Thoughts on this double DIN setup?

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have some cash saved up, and I’m tempted to use it to buy something “dumb” for my TJ. “Dumb” = something I don’t need, but may be cool to have.

I like the idea of a nice double din stereo. Like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301330NEX/Pioneer-AVH-1330NEX.html

I also found this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956541/Metra-95-6541-Dash-Kit-Black.html

I like the idea of having a back up camera as wel. And the ability to play movies/dvd/streaming for the kids is kinda cool too.

I also noticed this stereo has some sort of parking brake interlock. I attached a picture to this post. Is there a way to get around this?

It’s probably dumb to spend that much on a stereo, so it’s just a crazy idea right now :)

1D22010D-FB99-42C1-87A8-08E5D2D961E1.png

Reactions: skrelnik
I like buying "dumb equipment" as well. Audio for sure, and with Crutchfield, when you buy a double DIN head unit they offer you the dash bezel, harness, a radio antenna extension wire and instructions for a discounted price, I think it was $75.

Pioneer makes a great head unit, same with Kenwood, so shop those around for the features you want, CD player, streaming quality, HD radio, inputs for a front and/or rear camera. Even an HDMI port for a Amazon Firestick or similar device (Chromecast and Belkin miracast).

I have a manual transmission, so there is a bypass so you can play video while driving. You just have to ground it to the chassis instead of the e-brake. I want to say an automatic would be very similar, but can be done. Just need to remove a wire from the harness and lead it to a different ground, on the chassis. BUT, I will say a used IPad will be more useful for the kids.

Reactions: lovemachine
I also think the screen will be very hard to see in the day with the top off....I bought very similar head unit for my son, he loves it but me being the old fart hate the touch screen...I like buttons and dials???

I actually have that model in my "wish list," but have been hesitant because it looks like it uses an Android front end. I have been reading bad reviews, but would like to hear about first hand knowledge of the Android front end on car stereo's. I have an older model Pioneer on my Ram, it has a screen that comes out and lifts up, but the back-up camera is flaky on it, and I was thinking about upgrading it. I am curious about that one myself.

That dash bezel is the Metra equivalent of the one described here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/double-din-install.6428/

I have the same setup as the one in the thread (both the bezel and the head unit from the first post). Touch screens can be a little hard to see in the sun but it hasn't been a big problem. I don't have the Pioneer but mine has the parking brake interrupt as well, but it's optional to hook up - technically it's required to be used in some states but it's not like anyone knows if you actually hook it up or not.