Thoughts on 2006 LJ with 153k

I wouldn't let the opda worry you. At 150k miles it's probably already been changed or may not be affected. If your worried about it get the crown unit and swap it out.

My concern on any 2005-6 is the OPDA on the 4.0 engine. It can and does cause problems and installing the Crown replacement OPDA is proving to not be a permanent solution.
I thought the recall was for a build date 05 to Feb 06? after Feb 06 builds did they not fix the OPDA problem or is it a problem on all the 2006 4.0?

Reactions: skrelnik
The owner has the carfax for it already printed out would it say on that? Its about 8 hours from me and I was thinking about driving down this weekend with a buddy to look a it.
Simple to check my 06 was made for Export but still shows up.

Recalls Results by VIN - Vehicle Identification Number​

Print
  • share2.png

VIN: 1J4F449S56P758226
Year: 2006 Make: JEEP Model: WRANGLER SWB​

Number of Open Recalls: 0​

Additional Safety Information​

Besides the VIN search tool you just used, NHTSA offers additional safety information based on a vehicle's make, model, and model year and not tied to any particular VIN. A search by vehicle make, model, and model year gives you access to information about technical service bulletins, NHTSA investigations, and owner complaints, as well as safety recalls on aftermarket equipment that is often not linked to a particular VIN or even to your vehicle's manufacturer.
To search NHTSA's safety information based on your vehicle's make, model, and model year, please go to the Safety Issues & Recallsopens new window section and follow the instructions there.

Recall information for this manufacturer is only available going back to January 01, 1990. If your vehicle was manufactured before this date, please contact the manufacturer for possible additional recall information.

Reactions: skrelnik
Yes, I'd rather not have that possibility. 04 and older don't have that issue.
Funny you say that. Years ago, before WranglerFix, I was aware of this issue. I really, really wanted an LJR, but this stopped me, along with the OPDA. I ended up searching specifically for an '04 LJ. Since I also wanted an automatic, all ended well!

I have an 06 LJ. I replaced my OPDA at 122k just because I felt like I should. The original had no problems and didn't show any unusual wear.

I have an 06 LJ. I replaced my OPDA at 122k just because I felt like I should. The original had no problems and didn't show any unusual wear.
Is there anyway to know if this has been swapped out? My OPda doesn’t look like it’s 15 years old, but who knows.

FWIW, I paid 13k for my TJ three years ago. It had 63k miles on it. So far I replaced the shocks, both track bars, the tie rod ends assembly, rear caliper, and a wheel seal. The caliper was the only part that had to be replaced. That jeep looks clean but see if there is any wiggle room in his asking price.

Reactions: Irun
would it stop you from buying an '05-'06?

That ask is a little high, so you may be able to get it down a few bucks into the $11k area.

I own an 05 LJ, since 2009. The OPDA is a hyperbolized issue that has been amplified by people that are unaware of it. You should ask how many Jeeps were affected by this. As a good friend of mine says, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/opda-hype-or-real-issue.14822/
"X2 to what @Chris said. I specifically asked Dave Kishpaugh about the OPDA and he said it's one of the things that overblown on the internet . He said not to worry unnecessarily and deal with it only if there is an issue that starts up.

Edit: I have a '05 Rubicon, have had the OPDA pulled and checked, it is aboslutely fine. I have the crown part in my "spares" box but I am not worried about my OPDA
."

I believe less than 10% of all units placed into the 2005-06 models were recalled, based on the recall notice and amount sold during the time period.

1604084012076.png
1604084001843.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris