Thoughts on recovery damper effectiveness?

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member

I was reading some reviews on the ARB recovery damper and came across a comment linking this video. Which brings up some questions. Are dampers effective? Are they more effective with winch cables instead of snatch straps?

Ronnie Dahl did a bunch of snapping winch line tests this last summer. My memory is that a damper did nothing to restrain a broken line. Steel or synthetic didn't matter.

Reactions: Apparition
Ronnie Dahl did a bunch of snapping winch line tests this last summer. My memory is that a damper did nothing to restrain a broken line. Steel or synthetic didn't matter.
Watch the video. It perfectly illustrates that dampers are stupid and any reliance on them is asking for severe damage to something if caught in the line of fire. Even more dumb if you imagine all the recommendations for sweat shirts, winch line weight bags, floor mats, etc. draped over steel lines. Just shows how ignorant folks are of two things, speed and force. The line will snap out from under most anything draped over it.

Watch the video. It perfectly illustrates that dampers are stupid and any reliance on them is asking for severe damage to something if caught in the line of fire. Even more dumb if you imagine all the recommendations for sweat shirts, winch line weight bags, floor mats, etc. draped over steel lines. Just shows how ignorant folks are of two things, speed and force. The line will snap out from under most anything draped over it.
So you’re saying that 10,000 lbs of line tension doesn’t change direction based on a 1 lb floor mat? Shocked I tell you, shocked :ROFLMAO:

the-table-cloth-trick_o_793837.gif