Tie rod options

CasterTroy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since Tie Rod (tierod) is too short a word for search, I'll post this as a "new" question. If it's been answered, just link the thread here

Anyway...I want to upgrade the steering components to match my terrain and tires. I'm only running 33's but with lockers. I need something beefier, but I'm not sure I'm ready to punch a $550 hole in the checking account for the Currie Curreclync system just yet

I've heard of several people going the ZJ conversion way. But then you have the argument: Is it really that much cheaper. So I don't know.

My fear is I'll look back and wish I'd DONE the currie setup to begin with

I got the crown automotive "upgrade" and within 3 months moved up to the Currie setup. Happy now, but I wasted money on the crown.

My TJ isn't a dedicated crawler. I still enjoy the benefits of a top down daily driver in the summer, so it still needs to have great on-road manors.

Anyone on HERE upgraded? What did you choose? Regrets?

I went with the Currie Currectlync over the ZJ steering. I was having a debate about which one I wanted, and which one I truly needed.

The Currectlync is overkill for me, but I tend to like to go the 'overkill' route.

I'm REALLY glad I went with the Currectlync. The pictures don't do it justice. When you take off your stock steering and compare it side-by-side with the Currectlync, it's astonishing how much beefier the Currie system is. It makes your stock steering look puny.

One look at the Currectlync and you'll see that it's pretty much indestructible unless you're the most hardcore of hardcore wheelers.

For me, I only use my TJ for occasional wheeling, it's not a dedicated crawler by any means.

The on road manners are better than stock (honestly) and it really, really tightens up the steering in a good way.

I do not regret this upgrade one bit, it's money well spent.

I got mine from Amazon (I usually always get stuff from them since they have good prices and free shipping).

Looks like they sell the Currectlync for $515 and free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM9F5M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: CasterTroy
Also, stay away from crossover steering system, OTK steering systems, etc.

The Jeep engineers designed the steering the way it is for a reason. Crossover and OTK steering systems have their place, but for the purpose you and I use our Jeeps for it's a complete waste.

I've been pestering Metalcloak about a HD tie rod option for the TJ. They assure me that they are working on it.

I'm sure Metalcloak might have something for the JKs (that's where all the money is after all), but I have yet to see them do anything for the TJ steering wise.

AARGHHHH! Are we TJ folks becoming orphans!?

Well, if you're in the business of making money you'd be making products first and foremost for the JK as that's where most of the money is.

The hardcore guys will always make TJ stuff though, no doubt.

You never realize how puny the stock steering is until you compare it to these others!

Since Tie Rod (tierod) is too short a word for search, I'll post this as a "new" question. If it's been answered, just link the thread here

Anyway...I want to upgrade the steering components to match my terrain and tires. I'm only running 33's but with lockers. I need something beefier, but I'm not sure I'm ready to punch a $550 hole in the checking account for the Currie Curreclync system just yet

I've heard of several people going the ZJ conversion way. But then you have the argument: Is it really that much cheaper. So I don't know.

My fear is I'll look back and wish I'd DONE the currie setup to begin with

My TJ isn't a dedicated crawler. I still enjoy the benefits of a top down daily driver in the summer, so it still needs to have great on-road manors.

Anyone on HERE upgraded? What did you choose? Regrets?

Ruffstuff 1Ton TJ upgrade (need to ream the knuckles though). Also, ZJ upgrade here no stabilizer , here with stabilizer ( both new 12 month 12K mile warranty).

Currie Correctlync® for $529.00 shipped. PM to order Currie.

Allen

I would hope so. The factory tie rod is like that, Currie's kit is like that, the ZJ tie rod is like that, etc.

Yes but with a hex nut and an adjustable wrench. :)

ylink-500x500.jpg

Reactions: mouth and Chris
I dunno but I don't need a wrench to turn my tie rod or drag link adjustment link. I put a dab of antiseize on the threads when I installed them so they don't seize up and require a wrench. The factory doesn't do that with the OE tie rod and it can be a booger to turn but my Currie doesn't require a wrench to turn them to make any adjustments. I only need a wrench to loosen the clamp nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ