Thoughts / opinions on aftermarket soft tops?

Back In My Dream

Supporting Member
Last time I owned a Jeep, had both, didn't regret it! Was living on Long Island at the time. Now I'm about 1 1/2 hours north, still craving soft top. My new purchase is a hard top bc you can't control who you fall in love with 😍

No garage for a lift or protection. And single so no second person to help with removal of hardtop based on weather changes.

Recommendations, experiences, secret tricks, I'm all ears lol

When I lived in an apartment I could always find a neighbor to give me a hand for 5-10 minutes of the beer cooler was full and icy cold. Good way to make new friends too. I think the title was too long and cut off part of what you were asking about so this is my answer to what I think you were asking. My hard top was kept on a pallet for the summer. And in a back overgrown area. Only time it was a problem was when the lawnmower team came.

You could always try and find a good used factory soft top. Reviews seem very hit or miss on aftermarket ones. Bestop does still make tops for them though, and they made the factory one, so they would probably be your best bet.

Reactions: Back In My Dream
bestop is a good top and most will recommend it. Personally I have a rampage and love it. It’ll be my second (only reason I changed is color change to my Jeep and upgrade to sailcloth version. The fit is amazing. Maybe even a little too snug (latching the soft top back takes some leverage) very little road noise and virtually no flapping. The one complaint I have it the metal zippers it comes with rattle together. I cut them off and put zip ties in and will eventually make paracord zipper tabs.

There is absolutely no better soft top than Bestop... PERIOD.

I'll leave it at that, since that's the cold hard truth. Bestop is the OE supplier for Mopar, and their name is self explanatory :)

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...cement-soft-top-for-my-jeep-wrangler-tj.3203/
Haha, funny this topic just popped up. I was also searching for a soft top possibly for a birthday present to myself next week and was watching a product video for the SuperTop NX...when I saw @Jerry Bransford was featured in the Bestop video! I should mention that I did make the purchase too!

Last edited:
Haha, funny this topic just popped up. I was also searching for a soft top possibly for a birthday present to myself next week and was watching a product video for the SuperTop NX...when I saw @Jerry Bransford was featured in the Bestop video! I should mention that I did make the purchase too!

Too funny! I had no idea Jerry was featured in a Bestop video :ROFLMAO:

Well without a lift, or two people hardtop removal is not a lot of fun... beer does go a long way with neighbors... I built a dolly to remove ours for the first couple of years & that could be done by a single person (painfully).. until till we setup a lift (the best)... now due to circumstances we rarely use the soft top - :( ... Hardtop or no top

A few friends of ours have Bestop's & really like them (they are nice)... but we have a factory top & it has been great...

Assuming you need the soft top, the soft top frame & door surrounds, etc I would look at both Facebook Marketplace & Craig's List... you will probably find a great deal if you are not in a rush... If I read you profile correct you are in the Poughkeepsie area, so you should look at the marketplace & Craig's List in the NY & CT area... there are always listing in the 2 -3Hr surrounding area for what you are looking for.... at a good price.... negotiate & you will get a great deal.

Reactions: Back In My Dream
Bestop Sailcloth replacement top...still looks great after almost 10 years! It’s much quieter than the OEM was and can’t believe how well the fabric has held up. It fit perfect on the factory frame.
54328E0B-EB38-43A3-BDDD-EDAD232D7A7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Well without a lift, or two people hardtop removal is not a lot of fun... beer does go a long way with neighbors... I built a dolly to remove ours for the first couple of years & that could be done by a single person (painfully).. until till we setup a lift (the best)... now due to circumstances we rarely use the soft top - :( ... Hardtop or no top

A few friends of ours have Bestop's & really like them (they are nice)... but we have a factory top & it has been great...

Assuming you need the soft top, the soft top frame & door surrounds, etc I would look at both Facebook Marketplace & Craig's List... you will probably find a great deal if you are not in a rush... If I read you profile correct you are in the Poughkeepsie area, so you should look at the marketplace & Craig's List in the NY & CT area... there are always listing in the 2 -3Hr surrounding area for what you are looking for.... at a good price.... negotiate & you will get a great deal.
I did see a couple already and am not in a rush, would like to have for spring. Thanks for the info!!