Throttle hand control options (Should I just by the one on Amazon?)

EROCK

TJ Enthusiast
Before I buy the Throttle Hand Control on Amazon. I remember reading people saying it sucked and they would use nicer quality Bike gear selectors. My question is, is there a better option that I can buy with everything I need. And if I piece one together, what selector are you guys using. I would prefer one that isn't indexed like my mtn bike selector. So I can select just the right amount of throttle. Thank you
TeraFlex 4870402 Throttle Hand Control Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CI42U3G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The sunrace shifter in the teraflex kit is under $10 and any bike shop will sell you cable for a few bucks. Just search for friction shifters and you'll find a million. I went to a local bike shop just to support the business and got everything there. I ran mine to the pedal instead of the throttle body, it uses less cable, doesn't go through the firewall and works the same. There's a thread here somewhere that describes it, inspired by the JK because they have to do it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: EROCK
I bought the kid you linked from amazon. Yes, you can source the shifter, cable and hardware all separately, but I chose to spend probably 2x to get it all in one swoop delivered to my door.

The kit works just fine. I have no idea if there are "better" shifters. I also don't know of any other comprehensive kits.

Mine is just an old bike friction shifter and some left over cable from a bike rebuild. An old sunrace shifter I think. They make shorter mountain bike style shifters that look like the kit. But I like how this long shifter works. It's obviously cut down from two to one. The mountain bike versions are left or right.

20220206_145811.jpg

And this at the throttle end with my tension set before zip tying the cable into place.

145025.jpg

Since I had everything my cost was ~$2 and my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EROCK and PRNDL
Before I buy the Throttle Hand Control on Amazon. I remember reading people saying it sucked and they would use nicer quality Bike gear selectors. My question is, is there a better option that I can buy with everything I need. And if I piece one together, what selector are you guys using. I would prefer one that isn't indexed like my mtn bike selector. So I can select just the right amount of throttle. Thank you
TeraFlex 4870402 Throttle Hand Control Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CI42U3G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Geez, thanks for the reminder. I need to get me one soon.

i run the Terraflex kit, no complaints, works as advertised and I wish I would have installed it earlier than I did. I can putt up hills without bouncing off the gas pedal and I can run it up and cruise at 70 on the highway if I wish to.

Reactions: EROCK and L J
The indexing on the terraflex one isn't too bad, I loosened mine a little so the indexes are really only tactile - but don't force the cable to sit there.

In any case, I love having a hand throttle - especially when you're in a spot you don't want to roll back from while getting back on the throttle. It's a lot more controlled.

I just bought the Teraflex version even though we are MTB fanatics. It's all there and I didn't have to spend hours piecing it together and figuring out how to do it. The benefits are fantastic, and I only wish I had done it sooner. Smooth driving, no jerky, bumpy motion over rocks from the foot bouncing on the accelerator. Way more control.

Whatever you buy, just make sure to mount it on the shifter as shown above. That's the only location that works well for for using it to control your 4Lo speeds on difficult trails. Run the cable down the shifter boot to connect it to the throttle lever.

Whatever you buy, just make sure to mount it on the shifter as shown above. That's the only location that works well for for using it to control your 4Lo speeds on difficult trails. Run the cable down the shifter boot to connect it to the throttle lever.
Do you recommend attaching the other end of it in the cab at the gas pedal or through the fire wall on the throttle body?

Last edited:
Do you recommend attaching the other end it in the cab at the gas pedal or through the fire wall on the throttle body?
Since you routed the cable down through the shifter boot so it's under the floor and above the transmission, route it forward then go up the firewall into the engine compartment and attach it directly to the throttle lever on the throttle body.

Well, I went ahead and bought the Terraflex kit!
Showed up in a day and was installed in an hour. I ran it down the stick shift and though the middle of the secondary boot. I don't have cruise control so it was super easy to put on. I will say, make sure you get it as tight as possible without it engaging the throttle. I crimped it with a tiny bit slack and it took 5-6 clicks to start doing anything. So I shortened it with no slack, verified my idle, recrimped and now it engages on the 2nd click. Just did a quick test run and I like it. 👍

Showed up in a day and was installed in an hour. I ran it down the stick shift and though the middle of the secondary boot. I don't have cruise control so it was super easy to put on. I will say, make sure you get it as tight as possible without it engaging the throttle. I crimped it with a tiny bit slack and it took 5-6 clicks to start doing anything. So I shortened it with no slack, verified my idle, recrimped and now it engages on the 2nd click. Just did a quick test run and I like it. 👍
I have mine set up similar, the throttle increases just after a click or two. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

I have mine set up similar, the throttle increases just after a click or two. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

How low on your shifter do you have it mounted? Mine is nearly mid-stroke before it starts opening the throttle, because if I put it all the way forward it hits the dash. Otherwise it would have to be way down the shifter away from my hand, or rotated sideways making it awkward to use with my thumb.

I crimped it really well so I doubt I'd be able to loosen and re-crimp, but I can go to a bike shop and get one of those slotted adjuster wheels to add to the hollow screw to add some more tension.

1650645073298.png

Last edited:
My hand throttle is a bike gear shifter mounted on the shift lever. The parts at the TB was salvaged from I think was a XJ, it's been so long... The one part fit right next to the throttle cable and cable slides through the ball connector with a cable stop from the hobby shop. They are used with servo cable connections.
Ht Cable1.jpg
Ht Cable2.jpg

How low on your shifter do you have it mounted? Mine is nearly mid-stroke before it starts opening the throttle, because if I put it all the way forward it hits the dash. Otherwise it would have to be way down the shifter away from my hand, or rotated sideways making it awkward to use with my thumb.
Mine is mounted directly under the knob. I am a little weird and use my pinky and index finger to push/pull the throttle. The throttle points to the center console.

Reactions: Akitadog