Time to be a real Jeep!

Your brake pads are upside down.

Got a diagram or anything showing what the difference is? Done a quick search around some forums and can't tell where this notch is that everyone speaks of.

Edit: never mind, just noticed what you're talking about. Thought it was something like an indicator stamped into them or something, not having them swapped with the other side and actually being upside down. Must've done that when I swapped the pads right before this.🤦‍♂️ Thanks!

Last edited:
Update:

Might end up having to do some frame repair. Not sure the nut serts will have any frame to safely grab. Pretty rusty.

'might'?

When you can reach into the frame through a hole that wasn't present when it left the factory you've crossed into absolutely must repair territory. Whether or not there's enough frame meat on the nutsert to hold onto today is not, or should not be, the metric used to determine if a repair is warranted.

Yep! Never would've thought I had this much rust, with how clean the rest is. Going to see if I can patch small bits first, then put the big piece that runs the whole section on later.

it looks like the lower rails need to be cut out entirely and replaced with Safe-t-cap type aftermarket rails.

As far as the rest of it being clean, I'd seriously go back and reassess that conclusion and dive very deep into every inch of that frame. If you missed this very easily identifiable rust it is probable you missed more as it is very rare to have advanced rust limited to one area.

'might'?

When you can reach into the frame through a hole that wasn't present when it left the factory you've crossed into absolutely must repair territory. Whether or not there's enough frame meat on the nutsert to hold onto today is not, or should not be, the metric used to determine if a repair is warranted.

"Might" might've been the wrong choice of word. I'm not driving it until it's fixed. I'm just weighing my options on what the best choices are for the situation.
As far as the rest of it being clean, I'd seriously go back and reassess that conclusion and dive very deep into every inch of that frame. If you missed this very easily identifiable rust it is probable you missed more as it is very rare to have advanced rust limited to one area.

Oh, I plan on it. I'll probably be hitting some inner areas with a wire brush sometime soon. I'd like to think this is localized to that one spot, considering I've never seen anything anywhere else on it. But I'm definitely looking it over.

"Might" might've been the wrong choice of word. I'm not driving it until it's fixed. I'm just weighing my options on what the best choices are for the situation.

Oh, I plan on it. I'll probably be hitting some inner areas with a wire brush sometime soon. I'd like to think this is localized to that one spot, considering I've never seen anything anywhere else on it. But I'm definitely looking it over.

it's pretty easy, start at any corner you want and stick a finger in every single access hole & feel around for flakes & chunks, move to the next and repeat. Also, get an endoscopic camera for $30 from Amazon that will connect to your phone by wifi & look even deeper. This is a good way to truly learn the extent of the damage in areas of the frame that 'look' normal from the outside. There are no shortage of frames that give the appearance of good health to the average person but hide catastrophic damage inside. Once you know the true extent of the rust you'll be in a position to determine what remediation steps are needed.

Reactions: AWayne