mechanical stuff can break. After all, the sunroof on my Volvo was mechanical and it went to shit too. :meparto:

I understand car manufacturers have to keep up to stay in, but jeeps don't need to be complicated, well at least not gadget wise, a new Jeep without the gadgets would definitely appeal to me but there isn't the option, there are still plenty of other car manufactures that make basic model vehicles that sale, so it can work, surely the key to selling vehicles is to offer as many options as possible to secure sales, I liked the new Jeep alot, but for me if it was more rugged than refined I probably would have made a money transfer and purchased one, but as it was they lost a sale, each to their own though I guess.

Reactions: jeepins
I’d never get rid of my TJ, but if I had 50k for a 4dr rubicon JL I’d splurge. I think they look 100% better than the jk 4dr’s. 4dr for family reasons... it’s hard fitting 2 growing kids and a wife plus dogs into a tiny TJ

I love gadgets!
Not me. I'm sure my next Jeep will start CJ.... and be completely stock.

Our Grand had a rear power window fail... 6 months later the factory fix was a new wiring harness. Not for the door, for the whole vehicle... they quoted $1400 !!!! We traded it foe a new Subaru.

My TJR lockers quit last year. No one knows why but my god, have you looked at all the switches, electronics involved,,, money pit.

All that sells vehicles today are the electronics. Make a car smarter than an iphone, it'll sell like hotcakes, until next year. Cars are about gadgets today. Not power, or handling, or capability. Give us better Cameras, GPS, HandsFree, AutoPark, it'll sell instantly. There is no such thing as a "car guy" today unless he is driving something 40 years old.

jeeps don't need to be complicated, well at least not gadget wise, a new Jeep without the gadgets would definitely
Are you on drugs !!!

A Wrangler without gadgets will go bankrupt. Jeep introduced the Willie Wheeler, a Sport S plus a bunch of IT gadget shit. It sold out everywhere. Jeep does lots of focus groups, hence the JKU out sold the TJ 10 to 1.

A Jeep without gadgets would definitely be bankrupt.

I don't like it but this conversation would end up in the "Off Topic" Political Forum if we keep going.

Are you on drugs !!!

A Wrangler without gadgets will go bankrupt. Jeep introduced the Willie Wheeler, a Sport S plus a bunch of IT gadget shit. It sold out everywhere. Jeep does lots of focus groups, hence the JKU out sold the TJ 10 to 1.

I don't like it but this conversation would end up in the "Off Topic" Political Forum if we keep going.

hahaha Yeah there is a definite division forming here.....its not quite heated discussion just yet though. ;)

Are you on drugs !!!

Take a chill pill and re read my post, what I'm saying IS, they don't offer a JEEP with no gadgets, I'm not saying they have to build every Jeep that way, but that it would be nice to have the option, even if it was slightly under the price if a loaded one
Are you on drugs !!!
Am I on drugs ? Sorry but your missing my point not the other way around, I'm saying if they offered a new jeep with minimal gadgets I would have bought one for the same price as a so say standard one, but they don't, I'm not saying they have to build them all that way but offering a vehicle fully loaded or with a basic cabin is no difference, Porsche were offering 911's stripped out with very basic interiors for a larger price than ones which were fully loaded because there was a market for them, it's that simple, its called giving the customer what they want lol.

hahaha Yeah there is a definite division forming here.....its not quite heated discussion just yet though. ;)

I don't get why there is a argument. Some people like simple Jeeps with little frills, some like Jeeps with lots of accessories. Neither one is right, and neither one is wrong, just a difference in preferences. Life would would be dull if everyone was exactly the same as me... variety is the spice of life. :)

I don't get why there is a argument. Some people like simple Jeeps with little frills, some like Jeeps with lots of accessories. Neither one is right, and neither one is wrong, just a difference in preferences. Life would would be dull if everyone was exactly the same as me... variety is the spice of life. :)

Reactions: Spic and Artemis