Time for new shoes and boots. Wheels and tires

penk

TJ Enthusiast
My TJ has stock Jeep rims which can't handle the 31s without spacers. My TJ guru strongly recommends getting wheels with the right offsets.

So here's what I'm looking for.
Rims:
-12 offset
9"
16"

Tires:
31". Yoko's preferably. Don't need mud, but better than radials. This isn't my daily drive and I like woods trails.

My TJ looks pretty stock so I don't need glitz (and I'm an older guy so I'm half tempted to get white rims :). So I'm looking for wheel and tire recommendations.

Wjadya think?

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

I just went through this same predicament this week. 31s on your stock wheels will work, with no rub, by adding a couple washers on your steering stops. I did not want to go that route, and the stock wheels on my wife's Jeep have seen better days, so I ordered some new wheels. I learned with the help on here, the tires and wheels are cheaper and more readily available in the 15" inch sizes. And, It seems that backspacing is more critical to your Jeep than offset. I looked at hundreds off wheels recently, and if my memory is right, the wheels you listed should work fine. I went with 15x8, 4" backspacing, and Goodyear Duratracs (15"). If you look at my post " Noob Wheel and tire ?", a couple of guys explained the backspacing deal to me. Tirerack will mount and balance your tire and wheels if you find a package you like on their site. I could not find the wheels I wanted on site so I went different source. Got wheels on Amazon I wanted for best price, and tires from Tirebuyer. They have a special, free delivery to an installer, $30 off if you have delivered to installer, and $30 off if you use mobile (total bill). I just called them and they honored $30 mobile deal.

Reactions: UpperMI