Tight tuck tire carrier?

JeeperSleeper

My question is are there any tight to the body carriers out there? I can't seem to find one...

I recently sold my sh**ybuilt tire carrier to switch over to a moyride tailgate hinge setup. Although I run jeep jk hardrock rims on my TJ. Which means I need an adapter on the Carrier to mount it.
(I believe wheels have around 5.2" of backspacing) I run an 11.5" tire, yeah ik it's an odd size.

Thanks!

1A2BA5AE-F03B-4821-8AE7-1D39FCED6201.jpeg

You're going to have to make one or have it fabbed up, of the tailgate mount tire carriers I have seen they are all pushing the tire further out unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and L J
Although I run jeep jk hardrock rims on my TJ. Which means I need an adapter on the Carrier to mount it.
(I believe wheels have around 5.2" of backspacing) I run an 11.5" tire, yeah ik it's an odd size.
Just spitballing here but ... can you remove the spacer and 5 on 4.5 lugs, drill the mount for 5 on 5 and install new lugs?

Reactions: rasband
Reactions: Irun
My question is are there any tight to the body carriers out there? I can't seem to find one...

I recently sold my sh**ybuilt tire carrier to switch over to a moyride tailgate hinge setup. Although I run jeep jk hardrock rims on my TJ. Which means I need an adapter on the Carrier to mount it.

Thanks!

View attachment 368171

I used the moryde tailgate reinforcement, then bought a aftermarket tire carrier but that stuck way too far out. I picked up a stock one and instead of using the brackets that came with the reinforcement to move the carrier up. I modified the original by cutting the top lip with the mounting holes welding a piece of flat bar below it then adding a piece to the bottom mount. I adjusted the snubbers to contact the tire and made an extension for the factory high mount brake lamp out of a flat piece of plastic and pvc pipe. I am happy with the results. I run 35”x12.5x15” tires on 15x8 wheels with 4” backspacing

1158EA67-EA3F-4A3B-B145-F5FF7019C88E.jpeg

F585E46D-3629-4FED-A40B-1E67072EC935.jpeg

9E8A31BF-C644-4C75-A75C-9FB461B1938D.jpeg

Reactions: Necro
I gave some details on how I mounted a spare tire on my LJ that might give you some ideas starting with this post and continuing for a few posts:

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/th...r-dimension-mounting-depth.57374/post-1009497[/URL]

So I ended up purchasing this carrier based on all the comments on this post. Although when I went to put the tire on top to mount the studs I noticed it hits the sidewall. Am I missing something? The post said people were mounting 13"wide tires and mine is only 11.5".

So I ended up purchasing this carrier based on all the comments on this post. Although when I went to put the tire on top to mount the studs I noticed it hits the sidewall. Am I missing something? The post said people were mounting 13"wide tires and mine is only 11.5".

I'm not sure where the mount is hitting the sidewall, but you do want the tire to snug up tight to the mount and tailgate to prevent it from shaking. Shaking is what tears the sheet metal. There are normally factory rubber bumpers installed on the tailgate that the tire sits against using the stock carrier that prevent wobble/shake. Also tire width vs backspacing comes into play also. If your rims don't push out the tires far enough then the tire will hit even though it's skinnier than others.

Edit: The stock JK rims tuck the tires under much farther than TJ specific rims do. Just add a wheel spacer/adapter between the tire carrier and the rim and you should be fine.

I'm not sure where the mount is hitting the sidewall, but you do want the tire to snug up tight to the mount and tailgate to prevent it from shaking. Shaking is what tears the sheet metal. There are normally factory rubber bumpers installed on the tailgate that the tire sits against using the stock carrier that prevent wobble/shake. Also tire width vs backspacing comes into play also. If your rims don't push out the tires far enough then the tire will hit even though it's skinnier than others.

Edit: The stock JK rims tuck the tires under much farther than TJ specific rims do. Just add a wheel spacer/adapter between the tire carrier and the rim and you should be fine.

Yes I believe I will need the spacer, which is unfortunate because i don't think the studs will be long enough which means the whole being able to mount a jk wheel is useless. I'll have to mount the studs on the Carrier for a TJ wheel and use an adapter. (The tire is hitting the carrier, so I can't mount it completely)