Thoughts on this TJ?

taylormade73

Wob Free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
2005 LJR
118K miles
$13.9k
I had the salesman take this video for me since they are over 300mi away. Thoughts on the rust that's seen? I thought I saw a potential issue on the rear behind the bumper passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_9943.MOV
    6.9 MB
Looks pretty good for an Ohio Jeep. Passenger side under the skid plate seems like a bit more than surface rust; I'd be concerned about those nutserts. Rear passenger side near the bumper should probably be OK but definitely needs a wire wheel.

But you really can't tell without looking inside the frame. For that money I'd bring a borescope and get a good look inside the frame rails, especially at the skid plate area.

2005 LJR
118K miles
$13.9k
I had the salesman take this video for me since they are over 300mi away. Thoughts on the rust that's seen? I thought I saw a potential issue on the rear behind the bumper passenger side.
Can’t watch the video. Upload to YouTube. Price is tantalizing

That dark spot on the passenger side is probably not a rust hole, but I'd take a hammer and make sure.

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.07.30 AM.png

Stupid links.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Ok, not too bad. The worst spot looked like the rear passenger side frame. I couldn’t see if the rear driver side frame looked the same. It probably does. I’d make sure those spots are not rotted out with a ball peen hammer. Also, just in front of the rear control arms where they mount to the frame looks questionable and I’d check it. If this spots check out, when I got the Jeep I’d clean the rust off the frame and give it a good coat of Krylon semi-flat. I’d also clean out the frame and coat it with Eastwoods or POR-15. There’s a good thread on here somewhere about how to clean out the frame. I’d consider doing annual maintenance with fluid film if you live in a salt state.

I also noticed a small ding on the passenger side behind the door on the tub just above the diamond rocker panel. I’m sure you saw it, doesn’t look too bad, just something to consider and possibly use to bring the price down a little. At $13.9K make sure it is mechanically in good condition, though you’ll be doing a lot of maintenance initially so you know where you are with your rig.

Thank you. Will probably check it out this weekend. It's anniversary weekend so i mist be careful on how I work that into our travel plans lol.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Need answers quick if possible. In virginia noe looking at this jeep. Rust issues are very minor surface so not an issue. However check engibe light is on and reading codes p0031, p0037, p051, p0057, amd p0463. It seems unlikely all sensors would fail at once. Is this a serious issue that would cause enough concern to pass. Can it be safely driven like this? 05
LJR 118kmi dealer is asking 13.9k. Thought about offering 11k and going to 12k if I jave to. Thoughts?
d8d8461301e5e31346a8db2e94c6ff9b.jpg
50734490373e031f601e88bc0be63158.jpg
5b0cd2ddb8a3813d971d98a392ea1725.jpg
5ad995a8be221875821c956012c3d5e1.jpg
e08cb3d6166b061f05e9836b0cafc8a9.jpg

Also jas a clank when in 4lo going from drive to neutral. 4 hi and lo work and both front and rear lockers.

Need answers quick if possible. In virginia noe looking at this jeep. Rust issues are very minor surface so not an issue.

You sure?

Had salesman send more photosView attachment 95392

that's some significant rust eating around those holes. IF that was all there was I'd agree it's not an issue, but I'd be very concerned/interested to look inside to see what if anything lurks in there, could move the needle from minor to major...

Anyone...no one?

The codes can be dealt with, the rust is the wildcard

You sure?

that's some significant rust eating around those holes. IF that was all there was I'd agree it's not an issue, but I'd be very concerned/interested to look inside to see what if anything lurks in there, could move the needle from minor to major...

The codes can be dealt with, the rust is the wildcard
That ruat seemd like surface rust. No flaking or delam. I could scratch thru to bare shiny metal. The dark spot next to the skit plate bolt pointed out by an above comment was actually bare metal too. I felt no rust on inside of frame in any hole.

My concern are the simultaneous codes pointing to bad PCM and the clunk/grind/shriek noise from transfer case shifting into neutral from drive or reverse.