Thumb throttle?

I also have the teraflex. It was cheap. Makes crawling over rocks a bit easier.
hand throttle.JPG
hand throttle1.JPG

Reactions: Alex01
When building your own. What length of cable do you recommend? I am guessing 6'.

Six feet sounds safe. Buy more than you need and cut to fit. Use shifter cable and housing rather than brake cable and housing. Two different things. The housing ends need to be ground clean at the cut.

20160912_190332.jpg

Reactions: Paparock1
Dumb question: are these levers spring loaded, or does it stay at a specific speed if you take your hand off?

(I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly.) :D

Dumb question: are these levers spring loaded, or does it stay at a specific speed if you take your hand off?

(I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly.) :D

Not spring loaded. The lever throttle kits you buy should all be using friction shifters. They will hold their position.

If you make your own, some bike lever shifters are indexed with clicks for each gear. You don't want that kind for this purpose.

So in other words, it's an extremely low speed cruise control?

It is. The fun part of that because this is no different than holding the throttle body open with your finger, if you set the throttle for a certain speed on an uphill the Jeep will suddenly accelerate on the downside.

And there is no reason the lever doesn't also do it's thing on the highway. :)

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
There is a tension knob so it can be either. It can stay where you leave it if you have the tension tight or the throttle body return spring will pull it if you have the adjustable tension light. I always leave mine light in case of accidental bump but can tighten the tension for it to stay where I leave it if desired.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb