Tips for new TJ owners?

heresjeff

A deer totalled my wife’s car for the 2nd time and I got hit with case of impractical buying syndrome.

So now she has a 6 speed 4.0 Tj with 60k miles. It’s really in great shape I think.

I need some hinge sleeves, new spring thingies to keep the lights off, spare cover, new fluids in the diffs, transfer case and transmission.

Lookin at beefy bumpers, extra lights too, maybe the harbor freight winch.

5228441f7e050bddf81ef13f25e1230f.jpg

fdd1c7cb44b3b07e273b127fde99659b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Impractical perhaps, but I can’t think of a single vehicle out there that will bring you the joy and satisfaction that a Jeep Wrangler will.

That’s a nice one too, very clean! I would probably get those fenders back to black, but other than that it looks great!

Congrats on a nice Scorr! Before buying stuff check with the folks here. Lots of experience. The first two mods I did were the only two I now regret and am replacing soon.

E.g. for a winch you might think Warn or Superwinch or Engo

Reactions: Chris and derekmac
I'm liking that colour, reminds me of my Dad's Navy days....you could go with a navy vehicle theme...white letters 'USS Wrangler' down the side.
Welcome to the club mate, you'll get plenty of great advice on here....but maybe not from me though hehe

Tip #1: Take your build budget, and multiply it X2 :D

But conservative doesn't you think? ;)

If the winch is just for looks a HF one is fine, if you plan to use it, and count on it getting you out then I'd look at a reputable brand as mentioned before. Even the new smittybilt winches arn't bad, particularly for the money, Runva is also excellent for a lower end unit.

Look at lots of bumper options before you make a final decision as they really set the look of the vehicle. Also don't discount a modified stock bumper if you want a simple look. Personally I run a cut down stocker for weight and cheapness reasons. If I was to spend money of a plate bumper I'd probably go with trailhead customs myself as I know I can get any little tweak I want and it'll still be cheaper than the big brands.

Most importantly is to enjoy it, looks like a great jeep.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

If the winch is just for looks a HF one is fine, if you plan to use it, and count on it getting you out then I'd look at a reputable brand as mentioned before. Even the new smittybilt winches arn't bad, particularly for the money, Runva is also excellent for a lower end unit.

Look at lots of bumper options before you make a final decision as they really set the look of the vehicle. Also don't discount a modified stock bumper if you want a simple look. Personally I run a cut down stocker for weight and cheapness reasons. If I was to spend money of a plate bumper I'd probably go with trailhead customs myself as I know I can get any little tweak I want and it'll still be cheaper than the big brands.

Yep! Conservative, to be sure. Just didn't wanna scare him off right from the start! ;)

Congrats on a nice Scorr! Before buying stuff check with the folks here. Lots of experience. The first two mods I did were the only two I now regret and am replacing soon.

E.g. for a winch you might think Warn or Superwinch or Engo

What were those two mods?

The winch will mostly be like a hood ornament, and I want a full width bumper so my wife and hit a deer and still be able to drive to work. I’ve really only looked on amazon and ebay so far. My cheapness sometimes gets me in trouble.

What were those two mods?

A Budget Boost and Nerf Bars. Granted, at the time I NEVER thought I would off road, but that quickly changed. It's just nice to get advice from forum members because if you're looking at it, someone has probably bought it!

Why spend money on a hood ornament when you could spend that money to get a better stereo system (if you need one) or some grab bars or 1.25" seat risers (do you feel a little low in the seat?) or something more practical and functional? Not telling you how to spend your money, but we do that a lot around here!

As for a bumper, a cheap, but decent bumper is the E-Autogrilles, ~$200 and with a built in winch mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IS93BCE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The winch will mostly be like a hood ornament, and I want a full width bumper so my wife and hit a deer and still be able to drive to work. I’ve really only looked on amazon and ebay so far. My cheapness sometimes gets me in trouble.

yeah I can be a cheap bastard as well. I have these Chinese bumpers
tj bumpers.jpg

and scored this bumper ornament...um...I mean winch for just over $300 shipped
havoc winch.jpg

P.s. You're going to love that Jeep! Looks like you may already! Top off, doorless, nothing like it!

You don’t need the “spring thingies” to keep the dome light from being on when doors are off. Just remove the fuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
X2 ^^^ It's in the fuse box behind the glove box. Remove the glove box (self-explanatory) and remove the bottom left fuse (I think it's that one). You can still turn the dome lights on and off from the roll switch on the left side of your steering column. Those spring things just cost money and get lost and are a pain. See, we're saving you money already!

[QUOTE="cliffish, post: 157073, member: 4608] scored this bumper ornament...um...I mean winch for just over $300 shipped
View attachment 37836[/QUOTE]

That looks like an atv winch compared to the control box. What's it rated for?

[QUOTE="cliffish, post: 157073, member: 4608] scored this bumper ornament...um...I mean winch for just over $300 shipped
View attachment 37836

9000lbs, I think the control box is just big as it is pretty large winch, I would not want it any wider mounted on the bumper. Also came with remote and synthetic line.

1.) Rear bumper with a swing wheel carrier
2.) Front bumper with the winch (not Harbor Freight)
3.) Pocket riveted fender flares should be good
4.) Rock sliders instead of nerf bars
5.) Half doors could be a plus
6.) Custom decals

Reactions: Kiwi TJ

9000lbs, I think the control box is just big as it is pretty large winch, I would not want it any wider mounted on the bumper. Also came with remote and synthetic line.
Cool must be the perspective. It looks like it has a tiny motor and gear box. ;)

Notice also it’s got the rear view mirror mounts for mirror relocation with doors off. Rubicon express I think. You might look for a dome light kill switch if they ran with the doors off.