Throw out bearing noise or something else?

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
So, I just had a new clutch / bearing installed a few weeks ago.

Friday I noticed some chatter that I'm thinking might be the throwout bearing.

Only thing making me question that is that the last time I had a throw out bearing go, it was more of a low rumble than this.

Noise stops when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Thoughts?

I'm interested in what the solution is as well. Mine makes a similar noise, not as clangy, when the clutch is out and also goes away when the clutch is depressed. Mines a NV3550

I have the same noise, but it is silent lutch out and noisy as soon as I depress the clutch.
We replaced the clutch & throw out bearing, no change.
Put an additive in the tranny, no change.

Boy, it sorta sounds like metal on metal. Does the rapping increase with rpm? A bearing normally has a more steady grind or growl. Was the flywheel pulled with the clutch job?

Same issue, noise goes away when clutch pedal is depressed.
Just a weight of a foot leaning on the pedal is enough to make it go away.

Jeep is at 130000 miles with NSG370.
I have driven and offroaded around the country for roughly 2 years with this noise. No grinding, no issues shifting, everything was smooth other than this dreaded noise.

Replaced clutch with LUK, their plastic throw out bearing, and Timken pilot bearing. After roughly 300 miles the noise is back 🤬.
Old clutch had easily another 200000 miles of life left in it.
Old throw out bearing was in better shape than the LUK plastic and defective National that i had to return. Tbh, little bit of cleaning, fresh grease, and it will spin trouble free for another 100000 miles.

Did anyone figure out what causes this noise?

this is my video, noise goes away when i slightly touch the clutch pedal.

Last edited:
My new National bearing is noise when the clutch is not depressed. Not that bad, noticeable to me. We have been building automotive throw out bearings for a century and now can't get it right.

Reactions: Ephry73
Alright, same thing only other way around, noise STARTS when clutch pedal is depressed.
Just a weight of a foot leaning on the pedal is enough to make it go away.

Jeep is at 130000 miles with NSG370.
I have driven and offroaded around the country for roughly 2 years with this noise. No grinding, no issues shifting, everything was smooth other than this dreaded noise.

Replaced clutch with LUK, their plastic throw out bearing, and Timken pilot bearing. After roughly 300 miles the noise is back 🤬.
Old clutch had easily another 200000 miles of life left in it.
Old throw out bearing was in better shape than the LUK plastic and defective National that i had to return. Tbh, little bit of cleaning, fresh grease, and it will spin trouble free for another 100000 miles.

Did anyone figure out what causes this noise?

this is my video, noise goes away when i slightly touch the clutch pedal.
This is EXACTLY the same noise mine is making.

My mechanic says he suspects input shaft bearing is the problem.

Building a bearing as cheaply as possible is the problem. We used to know how to build a bridge that lasts for centuries. Hell, some Roman bridges are still in daily use. Pilot bearing/bushing is a slight possibility or one missing too. Input bearing noise - try switching trans fluid to a better brand. But the throw out is definitely the most likley. Clutch fingers also possible but unlikely too.

This is EXACTLY the same noise mine is making.

My mechanic says he suspects input shaft bearing is the problem.

I doubt it be input shaft bearing. I am no bearing guru, but i had few experiences with wheel bearings going out in other cars. Their concept is the same, when shaft spins - it makes noise. But the key difference here is that they make a constant "wooooing" noise.
We have this sort of like "ticking/shear/chipping" noise that gets louder and quieter, which means that something is engaging and disengaging for a very short moment, and it goes away with the movement of clutch pedal.

Haha, i just found out that "depress" and "press" have same meaning, so we do have the same issue :giggle:

I am suspecting a throw out bearing, but is it the bearing itself?
If it goes away with a little bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, would that point to clutch master/slave cylinder?
What are the odds of clutch fork deforming just a little bit that it requires a little bit more of pressure from slave cylinder for a proper alignment?

This is a picture of my old pressure plate
20190921_120430.jpg

20190921_120459.jpg

Some wear marks on the teeth are shinier than the other. Does that indicate that throw out bearing was making more contact with one side than the other? if so, why, and was it during clutch engagement or not?
There is also another factor, my noise went away after replacing throw out bearing, and came back after roughly 300 miles.

This is a video of my old throw out bearing, i don't see any abnormalities.

My new National bearing is noise when the clutch is not depressed. Not that bad, noticeable to me. We have been building automotive throw out bearings for a century and now can't get it right.
Building a bearing as cheaply as possible is the problem

I ordered National as a replacement, it was off center badly, so i request a replacement and placed another order for Timken just in case. With heavy rains coming in, i decided to finish the job with a plastic one that came with LUK kit.
Few days later National and Timken arrived. National was off center again, and Timken had so much wobble and grinding that it would definitely seize up and explode over short period of time.
I ordered mine from Amazon, and starting to get the feeling that Amazon is outsourcing nothing but QC rejects, and then puts defective returns back into circulation.

I had a similar sound to this and it was actually bearing in the pulleys under the hood.

Swapped out, adjusted the serpentine belt tension and it went away.