Tips for torquing Dana 30 ring gear bolts?

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I am getting ready to install a lock right in my Dana 30. I have the new ring gear bolts but currently don't have a bench vise to hold the carrier to torque them. Would a torque stick work for this or should I just buy a vise?
Thanks!

I would use something more accurate than a torque stick myself. Perhaps you could rig up something to hold the carrier while you torque the bolts? Before I had a vise I used to simply trigger clamp everything to the bench

I am getting ready to install a lock right in my Dana 30. I have the new ring gear bolts but currently don't have a bench vise to hold the carrier to torque them. Would a torque stick work for this or should I just buy a vise?
Thanks!
You can do the final ring gear bolt tightening/torquing after the carrier is installed. Rotate the ring gear so you're cross-tightening the bolts with a clicker style torque wrench.

Make darned sure you apply Loctite to the bolt threads before the tightening. I'd get the carrier installed then remove the ring gear bolts one at a time to apply the Loctite and then tighten them. A big screwdriver can hold the pinion yoke still while the torquing is done.

Last edited: