Thoughts on repairing a rusted floor pan?

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Have a 99 tj. After lifting the carpet I noticed a lot of rust on the passenger side front floor. The drain hole completely rusted through.
My thoughts on a quickie fix :
1. Clean up area and remove flaked rust, then sand.
2. Eastwood rust conververter. Top and under floor.
3. Eastwood rust encapulator top and under.
4. Lay fiberglass inside over floor board, and recut drain plug holes.
5. Sand and rattle can it.
What are yalls thoughts on this repair?

@Ranger_b0b might have some good insight on this. He's the "Rust Reformer" ;)

I would have to see photos, but my opinion is you need to cut the old, rusted metal out and weld new metal in it's place.

Reactions: Flivver250
Have a 99 tj. After lifting the carpet I noticed a lot of rust on the passenger side front floor. The drain hole completely rusted through.
My thoughts on a quickie fix :
1. Clean up area and remove flaked rust, then sand.
2. Eastwood rust conververter. Top and under floor.
3. Eastwood rust encapulator top and under.
4. Lay fiberglass inside over floor board, and recut drain plug holes.
5. Sand and rattle can it.
What are yalls thoughts on this repair?

I think that sounds like a terrible idea. sorry. You gotta cut the bad metal out and replace it.

This might work for you. I actually think it would work well for non-structural areas.

I think that sounds like a terrible idea. sorry. You gotta cut the bad metal out and replace it.

This might work for you. I actually think it would work well for non-structural areas.
Thanks for the reply. I think your right about new metal. I'm a concrete grinder, not much metal working experience( none), but maybe time to learn. Shaping and forming may be a pig without the proper tools.
I have seen preformed floor replacements that weld or rivet in. Any experience with these.
And hey thnx again for your reply.

For sure buy replacement pans. I would get the pans, Cut out your rusty areas, then measure and cut your patch out of the replacement panel. Get some 2 or 3 inch wide 16 ga strips and use that 3M body adhesive and rivets to make a flange around the hole. Then glue and rivet your patch panel in. Prime, paint, and throw the carpet back down. You'll want to paint or seal the "flanges" too.

Reviving old post. Working towards application of sound deadening per all of the informative threads - very hopeful for a much more quiet ride. Before that tho, I need to take care of some rusted floor pans, especially on the driver's side. Is there a preferred source for new sheet metal parts?

Offline246 - I just replaced the driver's side floor pan in my LJ. It's a pretty straight forward job and most of the usual Jeep suppliers can probably provide what you need. I got mine from "Just Jeeps" in Toronto which probably isn't going to be of much use to you.
https://www.justjeeps.com/jeep-wran...jeep-wrangler-tj-and-tj-unlimited-models.html

Before you replace all or any arts of your floor pan though make very sure that your torque box(es) are in good shape. I had to do the one on the driver's side and it's not a fun job. Hopefully you don't need one or both of these …
https://www.justjeeps.com/jeep-wran...-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-tj-unlimited-models.html
I'm a firm believer in Husky floor mats if you use your Jeep in the winter. WeatherTech is also good. Flat floor mats that allow water to drain off and soak the carpets is what usually leads to rusted floor pans. In my case, the passenger's side and both rear pans were in great shape as was the passenger's side torque box. The previous owner of my LJ used flat mats. The funny thing was that he wanted to keep them for his next Jeep. I gave them to him with a friendly warning of what would likely happen.

Reactions: Chris
I used a old stop sign on my cj many years ago. A little bit of cutting and bending to fit and self tapping screws. Worked fine for my purposes.

The removal of ALL rust is the key to any metal repair. The chemicals all say to remove the "flakey" stuff, but that will lead to a temporary patch at best. No chemical that you can slather over rust will compare to removing all rust first.

Your heater core is probably leaking if it’s rusted on the passenger, so I’d check and address that first else you’re just going to rust through whatever you put down.

After that, I’d just replace the pan on that side. Had my passenger side done a few months ago by a Jeep fab shop and it was something like $300 for parts and labor and it works perfectly. They make stamped replacement pieces that you can weld in if you’re handy.

1. Clean up area and remove flaked rust, then sand. Good first step
2. Eastwood rust conververter. Top and under floor. Rust converters don't work IME
3. Eastwood rust encapulator top and under. That just hides it
4. Lay fiberglass inside over floor board, and recut drain plug holes. No no no, this will make a nice habitat for more rust
5. Sand and rattle can it. If you can get solid clean metal, sure

My recommendation is scrape and wire wheel off the loose stuff, grind the rest til you get to clean metal, use evaporust to remove the rust pitting, cut and weld in new metal where the rust has eaten through, prime and paint.