Thoughts on Detroit Tru Trac?

Reactions: abart
Look what I found: Eaton 912A569 Detroit Truetrac 27 Spline Differential for Dana 35 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GC7FC2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I was into @Jeepers-n-Creepers Dana 35 this last Saturday and he has the Eaton Detroit TT 27 Spline in his Dana 35. We were upgrading the shafts by putting in 1541H. These should be at least 10% stronger than stock and the nice thing is that now he has a back up set of axle shafts, just in case. Here’s a sneak peek...

02E5DEBC-D01B-4887-969D-BD915375E825.jpeg

CF996FB8-8B3C-4666-8927-5D527110F9A2.jpeg

9EB6EFD4-448E-4273-9B7B-415213C7E65A.jpeg

Nice fender-stuff photo :)

@JMT maintains an affinity for the same - in his red TJ :)
Thank you, I like it too! Old strip mines where this was taken are good for a varied terrain to test out your setup for good all-around work. My TTs are all I will ever need for my tastes and where I want to go.

Reactions: Mikester86
We are using it as a warm weather toy, stored winters. But of course the possibility is always there for it to see some snow. How does the rear locker behave on the pavement?

With all that being said, and the light duty trail riding it may see, probably better served with the TruTrac LSD. Most likely one on the rear will suffice my needs. What are your thoughts?

I recently installed a Detroit Locker in my rear Dana 44 after blowing up my Rubi locker per Jerry's recommendation. I was scared it was going to pop, buck, clank, and jerk like my lunchbox locker did in the back of my CJ. I've had it in for almost a month now, and I'm just shocked at how well behaved it is! As long as you drive neutral throttle around corners, you don't know it's back there!

I recently installed a Detroit Locker in my rear Dana 44 after blowing up my Rubi locker per Jerry's recommendation. I was scared it was going to pop, buck, clank, and jerk like my lunchbox locker did in the back of my CJ. I've had it in for almost a month now, and I'm just shocked at how well behaved it is! As long as you drive neutral throttle around corners, you don't know it's back there!

Probably 20 or so years ago they came out with a "soft" locker version of the DL. Basically it was a softer set of pressure springs to allow easier/smoother disengagement/engagement. It wasn't long afterwards that they became the standard. They are much nicer on road now than a few decades ago, which is where the poor on road behavior came about.

Probably 20 or so years ago they came out with a "soft" locker version of the DL. Basically it was a softer set of pressure springs to allow easier/smoother disengagement/engagement. It wasn't long afterwards that they became the standard. They are much nicer on road now than a few decades ago, which is where the poor on road behavior came about.

Definitely something to think about. I would prefer a locker as compared to a LSD. The on road manners is a concern. My TJ is a 5 speed manual, not sure if that lends itself better to the LSD or the Locker? This would be in the rear Dana 44.

Definitely something to think about. I would prefer a locker as compared to a LSD. The on road manners is a concern. My TJ is a 5 speed manual, not sure if that lends itself better to the LSD or the Locker? This would be in the rear Dana 44.

I'm running the Detroit in a 5 speed and it's supercharged, it's very well behaved on the street, as long as you don't floor in through corners lol

I would do a Detroit in a heartbeat if I was living in a no snow/ice zone. That locker is the absolute best.

As it is I'll be going selectable Eaton E-Locker in the rear and keep my PowerTrax No Slip Lunchbox up front for now. I wasn't planning on moving to a snow/ice zone when I put it in, but with the Eaton E-Locker in the rear, I can turn it on in 2wd and not engage the front. If I get in trouble in snow/ice I can switch into 4wd and work my way out with both lockers. When I go wheelin I'll be locked front and rear all the time. At least that's my plan for now...

I would do a Detroit in a heartbeat if I was living in a no snow/ice zone. That locker is the absolute best.

As it is I'll be going selectable Eaton E-Locker in the rear and keep my PowerTrax No Slip Lunchbox up front for now. I wasn't planning on moving to a snow/ice zone when I put it in, but with the Eaton E-Locker in the rear, I can turn it on in 2wd and not engage the front. If I get in trouble in snow/ice I can switch into 4wd and work my way out with both lockers. When I go wheelin I'll be locked front and rear all the time. At least that's my plan for now...

I live in Michigan where we get snow. It would probably be wise for me to go with the Detroit Truetrac LSD, instead of the locker. Even though we are storing in the winter, one never knows. The PowerTrax No Slip Lunchbox up front seams like a good option down the road too, if necessary for us. If not TT LSD in both. Decisions, decisions.........

Wow, this is a great video depicting the advantage of locking differentials and how they compare to open diffs in the real world. Jump to the 2:45 mark and watch until at least the 11 minute mark!

Wow, this is a great video depicting the advantage of locking differentials and how they compare to open diffs in the real world. Jump to the 2:45 mark and watch until at least the 11 minute mark!

Yep, fairly obvious who had em and who didn't. They should have been letting the "smaller" guys go through first instead of after all the big tire'd guys rutted it out.

Reactions: Mikester86