Thoughts on compact CB radios?

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I've been doing some research on CB radio systems in preparation for EJS. I'd like your input on the setup I'm looking at right now:

For the radio, I keep seeing that the Uniden 520XL is the tried and true, go-to radio, but I'm leaning towards the Uniden CMX 760, with the remote-mount box. I like the idea of having the box mounted out of the way, behind the glove box, with just the all-in-one handset accessible, as opposed to mounting at the top of the windshield or above the dash. Also, having a soft top, I don't like the idea of having a piece of equipment sitting on the dash just begging someone to break in and take it.

After reading through lots of Firestik's website, I am unsure of where I should mount the antenna. I like the idea of having it out of the way on a tail light mount, but Firestik says performance will not be nearly as great as a front bumper or hood mount.

Furthermore, I also read there that at least 1/3 of the length of the antenna should be above the roofline, or performance will suffer. If that's true, I should need a 4 foot antenna minimum. Another option I thought of would be to mount it to the tire carrier, but I read that may be tough to get a good ground through.

I went with the Uniden Pro 520XL and a 2-foot firestick as recommended by many, especially by @Jerry Bransford . Amazing setup!

I attached my antenna to the top of a rack that is attached to my Currie swing-out. I did a light install today for testing. I will take pictures and share them here. My SWR is 1.0 to 1.2 on all channels. Signal is very clear. Attaching it to the tire carrier may or may not work. It truly depends on the design of your tire carrier and the ground plane of your Jeep. Having it on that rack means I will have to remove the antenna before parking my Jeep in my garage. This is a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the incredible signal I can get/send. We'll see if that gets old though.

I've been doing some research on CB radio systems in preparation for EJS. I'd like your input on the setup I'm looking at right now:

For the radio, I keep seeing that the Uniden 520XL is the tried and true, go-to radio, but I'm leaning towards the Uniden CMX 760, with the remote-mount box. I like the idea of having the box mounted out of the way, behind the glove box, with just the all-in-one handset accessible, as opposed to mounting at the top of the windshield or above the dash. Also, having a soft top, I don't like the idea of having a piece of equipment sitting on the dash just begging someone to break in and take it.

After reading through lots of Firestik's website, I am unsure of where I should mount the antenna. I like the idea of having it out of the way on a tail light mount, but Firestik says performance will not be nearly as great as a front bumper or hood mount.

Furthermore, I also read there that at least 1/3 of the length of the antenna should be above the roofline, or performance will suffer. If that's true, I should need a 4 foot antenna minimum. Another option I thought of would be to mount it to the tire carrier, but I read that may be tough to get a good ground through.
I run a 2’. It works fine for trail. I broke a 3’ on a tree. If you go 3’+ get the spring at the base so you don’t break it.

Reactions: Irun and Tob
I have the cobra model (C75WXST) with Fire Stick mounted on tire carrier. Before deciding on the tire carrier I checked the resistance from carrier to frame and it was low so I went with that. I scraped the powder coat off at the proper place and mounted the antenna. I did not get the super low SWR readings that are ideal but was well within the safe range. I have never had any problems with range.

Reactions: Tob
I've got a few radio setups on my rig. Specifically for CB, a Cobra 75 WX ST. Firestik 2 mounted on the bottom part of my Garvin tire carrier.

For my needs, that setup works fine. I only use the CB for trail communication between rigs. Short range is all I need. You're not going to get much of a ground plane on a TJ. My UHF and VHF use jbar antenna cut, tuned, and mounted under the roll cage padding.

20190326_130802.jpg

Last edited:
I currently use a Uniden Pro520XL CB and Kenwood TM-281a 2m ham mounted to an Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount.

I didn't like the SWR readings using the antenna tabs on my Rock Hard 4x4 swing away tire carrier so I used Teraflex tail light antenna brackets. I use Breedlove antenna mounts - a 3/8" stud mount with brass quick disconnect for CB and NMO mount for ham.

As for CB antennas, I use a 2' Firestik II around town and a 4' Firestik Firefly as needed. My 4' Firefly works very well at Moab - noticeably better range over open country than the 2' Firestik. I stopped using a spring when I switched from a 4' Firestik II to the 4' Firefly - it isn't needed with a flexy antenna.

For "all in one" CB's I am partial to the Cobra 75 WX ST. I have one mounted in my non-jeep 4x4 and it has served me well for many years.

CB Antenna Mount close up 07 04 19.jpg

Ham Radio Antenna Mount 07 04 19.jpg

2m Ham & CB on Arizona Rocky Road Mount.jpg

Are CBs really even worth stealing? Truly curious. The only people who use them seem to be truckers and jeepers. My rig was broken into once and the mic was dangling, what that means who really knows...

I have the 520xl on the ARR mount. Its location allows me to hear easily at hwy speeds and on the trail. It is out of the way in my opinion and does not restrict vision. The SWR will mainly come from the grounding. If it is grounded well and the antenna tuned properly, the performance will be fine on your jeep. I am getting ready to buy a 2' Antenna and ditch the 3' because it keeps getting caught on trees and garage doors.

I currently use a Uniden Pro520XL CB and Kenwood TM-281a 2m ham mounted to an Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount.

I didn't like the SWR readings using the antenna tabs on my Rock Hard 4x4 swing away tire carrier so I used Teraflex tail light antenna brackets. I use Breedlove antenna mounts - a 3/8" stud mount with brass quick disconnect for CB and NMO mount for ham.

As for CB antennas, I use a 2' Firestik II around town and a 4' Firestik Firefly as needed. My 4' Firefly works very well at Moab - noticeably better range over open country than the 2' Firestik. I stopped using a spring when I switched from a 4' Firestik II to the 4' Firefly - it isn't needed with a flexy antenna.

For "all in one" CB's I am partial to the Cobra 75 WX ST. I have one mounted in my non-jeep 4x4 and it has served me well for many years.

View attachment 141698

View attachment 141699

View attachment 141704
I was not aware of the firefly, you probably just cost me money.

Dumb question here- on the mountain trails do the lower 21 channels provide any better reception than the higher ones?
What channels are most of you using on trails?
Embarassed to admit- I have a perfectly working 21 channel (now you know how old I am LOL)

Any difference will be more theoretical than practical. Your 21 channels will be fine.

I don't know if it is still true, but at one time only sidebanders frequented the "upper" channels. My jeep club tends to use Channels 4 or 5, sometimes 14 or 15 if our preferred channels are busy.

PS - If you think your CB is old, I have a mid-1960's Johnson Messenger 323 in one of my parts boxes. It came from the factory with a handful of working channels and the customer bought crystals for additional channels if desired.

Johnson-323A-300x198.jpg

Reactions: Phil Younger
A Uniden 510 or 520 will be plenty fine, and pretty compact. A 3' Firestik on a tail light mount will work fine for most of your wheeling.
For contrast, I run a 30+ year old TRC-415 (Tandy Radio Corp, yepper that's a Radio Shack rig), similar in size/function to the Uniden 510. 9' of coax to a 3' Firestik on the passenger tail light mount. SWR is ~1.5 and nobody has bothered the CB in my rag-top. (It is mostly out of sight mounted to the center roll bar behind the front seats.) The speaker is on the bottom of the unit, and sit just to the left and behind my head, so I don't need an external speaker.
1582680842081.png

In my experance any CB works great for trail use.
It is the antennae that counts most. Buy a good one that mounts to the body and be sure the mount is grounded to the body. As for old 23 channel ones or ones with crystals, put them in the trash. You can buy a new one on line or at the local truck stop for $40 up.

Reactions: OlYellerTJ
This one might bring back some old memories. FIL gave it to me. He used it in his old Bronco in the seventies. Still works like a champ! Not sure if they had a 4 watt limitation back in those times, but it seems to have a bit more power than most modern units. Could be my imigination.

20191003_135444.jpg

Add a 1000 watt linear amp if you are worried about not reaching far, you should be able to reach the international space station and make neon lights glow when you drive eat them! Lol
Ya but remember you are driving a 2.5 or 4.0L and keying down the mike might result in rev loss and face plant in windshield.

• Haha
Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
FWIW, I'm planning on removing the stock radio, installing a double DIN bezel, with a single DIN stereo and single DIN CB setup. Any cons?

FWIW, I'm planning on removing the stock radio, installing a double DIN bezel, with a single DIN stereo and single DIN CB setup. Any cons?

Only if you have an affinity for the stock radio.

Which bezel, stereo and CB? Someone may have installed the specific products you are considering who could offer first-hand advice.

I have read that the Cobra 18 WX ST II is a good choice for an in-dash mount, but have no personal knowledge.

cobra18wxst_grande.jpg

Last edited:
DIN bezel for CB: https://www.wearecb.com/dinxxxx-in-dash-radio-mounts-18057.html
About 4 versions for various radios...

This dash bezel, available several places: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956541/Metra-95-6541-Dash-Kit-Black.html

With this cover plate: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120999999/Metra-99-9999.html

Not sure what stereo - I really only need AM/FM/Geek stick - and there are several of those to choose from. Don't own nor want a smartphone, so I don't care about "connectivity", and I'm waaay too cheap to want satellite radio. CDs aren't needed if you have a geek stick to plug in, and you don't have to worry about dust and vibration.

What's the power rating on the stock speakers? Don't want to over drive them.