Tie downs for towing chains vs straps

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I currently use chains and ratchet binders at all four corners for securing my Jeep to the trailer. However I just bought a brand new 2021 PJ trailer with multiple anchor types that I didn’t have before since my 2015 model was stolen. I’ve been looking into 2” straps and axle wraps lately. I like the MAC’s set up however they seem overpriced to me. But what do I know. I guess I have more than the $269 in all my chains and binders Are they worth the price or is there another brand to check out. Thanks

532619EE-C714-4106-80CF-E1D68B395A01.jpeg

083E6269-B012-401B-8DE8-4EE31D3F0A89.jpeg

So I currently use chains and ratchet binders at all four corners for securing my Jeep to the trailer. However I just bought a brand new 2021 PJ trailer with multiple anchor types that I didn’t have before since my 2015 model was stolen. I’ve been looking into 2” straps and axle wraps lately. I like the MAC’s set up however they seem overpriced to me. But what do I know. I guess I have more than the $269 in all my chains and binders Are they worth the price or is there another brand to check out. Thanks

View attachment 210275

View attachment 210277

What did the PJ trailer run ya? I've been looking around to buy one.

Another Mac’s user here. Their ratchets are the best I’ve used.

I just received a set of the mac’s weld on axle brackets that I will use instead of the axle straps I currently run. Just trying to make things a little easier.

View attachment 210275

View attachment 210277
Mac's stuff is good. It is however, not the only good stuff out there and there is certainly a premium attached to their prices. If you want to shop around, there are other suppliers that have quality gear. Study up a bit on how you want the hooks on the straps, get long handle ratchets, and then decide if you want axle straps separate or incorporated.

Another Mac’s user here. Their ratchets are the best I’ve used.

I just received a set of the mac’s weld on axle brackets that I will use instead of the axle straps I currently run. Just trying to make things a little easier.
I wanna see pics of those way overpriced axle brackets after you get them installed. I can see no place they will work in the front. That and it shows a serious lack of design skill to cut those out of a single piece of square tube when you can just laser them out and pop two bends in for 1/5th the price. Which by the way, someone has already done.

Reactions: Apparition
I wanna see pics of those way overpriced axle brackets after you get them installed. I can see no place they will work in the front. That and it shows a serious lack of design skill to cut those out of a single piece of square tube when you can just laser them out and pop two bends in for 1/5th the price. Which by the way, someone has already done.
Black Friday sale. Not sure if they will work or not on the front but the straps don’t work the best there either.

I will also say I’ve talked with the people at Macs and they were extremely knowledgeable and helpful so I don’t mind spending a bit extra to support them.

Black Friday sale. Not sure if they will work or not on the front but the straps don’t work the best there either.

I will also say I’ve talked with the people at Macs and they were extremely knowledgeable and helpful so I don’t mind spending a bit extra to support them.
Did you try to talk to other rigging companies who weren't helpful?

Reactions: Apparition
not saying there aren’t others that are good or even better but I am not aware of them.

I have had several ratchet strap brands in my life and these are, as said above, the best I’ve used.

What did the PJ trailer run ya? I've been looking around to buy one.
This one was $3800 with the upgrades I added. It’s a 20’ so 18’deck and 2’ dovetail rated for 10400#. I got brakes on both axles, a total of 8 d rings welded on and another 4 movable d-ring mounts that go into stake pockets, rub rails, rear stabilizer jacks for loading, rear pull out ramps, removable fenders, and a spare tire and mount and a winch mount. Then I added a front storage box when I got it home. I drove to TX to pick it up and saved myself about 1500 over what they wanted for the same trailer here in CO. Plus I was going to have to wait 8 weeks for them to get one. That’s why it’s hooked to the Jeep in the picture. Much better mileage than my truck. I averaged 21mpg pulling that empty trailer with the Grand Cherokee from Amarillo to Colorado Springs.

If you know of another rigging company I should be looking into I’m all ears for sure. I’ve found plenty of stuff online when searching with prices all over the board for the stuff. I just can’t tell if one is better than the other on all these companies quality wise. I only know the MAC’s stuff from online videos as well as a friend that bought some. I do not plan to weld on mounts to my axles. It will be axle straps unless over the tire or tire lasso style is better and safer I’m open to new ways of tie down. I’ve always used chains as I mostly move tractors or implements and that what I own.

I've got a set like this one from Poly Performance and the straps work great and I've been using them since 2006. Just now thinking about getting a new set.

Poly Performance 12' Ratcheting Tie Down w/ Integrated Axle Strap Kit | POLY PERFORMANCE
Do you like having the integrated axle loop in the strap? At first I thought I’d like it but then thought it might make the straps not as versatile for use on other things.

View attachment 210306

View attachment 210307