Tick Tick Tick

Mine ticks from what sounds like the right side of the engine upon startup as well. But, only sometimes and only briefly, like 10 seconds. Having read it's something that many see and it doesn't appear to cause issue, I'm not going to worry too much.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
It's more than likely oil not being somewhere that it should be when you hear a tick at start up and then it quickly goes away. Once oil starts pumping around it relubes all those spots.

The max life is synthetic .
The Castrol Edge is not
I don't need synthetic do I?

Castrol Edge is full synthetic.
No you don't need synthetic but test do show it to be superior but today's dino's are far superior to yesteryears. You'll be fine no matter what you use just make sure you get proper weight, mine call for 10W30.

Should I use synthetic?
Going with a synthetic is a good decision if your local conditions are uber-cold, like below zero. Synthetic is proven to flow better during cold starts which is a reason to run it. But for non-uber cold conditions, a modern conventional motor oil like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc. is fine for all other conditions. I have run nothing but a conventional motor oil for over 50 years of driving and I have never had an engine failure. I ran synthetics in two Lexuses and one BMW for warranty reasons but once their warranties ran out, switched them both to conventional Valvoline motor oils years ago.

And going to a synthetic will not cure or help engine ticking. Synthetic motor oils are not all that much different from modern conventional motor oils.

Going with a synthetic is a good decision if your local conditions are uber-cold, like below zero. Synthetic is proven to flow better during cold starts which is a reason to run it. But for non-uber cold conditions, a modern conventional motor oil like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc. is fine for all other conditions. I have run nothing but a conventional motor oil for over 50 years of driving and I have never had an engine failure. I ran synthetics in two Lexuses and one BMW for warranty reasons but once their warranties ran out, switched them both to conventional Valvoline motor oils years ago.

And going to a synthetic will not cure or help engine ticking. Synthetic motor oils are not all that much different from modern conventional motor oils.
Ok thanks
Mississippi is hot and once in a blue moon gets down to 20.

Ok I'm at the parts store and looking at
ZMax
LUCAS
MARVEL mystery oil
What would be the best for the ticking
I'm still not sold on any of those additives. If it were my Jeep and I was having ticking and didn't know when the last oil changes was. I would change my oil using a good quality oil and filter. Start there and you will never go wrong.

I am 90% sure. ive been all around it and i can hear it best at the back of the valve cover . i did try and put a wrench to the exhaust manifold bolts just to make sure none were loose and all were good. I know that would not stop a leak but had to try.

The manifold and valve cover are close enough together to fool the ear but the sound produced are a little different imo.
I've had several engines that had lifter ticking when cold then subside when warmed up.
You may well have an manifold leak.
Have someone hold a rag over the tailpipe while you listen up front.
But as suggested, change the oil to see if that may be the culprit.

The manifold and valve cover are close enough together to fool the ear but the sound produced are a little different imo.
I've had several engines that had lifter ticking when cold then subside when warmed up.
You may well have an manifold leak.
Have someone hold a rag over the tailpipe while you listen up front.
But as suggested, change the oil to see if that may be the culprit.
X2

Reactions: Chris
i think its just when it starts up . Ill pay closer attention. after changing the oil i cranked it and could vaguely hear it. I got under it and heard it better like it was in the oil pan and on the drivers side. hard to tell.