Throttle Position Sensor Connector

Rob83

Hello- I am new to the Jeep World-having purchased a 1994 Wrangler recently. When I experienced trouble with it starting, I checked a few things-one of which was the TPS sensor. In doing so i now find that the TPS plug connector is missing the U shaped clip on top that allows it to plug in snug and click in place to the TPS itself. Now the plug comes undone by barely touching it. I have searched all auto parts stores in my area and no one has a replacement that fits. Any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Btw-it is a 4.0L 6 cylinder

Have you had any luck with this? I just took a look online. I'm not 100% sure what style plug is on the 94, but I'm seeing many that look like a pretty standard Delphi Metri-Pak connector.

Try this though. Search for Mopar part number 05161920AA. Is this the same style you have?

Have you had any luck with this? I just took a look online. I'm not 100% sure what style plug is on the 94, but I'm seeing many that look like a pretty standard Delphi Metri-Pak connector.

Try this though. Search for Mopar part number 05161920AA. Is this the same style you have?
I believe. I will double check when I get home. Thank you for the reply and the info. This is my entrance in to the Jeep world.
C0201780-DD62-4ED5-899C-B195EC5F3E95.png

Reactions: bedhed
Dang! I stashed that link for future reference. That's the first time seeing or hearing of that ability.

Oh yeah, I use it all the time. I have it Stickied in the TJ Resources section because it's such a valuable resource.

Oh yeah, I use it all the time. I have it Stickied in the TJ Resources section because it's such a valuable resource.

Well damn. I didn't know that. I think I've gone to that section a few times already and I've missed it every single time. Truth be told, something interesting probably caught my eye and had zoned in like a deer in headlights. I need to go back in there and look. Hell, I probably haven't managed to make it to the bottom of the stickies without getting distracted lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
Hello- I am new to the Jeep World-having purchased a 1994 Wrangler recently. When I experienced trouble with it starting, I checked a few things-one of which was the TPS sensor. In doing so i now find that the TPS plug connector is missing the U shaped clip on top that allows it to plug in snug and click in place to the TPS itself. Now the plug comes undone by barely touching it. I have searched all auto parts stores in my area and no one has a replacement that fits. Any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Btw-it is a 4.0L 6 cylinder

In a pinch I have used a little bit of RTV to seal connectors shut when the locking feature has broken off or gone AWOL. It's not the most elegant, but it works. Then when you get around to a proper repair you can just scrape the RTV off and disconnect the two sides.

Great information all! Found what the issue was. Since the Jeep has been customized prior to me purchasing it- apparently most everything top side of block had been re done as well. So it turns out the actual TPS I replaced- using what auto parts store showed as factory replacement-didn’t fit the plug side snug....because everything had been redone. Nothing factory was going to fit. So I took old one and had to do some trial and error a couple of times, but found the right one that fits. Thanks to all of you.
another question-anyone know if it’s common with aftermarket custom suspension, for it to shake violently if I go over uneven pavement at around 30-40 mph or faster? Wife was behind me and said it looked like wheels were going to come off. Once I slowed down it stopped. FYI it seems this thing was built for rock climbing, even down to the air compressor built in under the hood, and 2 long air tanks underneath the chassis. Guessing that it’s just due to off road style suspension.......?

Great information all! Found what the issue was. Since the Jeep has been customized prior to me purchasing it- apparently most everything top side of block had been re done as well. So it turns out the actual TPS I replaced- using what auto parts store showed as factory replacement-didn’t fit the plug side snug....because everything had been redone. Nothing factory was going to fit. So I took old one and had to do some trial and error a couple of times, but found the right one that fits. Thanks to all of you.
another question-anyone know if it’s common with aftermarket custom suspension, for it to shake violently if I go over uneven pavement at around 30-40 mph or faster? Wife was behind me and said it looked like wheels were going to come off. Once I slowed down it stopped. FYI it seems this thing was built for rock climbing, even down to the air compressor built in under the hood, and 2 long air tanks underneath the chassis. Guessing that it’s just due to off road style suspension.......?
Good to hear, man. As for the violent shaking, that sounds like a issue that a search for "Death Wobble" will help resolve.

Sounds like someone put quite a treasure drove of aftermarket goodies into your YJ.

Sounds like you can start exploring just what you do have! Merry Christmas to you! Fun stuff.

Sounds like death wobble. There are likley 100's of posts on that subject. Look at upgrading any steering parts to ZJ components if you need them.

Also, a good supply of various zip-ties is handy. A couple of the small ones can usually hold connectors together. Put a squirt of dielectric grease inside to keep moisture out.

Welcome th the world of Jeeps. And welcome to the forum! Merry Christmas 🎅

Seeing as you have a YJ, and not a TJ; you might get better advice about your leaf spring suspension issues on a different Jeep site.