Jorge Bolivar

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hi Jeeper and Jeeples,
Is time for me to get a trailer and start hauling my LJ around and as a Forum loyal fella the best and smart is to start asking you fellas.
I do solidly drive my Jeep anywhere when I'm Home and to any wheeling trip my Club members and Me go. This past months I have been driven it down to Florida, South Carolina, Indiana, Southern Ohio and Kentucky and I think my trips will be more safe if I do at least haul the LJ on the Highway, just to mention one of the benefits.
Here some of my question for the moment.

Any particular traffic law I need to be aware of?

Any informational websites?

Any particular trailer design I have to be looking for?

Did U-Haul sold their used trailers as they do with the Trucks?

I'm probably missing many other important questions so any input is always well appreciated.

Tow rig will be F150 with plans to be upgrade to a F250 Super Duty.

I do also read and comment on this thread that help me to go with a trailer.

Thanks in advance.

Are you considering a dolly?
My guess is Uhaul would run their dollies/trailers into the ground before selling them unlike an older truck which they would not want to break-down on a customer.

I have an 18 foot tilt bed trailer tows really nice and is very easy to load. Most trailers design to tow the vehicle would have dual axle electric brakes the surge brakes on the uhaul trailersI believe make it a little bit rougher on your vehicle

I haul my LJ (which fully loaded probably weighs in the 4500lb+ range) on a standard 7k trailer. I tow with an F250 superduty and have no issues. Probably a 10k trailer might be better from a weight perspective (as I'm close to max load limit now), but like anything else, money talks....

I was looking the other day Uhaul does not sell used trailers because they don't want people claiming they are purchased while in reality they were stolen. I just used a uhaul over the weekend to tow my jeep down to southern california. The tire holder is not long enough so I had to tie it down with 2 inch tiedowns and bypass the uhaul system. My Ram ecodiesel towed it just fine so I am assuming your f150 will work great.

I tow my LJ with a 3rd gen ram 2500 diesel. I used to use a 36ft (I'm guessing because the deck was 30ft) triple axle goose neck. Empty it was probably 7k lbs, the truck was within 500lbs of max weight so shes a bit of a pig. You have to look at the door for max GCVW, max payload, and max tow weights. You have to stay under all of these to be fully legal. I now use a 20ft aluminum trailer and it's sooooo much nicer. The truck used to be a dog on every hill, I had to make sure I was perfect on every shift, now I can slack off. Also on the big trailer it didn't have d rings in the deck so I used chains and binders to tie down. The new one does and I use axle straps and wratchets to tie down. Works much faster and easier. One thing to keep in mind when selecting straps over chains is that straps will have to be replaced every few years for saftey. Spend the extra on a good trailer with good brakes and working lights. It's worth it in the long run. Then take the time to setup your tongue weight correctly so it tows well. All this stuff is for the saftey of you, your family, and the bus load of nuns going the opposite direction.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: RussTJ
IMG_20180522_160029.jpg
I just purchased a 14' bed trailer for my LJ, I got it tied down and secured just fine. Just completed a 850 trip today. The trailer ran fine, the Jeep never moved a bit. Trailer is rated at 7500 lbs.
Having said all the above I would probably go with the 16 ft. Just to have more tie down options.

Reactions: Cisco Kid
20 is a bit excessive but not huge, 18 is fine but 16 isn't leaving you any room to play with tonge weight. Your LJ is going to be about 14ft long from bumper to spare tire (depending on your exact build) overhanging the front or back a bit is just fine though as it's the wheelbase that really matters to the deck size. However if you overhang too much one way or the other it may attract attention from inspectors or highway patrol, just because it looks odd. Just the same far too large of a trailer will also attract attention.

Another nice feature on a trailer for your jeep is a dove tail and rear jacks. The dovetail will let you drive on with no ramps and the rear jacks will help support the weight of the jeep while you do it. Keep in mind with all that leverage you can lift the rear tires of the tow rig and that means no more ebrake or park pin holding you in place. I personally always put the truck in 4wd and 1st when loading, I also use wheel chocks of some kind if they are handy.

Reactions: derekmac
All,
Great info here. You Fellas are hardcore Jeepers without a doubt. I get busy changing a machine program and completing some testing before jump on the plane back home for the Holiday but will replay to every one soon or in the Morning (EST)

View attachment 42159 I just purchased a 14' bed trailer for my LJ, I got it tied down and secured just fine. Just completed a 850 trip today. The trailer ran fine, the Jeep never moved a bit. Trailer is rated at 7500 lbs.
Having said all the above I would probably go with the 16 ft. Just to have more tie down options.
Betting your total length is 16-17ft with the tonge?

Also when looking at trailers keep an eye on weights when you consider deck material. My buddy has 2 aluminum trailers about the same length, one is a wood deck and the other is a full ridged aluminium plate deck there's about 1000lbs difference between em. It's not all in the deck for sure but a chunk of it sure is.

Also a wood deck won't burn you on a hot day lieing on it to strap down the jeep or fix something.

I went with a 14' (17' overall) tandem + brakes on both axles. Mostly because I towed it with a 31' Moho and the combo fit in my 12'x50' storage cage.

Are you considering a dolly?
My guess is Uhaul would run their dollies/trailers into the ground before selling them unlike an older truck which they would not want to break-down on a customer.
Hi @cjaama ,
Yes, I do highly considering get a dolly, Honestly due the driveway space I do have this should be the way I should go.
I do agree that if Uhaul sold a trailer or dolly will be beat to dead first but they are hot dip galvanized and no matter what direction I head it will be stored outside so the elements will not affect the looking of it.

I have an 18 foot tilt bed trailer tows really nice and is very easy to load. Most trailers design to tow the vehicle would have dual axle electric brakes the surge brakes on the uhaul trailersI believe make it a little bit rougher on your vehicle
Thanks for the info @59 wagon man, I have never mess with a tilt trailer, I know someone that has one, may need to try his once and see. Like the fact that no need to be messing with ramps.

I was looking the other day Uhaul does not sell used trailers because they don't want people claiming they are purchased while in reality they were stolen. I just used a uhaul over the weekend to tow my jeep down to southern california. The tire holder is not long enough so I had to tie it down with 2 inch tiedowns and bypass the uhaul system. My Ram ecodiesel towed it just fine so I am assuming your f150 will work great.
Thanks for the tie down advise @Alex01, I have a Uhaul trailer reserved for my next expedition and for sure will face the same issue.

Reactions: Alex01
The one major concern with a dolly is trail damage. If you break something that effects the rear drive line you may be screwed and have to get a flat bed to take both the jeep and dolly home. Also given that you are looking at using a 1/2 ton truck for now if you try and find a used uhaul trailer (dolly will be fine) check weights as you may find yourself quickly over the limit.

I tow my LJ with a 3rd gen ram 2500 diesel. I used to use a 36ft (I'm guessing because the deck was 30ft) triple axle goose neck. Empty it was probably 7k lbs, the truck was within 500lbs of max weight so shes a bit of a pig. You have to look at the door for max GCVW, max payload, and max tow weights. You have to stay under all of these to be fully legal. I now use a 20ft aluminum trailer and it's sooooo much nicer. The truck used to be a dog on every hill, I had to make sure I was perfect on every shift, now I can slack off. Also on the big trailer it didn't have d rings in the deck so I used chains and binders to tie down. The new one does and I use axle straps and wratchets to tie down. Works much faster and easier. One thing to keep in mind when selecting straps over chains is that straps will have to be replaced every few years for saftey. Spend the extra on a good trailer with good brakes and working lights. It's worth it in the long run. Then take the time to setup your tongue weight correctly so it tows well. All this stuff is for the saftey of you, your family, and the bus load of nuns going the opposite direction.

Thanks @Drizit
Definitely will look into the door label, Mine and others with me and around is priority. D rings added to my check list.