Thoughts on a potential 2000 TJ purchase

90% of the Jeeps I've gone to look at over the years, I never even had to get out of my car to make a decision NOT to buy them. It used to piss off my wife. When my Rubicon came up for sale at $9500, 120,000 miles and one Texas owner, I drove 2 hours to check it out a few hours after it was posted. I brought the cash, pulled up, and immediately told my wife that I was buying it if it drove good. The guy had every service record from the day he bought it new. He was only selling it because his younger GF wanted a BMW. :unsure:
Rubi 6 9 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MikekiM
Sorry.
I didn't mean to bring the rust PTSD. :ROFLMAO:

I hadn't considered rust when typing that.

However you did say the frame looked clean.
As long as our ideas of 'clean' are relatively the same thing... :ROFLMAO:

The yellow TJ is from the south. Confirmed by seller. Looks wise, it’s good from a Nevadan standpoint from when I lived in LV. Def from the south, or had a frame swap. New brake lines and radiator. For some reason daimler used a crimp type fastener all around the radiator. My 2.4 pisses coolant out while running. So that’s one less thing I suppose.

As I’m typing this he just confirmed a new battery and clutch too. Lol. I’m kinda interested now. Just have to look extra hard for bondo, I’m concerned it was a wrecked rig that wasn’t fixed through insurance, or was wrecked in a different state and title jumped for a clean Ohio title.

90% of the Jeeps I've gone to look at over the years, I never even had to get out of my car to make a decision NOT to buy them. It used to piss off my wife. When my Rubicon came up for sale at $9500, 120,000 miles and one Texas owner, I drove 2 hours to check it out a few hours after it was posted. I brought the cash, pulled up, and immediately told my wife that I was buying it if it drove good. The guy had every service record from the day he bought it new. He was only selling it because his younger GF wanted a BMW. :unsure:
View attachment 503730

My broke ass with my lowes paychecks are not ready for a rubicon just yet. Once my tech certification is approved from my college, I’m gonna get a job in my field and try and get my hands on a Sahara once I can get around to it. I like the tan for some reason.

Every Sahara I have seen so far has been an auto. Are they all automatic from the factory? Please say no…

My broke ass with my lowes paychecks are not ready for a rubicon just yet. Once my tech certification is approved from my college, I’m gonna get a job in my field and try and get my hands on a Sahara once I can get around to it. I like the tan for some reason.

Every Sahara I have seen so far has been an auto. Are they all automatic from the factory? Please say no…

No.

On any vehicle purchase you have to weigh the things you want, the things you don't want and the price.

If this TJ checks the boxes for all the things you want and you can live with the things you don't want and the price is right, then go for it.

I have owned dozens of classics and projects over the years. For me, I am not touching anything that needs body work or has rust issues. The cost to remedy those problems now often exceeds the value of the vehicle. There is no shortage of clean TJ's reasonably priced. I just saw a mint condition 05 TJ on FB Marketplace for $10,500, If I did not have my 99, I would be on the road for NY this morning to pick it up.

On any vehicle purchase you have to weigh the things you want, the things you don't want and the price.

If this TJ checks the boxes for all the things you want and you can live with the things you don't want and the price is right, then go for it.

I have owned dozens of classics and projects over the years. For me, I am not touching anything that needs body work or has rust issues. The cost to remedy those problems now often exceeds the value of the vehicle. There is no shortage of clean TJ's reasonably priced. I just saw a mint condition 05 TJ on FB Marketplace for $10,500, If I did not have my 99, I would be on the road for NY this morning to pick it up.

This Jeep is about 2 hours away, and I was at work at 4 this morning, so if it's there on Monday I might go and see it. My concern is mostly if I buy it, am I gonna find out it's burning a quart every 500 miles? Is 2nd gear gonna start grinding in a couple months? There's just no telling.

It checks the boxes. No doubt. I don't need a return on investment or anything, but I don't want the thing to be completely cooked after only being driven another 10-20k miles.

I'm gonna try and check it Monday, and if I don't fall over, possibly today. I want a 4.0 for sure, and this one just seems like it may be to good to be true.

Last edited:

a clean NY TJ will be very hard to come by. I don't care if is down state or up state.

Similar to myself.
My wife also hates it. :ROFLMAO:

Usually within the first 30 seconds putting eyes on it i've made 90% of the decision.
(I knew I was buying my LJ before I ever stepped foot into the sellers driveway)
It's not a tough call really. It's either IN GOOD SHAPE FOR THE MONEY or it's not.

I also don't like to tire-kick or haggle.
If it's actually worth the asking price, the deal is done.
If it's not worth the asking price, or there's unspoken issues, it's simply a pass from me.

No. I actually just sold my 2000 TJ Sahara, and it was 5-speed manual.

This Jeep is about 2 hours away, and I was at work at 4 this morning, so if it's there on Monday I might go and see it. My concern is mostly if I buy it, am I gonna find out it's burning a quart every 500 miles? Is 2nd gear gonna start grinding in a couple months? There's just no telling.

There are some fool-proof ways to understanding/verifying vehicle health at a 5 minute glance as a buyer...

The seller obviously has to park the vehicle somewhere.
Ask where it was parked, and look at the ground. If there are leak spots, the Jeep is leaking fluids.

Look underneath the vehicle. If it is leaking fluids, it will have fluids underneath.

Crank it up, and let it idle while you talk to the seller.
Just listen/smell for anything. If it's burning oil, it'll smell/look like its burning oil.

If the transmission has an issue, it will feel as though it has an issue.
If it's a 'healthy engine' it will feel like a healthy engine.

If a panel or gap looks out of alignment, that's because it IS out of alignment, and there is a reason for that.

As someone who's now bought more than 20 vehicles & 7 Motorcycles throughout the years primarily from Facebook/Craigslist, it really is THAT easy.
Vehicles are simple. Don't overcomplicate the buying process.

If there is an issue, it WILL present itself. It's ultimately up to YOU to acknowledge that.
(most buyers allow the seller to 'sell them the vehicle', and end up taking on the issues)

@TheBoogieman you've got some competition.
He's bought a vehicle every year since he was born. :unsure:

I owned/operated a small vehicle customization business when I lived in South Carolina.
(certified Vinyl Wrap Installer) so it wasn't uncommon for me to have cool toys people wanted to get rid of.

I've slowed down a good bit in my last few years since moving to Colorado, as I switched my focus to Graphic Design rather than Vinyl Wrap Installations.
(just in my time in these forums ~ 3 months or so ~ I've sold 1 motorcycle, my VW Jetta, my GTI, as well as my first TJ, and bought my LJ as well as our Tiguan)

So I guess that's 6 vehicles accounted for just in my short time here.:ROFLMAO:

a clean NY TJ will be very hard to come by. I don't care if is down state or up state.

I looked for one for ages. Ended up paying way more than I should have but, it was super clean. Zero rust. 56k miles. Two owners. The first had it for over 50k miles and was a master mechanic at one of the more prestigous Jeep dealers on Long Island. The second owned it for less than a year and did nothing to it. I loved the wheels :rolleyes:.

I did the math and the cost of traveling, time away from family and work, the possibility of a wasted trip and delivery back all exceeded the premium I paid. No regrets other than I wish it were yellow or white.

Reactions: cliffish
I looked for one for ages. Ended up paying way more than I should have but, it was super clean. Zero rust. 56k miles. Two owners. The first had it for over 50k miles and was a master mechanic at one of the more prestigous Jeep dealers on Long Island. The second owned it for less than a year and did nothing to it. I loved the wheels :rolleyes:.

I did the math and the cost of traveling, time away from family and work, the possibility of a wasted trip and delivery back all exceeded the premium I paid. No regrets other than I wish it were yellow or white.

White rhino liner actually looks really good. Yellow... eh.

Edit: If Cooper32 ends up passing on it, slide the listing my way. (I should have read the rest on the thread before inadvertently trying to jump his spot in line lol)

Last edited:
Edit: If Cooper32 ends up passing on it, slide the listing my way. (I should have read the rest on the thread before inadvertently trying to jump his spot in line lol)

One I'm looking at is in Ohio, prob not worth coming to get from NY.

Last edited: