Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) going bad?

C.J. Roberts

TJ Addict
This morning, the Muddog, (2002, 4.0, 5 speed, 135000 miles) didn't want to start. Cranked for a while. Nothing. Tried again, got "Check Engine" and "Check Gauges".
Turned the key to get the code, P0320.
But then it started and I haven't had any more trouble.
Will a CPS give you some warning, or do they generally just quit?
Is there a brand preference on these, IE Mopar only?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Only go with a Mopar brand, yes. That can be said for all replacement electronic sensors on these things. Anything but Mopar is almost guaranteed to give you trouble. TJs have notoriously finicky electrical systems.

As with any electronic part, they can outright fail and just stop working, or they can slowly go bad. It sounds like you have one that is slowly going bad. My suggestion is to order a replacement, and carry it with you for when the old one craps out.

Here's the OE Mopar sensor for your 2002:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049EQSLS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I guess people really like it... 10 reviews, all positive.

P0320 is for a CKP/CPS crank position sensor. "-NO CRANK REFERENCE SIGNAL AT PCM"

You're right. I didn't read it right this morning. However question remains do these things just stop, or will it give some warning?

Sounds like you've already gotten your warning...I'd replace it if you don't want to chance getting stranded. If it's the cps, that is a non contact type sensor (hall effect, I believe) with no moving parts. Its just going to fail...no wear item to fail slowly.

Reactions: Teawithlee