Thread stripping problem with 10.9 metric bolts from Lowes

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I've had two 10mm nuts/bolts strip out at 40ft-lbs on me.

I've had one 8mm bolt snap off at 20 ft-lbs.

Getting frustrated. Not sure what to do. Menards and TSC have 10.9 bolts but they are black oxide so no good for corrosion/outdoors. Does anyone have good experiences with online? Bolt Depot?

(n)

Appreciate any insight here!!!

I'm going to contact Hillman tomorrow and see what they have to say.

45AC6BCC-F495-4206-9D2A-AD8FC9AC063A.jpeg

8CA094D3-7E0B-4C5D-9C5B-B63C84720483.jpeg

5780C295-F2D9-4438-B7BE-CC003F266315.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I've shopped at bolt Depot and been satisfied with their products and service. Another rplace I shop for hardware is on Ebay.

Reactions: Vtx531
I've had two 10mm nuts/bolts strip out at 40ft-lbs on me.

I've had one 8mm bolt snap off at 20 ft-lbs.

Getting frustrated. Not sure what to do. Menards and TSC have 10.9 bolts but they are black oxide so no good for corrosion/outdoors. Does anyone have good experiences with online? Bolt Depot?

(n)

Appreciate any insight here!!!

I'm going to contact Hillman tomorrow and see what they have to say.

View attachment 290388

View attachment 290389

View attachment 290390
Lots of good online places to get hardware. If you can handle the price, I've never had a single bad fastener from McMaster Carr.

I had an issue like this with Hillman 10.9 fasteners purchased at Ace Hardware bulk bins about 4 years ago. I had 3 strip the threads before I decided to put the project on hold while I waited for fasteners from McMaster-Carr.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Never seen that before, but I don't use Lowes for fasteners. Mostly places like TSC, big R, and lately Ace. I used to have a fastenal nearby that I used for specialty stuff but I heard they aren't selling to the general consumer anymore and I'm not close to the location that my company buys from.

I'm seeing some varying numbers as far as recommended torque, one chart I saw had zinc coated 10.9 at 42ft lbs for 10mm and 21ft lb for 8mm.

Other charts were higher, but didn't specify plating. Haven't heard of zinc coating making a difference before, but possibly that plus your antiseize and whatever torque wrench you're using could be causing your issues

Edit: here's a Fastenal chart

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECCgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2A5ZfWuEUkzhEwRwSnZMDL

"Metallurgy" has gone to SHIT now; fucking GARBAGE! Trying to sort through your fastener choices is like picking the leper with the most fingers to make your BBQ sandwich - no matter WHO you pick, you're gonna be eating something you don't WANT to eat...

I have a pile of fasteners from my Dad's old inventory, circa the '50's & '60's. It's jaw-dropping the difference in Rockwell hardness & quality! Not a SPOT of rust/corrosion on ANY of those simple cadmium fasteners even that they're at least 60 years old...

It's one of my MANY beefs with the World today; regrettably only us old timers seem to remember the difference/know better. I was just removing some curtain rod hardware from the house we just bought - simple "unscrewing" of these shite screws virtually stripped them out and made them unusable; this from a guy that DOES use the correct screw bit(s)...

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
I have a pile of fasteners from my Dad's old inventory, circa the '50's & '60's. It's jaw-dropping the difference in Rockwell hardness & quality! Not a SPOT of rust/corrosion on ANY of those simple cadmium fasteners even that they're at least 60 years old...

Isn't cadmium a sacrificial coating...

Reactions: WSS and TheGanzman
I'm seeing some varying numbers as far as recommended torque, one chart I saw had zinc coated 10.9 at 42ft lbs for 10mm and 21ft lb for 8mm.

Other charts were higher, but didn't specify plating. Haven't heard of zinc coating making a difference before, but possibly that plus your antiseize and whatever torque wrench you're using could be causing your issues

Edit: here's a Fastenal chart

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECCgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2A5ZfWuEUkzhEwRwSnZMDL
You see the difference between plain and coated, right?

The 45.2 vs 53.2 for 10mm?
Plain and unlubed is the highest torque number due to that being the highest amount of friction to overcome to reach the proper stretch of the bolt. Next is typically plated and then lubed. There is some contention that thread locking compounds are about the same lubricity as plated, so a slight additional reduction in torque is needed to avoid overtightening.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Plain and unlubed is the highest torque number due to that being the highest amount of friction to overcome to reach the proper stretch of the bolt. Next is typically plated and then lubed. There is some contention that thread locking compounds are about the same lubricity as plated, so a slight additional reduction in torque is needed to avoid overtightening.
So with the chart I linked showing 39.9 with a lubed 10mm, and OP using a zinc plated bolt with antiseize would it be unreasonable to think that it could strip at 40 ft lbs, not knowing the condition of his torque wrench, without anything being wrong with the bolt?

So I rigged up a fish scale to my torque wrench. Calculated it out to be clicking at about 45 ft lb when set at 39ft lbs.

Seems like that could be significant especially if combined with using k17 instead of k15

So with the chart I linked showing 39.9 with a lubed 10mm, and OP using a zinc plated bolt with antiseize would it be unreasonable to think that it could strip at 40 ft lbs, not knowing the condition of his torque wrench, without anything being wrong with the bolt?
Not likely since the highest torque value is typically 75% of proof which is when the fastener should fail.

So I rigged up a fish scale to my torque wrench. Calculated it out to be clicking at about 45 ft lb when set at 39ft lbs.

Seems like that could be significant especially if combined with using k17 instead of k15
No, that was a crap fastener, nothing more.

Reactions: pagrey