Thoughts on buying this 2005 TJ Sport

He says he hasn't had any issues with the OPDA so didn't replace it. I intend on replacing it if I were to buy this Jeep.

Didn't show me pictures of the diff covers and tags, but tells me the rear axle is a Dana 44 with a 3.73 ratio and limited slip.
That rear end is definitely a Dana 35. Oval in shape and rubber plug. You can see in photo #7

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Bought my 2006 X with 126k in January for $9000. Pretty much the same jeep just a year newer if that helps on price.

received_772943133204892.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to negotiate down given the fact that I'll likely have to rebuild the transmission later. When you say it'd be a 2.5K bill, is that to do it myself, or to hire a mechanic to do it?
Because you are in the US, you have many more options as you can buy a full rebuild/core return for that kind of money. I haven't found that in Canada yet, so either have to find a shop with the tools or do it myself.

There is a very good thread here somewhere where a gent in Arizona did the rebuild himself and mentioned just how staggeringly expensive the tools are, so again, getting a rebuild with warranty from a reputable shop would be worth looking at. This is all assuming that the trans will need a rebuild at some point....it may not and last you for as long as you own the vehicle. It's just one of those things to be wary of on the 2005-2006s.

Obviously putting eyes and hands on it in person is the ultimate test. That price seems pretty much spot-on if that were listed here in Dallas. I don't know what they actually sell for, but whoever said it was worth 6500 tops....we should all be buying jeeps in his market and selling them in Dallas, because there is a huge arbitrage opportunity. :)

The difference in quality I see in the 9kish price point vs the 7.5k is significant...I would think if you could get that for 8 you'd have done pretty well. Not amazing, but pretty good. Just show up with 7 large and work from there. The number he'll take is between 7 and asking, all you have to do tease him lower with the sight of greenbacks.

And remember, there is ALWAYS at least $1k in repairs that you don't know about yet. I'm an additional $1500 into mine and that includes getting a $50 lift kit and using brand new tires from another project.

Ask the seller for the VIN number and get the build sheet to confirm what it had stock.

There’s a thread here on how to get the build sheet online.

That’ll tell you what the seller may not know, or may be confused about, or lying about for that matter.

Good luck!

Reactions: Claytone
Bought my 2006 X with 126k in January for $9000. Pretty much the same jeep just a year newer if that helps on price.

View attachment 211595
Obviously putting eyes and hands on it in person is the ultimate test. That price seems pretty much spot-on if that were listed here in Dallas. I don't know what they actually sell for, but whoever said it was worth 6500 tops....we should all be buying jeeps in his market and selling them in Dallas, because there is a huge arbitrage opportunity. :)

The difference in quality I see in the 9kish price point vs the 7.5k is significant...I would think if you could get that for 8 you'd have done pretty well. Not amazing, but pretty good. Just show up with 7 large and work from there. The number he'll take is between 7 and asking, all you have to do tease him lower with the sight of greenbacks.

And remember, there is ALWAYS at least $1k in repairs that you don't know about yet. I'm an additional $1500 into mine and that includes getting a $50 lift kit and using brand new tires from another project.
This is extremely helpful advice, thank you!

Ask the seller for the VIN number and get the build sheet to confirm what it had stock.

There’s a thread here on how to get the build sheet online.

That’ll tell you what the seller may not know, or may be confused about, or lying about for that matter.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. Confirmed Dana 35s with 3.07 rear axle ratio. The seller also followed up to tell me he was wrong. Turns out he knows even less than I do!

Thanks for the tip. Confirmed Dana 35s with 3.07 rear axle ratio. The seller also followed up to tell me he was wrong. Turns out he knows even less than I do!
Which is scary to me. Immediately makes me second guess how well it was taken care of/repaired. Like others have said. If you’re serious, you have to look at it in person and don’t be afraid to get invasive during your inspection.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
The seller had previously given me some older photos; here are the new ones. Looks pretty dirty, but I don’t really mind as long as the frame is solid.
C5EEA1D0-DBC9-4077-94DC-2B3673487400.jpeg

45C87184-2C17-4A5E-9C83-79C15436A1C7.jpeg

D9551C8C-EC8C-411F-B030-DFE7A5FB7E6C.jpeg

667156BF-8E7C-4BAF-A363-ACE447518F35.jpeg

Which is scary to me. Immediately makes me second guess how well it was taken care of/repaired. Like others have said. If you’re serious, you have to look at it in person and don’t be afraid to get invasive during your inspection.
Agreed. Will keep in mind when I check it out!

If that is what he sent you for pictures to sell, I don't even want to know the rest of the story. The interior looks trashed, ripped drivers seat, leaves in the cup holders and dirt everywhere. I think he stored it under a tree with no top on it for quite a while...I would not be looking at this one, even if it were down the block.

If that is what he sent you for pictures to sell, I don't even want to know the rest of the story. The interior looks trashed, ripped drivers seat, leaves in the cup holders and dirt everywhere. I think he stored it under a tree with no top on it for quite a while...I would not be looking at this one, even if it were down the block.
That’s a very good point... I do feel like I might end up passing on this one. It just feels like I’ve spent so much time thinking about it that I might as well see it with my own eyes! Thanks for the tip.

I will +1 @TheBoogieman , price is steep.
OP just look around long enough, notice the pattern, and you will understand where his $6500 is coming from.

For the reference, i purchased 2006 with 89000 miles on it for $10000 from the dealership... and that is me, back then, not knowing any better, and not having a slightest clue about anything other than "I want to try a Jeep, and i don't like the look of JK model".

But, as far as Austin, i understand why it is priced as high.
I have looked at the craigs list while passing through for few days. Plenty of everything Jeep related, for retarded prices.
Kind of similar situation to some northern states, clown has a rotting apart 4 banger and expects to get nothing less than a pristine-garage- kept 6cyl price for it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I purchased this 04 TJ 4.0 5spd 141000 miles for 3000.00 and sunk about another 5000.00 in it and did all the work myself
IMG_3851.JPG

it was rough when I brought home body was good
top was good
no carpet
console was gone
driver seat ripped
suspension and steering completely shot
factory front bumper was junk
missing one nerf bar
But it was only 3000 grand and engine trans ect were in good shape

Reactions: TheBoogieman
In other words about the same shape give or take as the one you are looking at
the one pictured by does have the full hard doors mine did not
But mine had a dana 44 locker in the rear and dana open diff in front

The OP's in Cali where the prices are stupid as well, but I agree with the other guys, the price is high for that Jeep.

If you're dying to look at it, you could. Maybe tell him you're only interested in offering $3000 for it? Cite you're reasoning for that price, and who knows? At that price, once you put your 5K into it, it would almost be worth what you've got in it.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I called off the deal and will continue my search.

I actually suddenly came across another promising one! Only issue is rust... if anybody can tell me how bad this rust is, I’d greatly appreciate it! It looks good in some places but not so good in others so I’m having a hard time figuring it out. 😅
18C1982C-064E-4299-99A5-8A66F6B7E02B.jpeg

66738226-8AA3-4F38-BBAA-A21FC7A6198A.jpeg

0694A1FC-2480-4A0D-B895-DDB3060B068C.jpeg

7B45D040-A903-4311-8BEB-D5620FAC0BBE.jpeg

A1A6C1CC-40BF-4232-B6D1-2A9B1C5AA034.jpeg

BFE48FB6-3FAC-41A9-8F6D-E4278CB0860B.jpeg

21FA0EDA-1EFF-4AA4-8F95-41FEED20C415.jpeg

51CB9589-BABE-4845-8A18-7FC8B331F16B.jpeg

DB575F32-07B3-41BC-9265-2EB441B07BCE.jpeg

A6A3DCF5-E6BC-4D8B-AD9D-CE555A9DBE04.jpeg

6B7704AA-7084-4BCC-9B4C-5DDDF06B0717.jpeg

2ACE4D8A-EB66-4448-87C0-118B364CD365.jpeg