Thoughts on MetalCloak rear fenders?

Rynous

TJ Enthusiast
I've been looking at getting the rear bumper and tire carrier from metal cloak for my TJ. the thing is, the tire carrier mount requires the corner guards to mount since it is tub mounted. I'm thinking about this option because I'm not really worried about scratching or damaging the paint because it is already dinged up and scratched to the metal already. (Added bonus: it'll match my front metal cloak fenders)

https://metalcloak.com/jeep-tj-lj-tub-mount-spare-tire-carrier.html

There’s a lot of dislike of metal cloak here, so you may be opening up a flood.

Personally, I don’t like how their stuff looks and I wouldn’t want to move my tire that far from the gate, I already drag it often enough.

I wouldn’t run them personally. I would go with GenRight aluminum flares and a minimalist bumper without a tire carrier. Attach the tire to the tub via an Exogate.

I have their old tire carrier bumper combo and it's one of the better setups I've seen but they don't offer it anymore.

I think their new offering is too expensive for what it is and there are better offerings available.

There’s a lot of dislike of metal cloak here, so you may be opening up a flood.

Personally, I don’t like how their stuff looks and I wouldn’t want to move my tire that far from the gate, I already drag it often enough.
Why the dislike on metal cloak?

Why the dislike on metal cloak?
Most find them to be full of marketing fluff instead of providing real performance benefits. For me, the style is a bit too bro-dozer with the ridiculous front fenders with the high sweep. They also use a heim joint on their trackbar, which will just wear and get noisy. Also, the joints aren't rebuildable - so any time they wear out (which many members have found to be rather rapidly) you have to replace the whole bushing.

Reactions: pc1p
Most find them to be full of marketing fluff instead of providing real performance benefits. For me, the style is a bit too bro-dozer with the ridiculous front fenders with the high sweep. They also use a heim joint on their trackbar, which will just wear and get noisy. Also, the joints aren't rebuildable - so any time they wear out (which many members have found to be rather rapidly) you have to replace the whole bushing.
Gotcha, I understand that completely. I never was considering them for suspension upgrades though. Just the fenders and body upgrades. I didn't like the high line fender. I just got the normal looking ones. The high line fenders remind me too much of the fab fours stuff. Just not my style really.

Reactions: rasband
Gotcha, I understand that completely. I never was considering them for suspension upgrades though. Just the fenders and body upgrades. I didn't like the high line fender. I just got the normal looking ones. The high line fenders remind me too much of the fab fours stuff. Just not my style really.
I mean, I do see an angry grille ;)

I've been looking at getting the rear bumper and tire carrier from metal cloak for my TJ. the thing is, the tire carrier mount requires the corner guards to mount since it is tub mounted. I'm thinking about this option because I'm not really worried about scratching or damaging the paint because it is already dinged up and scratched to the metal already. (Added bonus: it'll match my front metal cloak fenders)

https://metalcloak.com/jeep-tj-lj-tub-mount-spare-tire-carrier.html
The rear MC fenders are great if you want to be able to remove the fenders with ease and also have different size options. That said I replaced mine with GR and simply installed nutserts into the body so I could easily remove them if wanted.

I went with Metal Cloak because I could get their 8" wide flares and remove them when I am going off-road. I didn't get them for my clearance or anything else. I was just trying to have flares that could cover my tires but if I had 6-8" non-removable flares I'd be getting stuck trying to squeeze thru the trees here in WA. I had 3" flares before and they were a issue also.

I like my Metalcloak flares both front and rears.

Reactions: Wildman
well I think the MC fenders give me a sort of modern retro look that I really like, with the ability to run different width flares, or no flares at all just by removing a few bolts

but I run my spare tires strapped down to the rear floor, I wouldn't run something hanging off of the back of the tubs...but my CJ did it that way and it never had an issue, so why not

my TJ runs the 6" flares
zwJiv0O.jpg

and my YJ runs 4" flares, but I could swap them around if I wished too
6zmlLdq.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
I'm into year 8 of owning Metalcloak fenders and have zero complaints. I bought them knowing they weren't a highline. In my case, I was looking for the flat fender look and protection from the trees I consistently encounter where I wheel.
mKdyxFx.jpg

lAfxYNp.jpg

As for the tire carrier, I'd skip that and go for a Exogate, mated with a bumper that tucks in tight to the frame.

https://www.morryde.com/products/tailgate-reinforcement-2/

I too, run all Metacloak. Fenders, flares, front bumper (@Chris , cough cough) and their old rear bumper tire combo. They've been up against trees, smashed against rocks and have held up very well. No complaints. Very easy to touch up the factory powdercoat with rustoleum textured black.

For me, whats nice is they sell a stretched corner guard that retains their rear flares and mounting holes so a future stretch will be a relatively easy swap on the body. What I don't like about Metalcoak is they seem to discontinue parts, especially for the TJ's and alot of their new products, including the tub mount tire carrier is not of any interest to me, should I get another TJ to build. Oh, and I hate their "gold"..

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun and Apparition