Tip on extending bearing life

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
This is not a fix for bad bearings , but a tip to extend bearing life .

With many sealed bearings, even front hub bearings, the seal can be gently removed with a pick and the bearing greased , and seal reinstalled. The hub bearings have 2 seals on my 03.

You will notice many bearings aren’t well packed when new.

I learned this working on dirt bikes , you can repack a bikes wheel bearing in the hub if you are careful .

Remember, anywhere you have grease, mud and water can’t easily go.

Again , this trick helps, but it doesn’t fix bad bearings or save the world. Be gentle , use a small pick , and pay attention. Be sure to reseat the seal.

I consider this bearing service , something to do when I’m already close to one, but don’t plan to replace it.

Bottom line is most sealed bearings aren’t permanently sealed, they just have covers. Don’t do this unnecessarily, but it’s a good tip for older bearings that you want to last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
I used to do mud, but I don't mess with it anymore. That stuff is way too dirty, gets everywhere, and just ends up messing everything up. I prefer the dry desert like those guys have down in Southern California and Utah!

Reactions: tworley
You can also give any bearings and any bearing races an isotropic treatment as well as micro polishing.
0D31CC85-0ACC-4D70-A437-521A6DC53290.jpeg
This will drastically improve the life of the bearings, the races, and cut friction way down.

Last edited: