Thoughts on compact CB radios?

CB World in Oregon (the website you linked for the DIN CB bezel) has always treated me well. Don't hesitate to call them on the telephone for any assistance choosing the correct product

Same with Crutchfield, but I don't know about the phone part.

I know nothing about AM/FM radios. I can't remember the last time I used the radio in my jeep.

Reactions: Zorba
FWIW, I'm planning on removing the stock radio, installing a double DIN bezel, with a single DIN stereo and single DIN CB setup. Any cons?
Sorry to hijack the thread. Maybe Zorba can PM me about this, but once again I find myself having the same idea. I currently have a single-din stereo, and was thinking about this same approach. I know you didn't do it in the end, so am wondering why. Not enough space in the end?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Maybe Zorba can PM me about this, but once again I find myself having the same idea. I currently have a single-din stereo, and was thinking about this same approach. I know you didn't do it in the end, so am wondering why. Not enough space in the end?
I remember seeing the final results, maybe in the “what did you do to your TJ today?” thread? IIRC, he was able to do it but it wasn’t a smooth install by any means. Maybe @Zorba can link you to a thread or post or PM you some pics.

I remember seeing the final results, maybe in the “what did you do to your TJ today?” thread? IIRC, he was able to do it but it wasn’t a smooth install by any means. Maybe @Zorba can link you to a thread or post or PM you some pics.
Its NOT straightforward. "Double DIN" is a misnomer. It sounds like it would be 2 single DINs stacked on top of each other. It isn't. Its slightly shorter and slightly narrower than 2 singles would be. It takes a lot of grinding, filing and care to make this work. I even had to modify the CB radio bezel - single DIN wants to overlap on all 4 sides of the bezel - something has to give where the two touch each other.

Here's the blow-by-blow account: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty.htm

I am happy with the outcome, but it wasn't easy. Somebody else here on the forum also did this before I did - but I don't remember his/her results.

Its NOT straightforward. "Double DIN" is a misnomer. It sounds like it would be 2 single DINs stacked on top of each other. It isn't. Its slightly shorter and slightly narrower than 2 singles would be. It takes a lot of grinding, filing and care to make this work. I even had to modify the CB radio bezel - single DIN wants to overlap on all 4 sides of the bezel - something has to give where the two touch each other.

Here's the blow-by-blow account: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty.htm

I am happy with the outcome, but it wasn't easy. Somebody else here on the forum also did this before I did - but I don't remember his/her results.
Wow, nice work. Ok thanks. This is probably more than I need to get into right now. I was hoping it was as easy as it sounded!

Wow, nice work. Ok thanks. This is probably more than I need to get into right now. I was hoping it was as easy as it sounded!
Its not. It certainly sounds easy, but the devil's in the details. Its doable if you take your time and think things through carefully.

Getting around to installing a CB with a couple questions
R/S or L/S taillight mount? Ring mount or stud mount?
Plans are for Uniden CMX760 (even though I have 2 Midland compact radios in storage) and 2ft Firefly in a quick disconnect

Plans are for Uniden CMX760 (even though I have 2 Midland compact radios in storage) and 2ft Firefly in a quick disconnect
If you fly a flag on the antenna it should be on the right side

If you don't like drilling through your tub, left side. If you route your coax into the tailight, up into the tub, then across the floor towards the console, you can take advantage of the big rubber grommet on the left side near the base of the sport bar. I used 18' coax and went from the right side, down, across the crossmember, up through the grommet, to right in front of the shifter with barely enough length. Depending on where you mount your radio, you may need more slack.

IMG_0546.JPEG

IMG_0547.JPEG

IMG_0548.JPEG

Reactions: voodooridr
I forgot all about that big grommet in the left corner, that'll make life a little easier.
going with L/S tail light mount, 18' Fire Ring coax, Breedlove quick disconnect mount and 3' Firefly antenna
Planning on mounting the Uniden remote box up under the dash on the left side

I've got a few radio setups on my rig. Specifically for CB, a Cobra 75 WX ST. Firestik 2 mounted on the bottom part of my Garvin tire carrier.

For my needs, that setup works fine. I only use the CB for trail communication between rigs. Short range is all I need. You're not going to get much of a ground plane on a TJ. My UHF and VHF use jbar antenna cut, tuned, and mounted under the roll cage padding.

View attachment 141683

I know this a few years old but mounting a UHF /VHF under your roll bar padding has my attention. Can you share a bit about your setup?

Reactions: RINC
I know this a few years old but mounting a UHF /VHF under your roll bar padding has my attention. Can you share a bit about your setup?

It was to hide the setup. Where I was living at the time, I felt the need to hide anything of value. This setup was to have what I wanted without advertising it. I haven't cooked my brain yet.

More pics and details of my setup here. Post in thread 'Let's see your HAM radio installs!' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/lets-see-your-ham-radio-installs.56235/post-985747

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
So @Zorba you are going phoneless as of the first of 23? All services will be 5g and no more legacy phones

Not quite true - 4G LTE still works, and will continue to do so for at least 10 years - IF you have a late model 4G LTE phone. My 4G phone was early generation, and got caught in the turnoff. So I had to buy a new one about 3 weeks ago:

DSC01293.JPG

Old on left, new on right. I was able to buy the Sonim brand new from the distributor, unlocked. DEFINITELY "Professional Grade", a bit odd to drive, but I like it. Charge it once a week on Friday nites - although it went 1 day short of 2 weeks in a test. This is apparently Sonim's most popular model - I had been lusting after a Sonim for years, but all they made were candybar phones, then they came out with the XP3 flip in 2019 and followed up with the this XP3Plus late last year.

I bitched about the price ($300), but then again I could buy 3 of these for less than 1 of most smartphones - and it should LAST for many years. I got 18 years out of my first cell phone, and would still be using it today 'cept the old 1G analog service was turned off in early 2007. Went out to the car one morning and it no-longer worked! I had purchased a flip the week before as I knew the turnoff was coming, although it took them about 6 years of saying "turn off in 2" before they actually did it so I just waited. Unfortunately, that flip only lasted 7 years before it started falling apart.

BTW, what does this have to do with CB radio?

Last edited: