Tips for finding ammo online

06lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I figured I'd see if anybody has some good tips for finding ammo they would like to share. I have had pretty good luck and was able to build a small reserve on top of my normal stock.

Tip #1.
Federal Ammo's website updates shortly after 2pm PST (usually between 2:10-2:12). Not all items become available and what does sells out within minutes. Be logged in to your account and have your credit card ready.
Federal has raised their prices but still are not as ridiculous as some vendors.

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I use gunbot.net . It's an aggregator that lets you sort by caliber, price per round & link you out to the retailer. It'll also tell you if it's in stock, but I've found that feature bats about .750 recently.

Reactions: Rubi04 and Daron

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
More on optics planet. You don’t get charged until shipment. I’ve placed a couple orders as I doubt it’s going to get any cheaper anytime soon.
Man optics planet is really annoying me right now. Last month I ordered a AR rail with a estimated shipping time of 9 to 18 days, few days later the shipping date updated to 12/23 or later. Tried to use their "contact us" tab, kept getting errors, tried calling but they're not answering the phone, had to look at my email invoice and directly email a salesman to cancel my order.

Now I'm running into another problem with my new order. Ordered a in stock rail on 11/3 that was supposed to ship in 4 days. On 11/6 I received a tracking email for USPS. Read that USPS created a pre shipping label and they are waiting to receive the order. Well today is 11/14 and USPS is still waiting for my order and I just had to navigate through all their "amazing" customer service options to try and track down where my order is. So far I've got a automated email saying they will get back to me in up to seven days.

Meanwhile I place a order with Brownells 2 days ago, got many emails and was told tomorrow I will receive my order. Think I'll be avoiding Optic Planet for a little bit😕

Tomcat

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I like how they will create a shipping label so they can change your cc, but not ship the order.
Blame it on the Rice Rabies like they all do.

Reactions: THEREALJIM

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
I like how they will create a shipping label so they can change your cc, but not ship the order.
Blame it on the Rice Rabies like they all do.
I should have trusted my gut feeling and order from a different site but I kept hearing good things about them so I wanted to give them a shop. Yeah I'm a idiot🤦‍♂️ lol

Apparition

Notable member
Supporting Member
Man optics planet is really annoying me right now. Last month I ordered a AR rail with a estimated shipping time of 9 to 18 days, few days later the shipping date updated to 12/23 or later. Tried to use their "contact us" tab, kept getting errors, tried calling but they're not answering the phone, had to look at my email invoice and directly email a salesman to cancel my order.

Now I'm running into another problem with my new order. Ordered a in stock rail on 11/3 that was supposed to ship in 4 days. On 11/6 I received a tracking email for USPS. Read that USPS created a pre shipping label and they are waiting to receive the order. Well today is 11/14 and USPS is still waiting for my order and I just had to navigate through all their "amazing" customer service options to try and track down where my order is. So far I've got a automated email saying they will get back to me in up to seven days.

Meanwhile I place a order with Brownells 2 days ago, got many emails and was told tomorrow I will receive my order. Think I'll be avoiding Optic Planet for a little bit😕
Brownells is definitely better. Have some personal connections to them.

I only went to optics planet because they do backorders. Someday several thousand rounds may ship. If not then it cost me nothing.

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
Brownells is definitely better. Have some personal connections to them.

I only went to optics planet because they do backorders. Someday several thousand rounds may ship. If not then it cost me nothing.
Alright Optics Planet must be messing with me or on this forum. Literally just got a text from USPS that my order has just arrived at their distribution center😑

Yeah I'll be ordering more from Brownells in the future. Now I just need to wait for them to put their BRN-180 uppers back on sale lol

Apparition

Notable member
Supporting Member
Alright Optics Planet must be messing with me or on this forum. Literally just got a text from USPS that my order has just arrived at their distribution center😑

Yeah I'll be ordering more from Brownells in the future. Now I just need to wait for them to put their BRN-180 uppers back on sale lol
How much did they charge for those?

Apparition

Notable member
Supporting Member
Right now they are priced at $899 for the gen 2 models, out of stock though. If I remember right I believe last year around black friday and christmas the gen 1 uppers were selling for like $550 or $600
Figured they’d be in that range. Have you considered a LaRue, price is comparable and you get all the components minus the lower.

I’d have no doubt the LaRue would be more accurate.

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
Figured they’d be in that range. Have you considered a LaRue, price is comparable and you get all the components minus the lower.

I’d have no doubt the LaRue would be more accurate.

I'm sure any upper I get is going to be more accurate than I can ever shoot it😅

I'm liking the BRN-180 upper because its different from a normal AR upper, I already have a m4gery lol. The BRN doesn't need a buffer tube so it can use a folding stock and function, it piston driven with the recoil springs in the upper.

Thinking if the pistol length upper ever goes on sale I would probably get one

Reactions: Apparition

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
Just got my new expected delivery date, 11/19 or 20. 16 to 17 days for a in stock item that is supposed to ship in 2 to 4 days even with the pandemic going on. What a joke, thanks Optics Planet lol