Tips for Treading Lightly and other topics

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Tips for treading lightly and other topics. Understand that each environment and terrain requires a different approach, and I only know what works in my area. Another caveat is that this is for going off road, not for playing in a 4x4 park. Feel free to add to or argue with anything here. This is just the way that I do it, and I'm not saying that you should do it my way. My goal with the TJ is transportation to get into places in the back country that are inaccessible to other vehicles so that I can see and do things I can't otherwise. Your goals will vary so adjust accordingly. Know that what works for the rain forests here in the Pacific North West don't work for other areas. Add tips and tricks for your area, even though they may seem to be the opposite of what I do. We all need to hear about those.

Engage your brain before engaging the 4x lever. Better yet, engage brain before leaving the hard surface roads. Ask yourself "Should I?" and not "Can I?".

Check your vehicle over for leaks and drips before leaving the driveway. This is very important. More specifics later.

Tire size and wheel spin are important. It's all about ground loading (pounds per square inch) and surface disturbance / soil compaction. Don't spin your tires if at all possible. Pick a tire size that will support the weight of your vehicle with minimal soil compaction. Pick a tread pattern that disturbs the moss and grasses the least amount possible. Stay off the skinny pedal! The best tires would be big balloon ag tires with no tread like on a spray buggy, but they would suck for off roading. But you get the idea. Make intelligent compromises for your area and your use.

Pick your trails and your lines with an eye to disturb the environment the least amount possible. Sometimes you have to forego the pleasure of an especially difficult trail, even though it WOULD be cool to say you went there, so that the area is not disturbed. It's just good stewardship.

Winch early and winch often. Pick your anchor points with care. Using a tree for an anchor point works up here, but protect that tree from damage. Sometimes a tree strap is not enough, use padding if it is called for. Use your winch to avoid tearing up the ground as well as getting over and around obstacles. Winching is fun anyway, right?

Noise is bad. A loud exhaust may be cool in the city, but out in the back country no one really cares what your rig sounds like. Noise disturbs the wildlife and other woodland users. Think about it.

Stay out of meadows and wetlands. Period. Don't go there. There is a reason that there are rarely roads that cross a meadow or wetland.

Creek and river crossings. Use bridges and culverts. They are there for a reason. Occasionally there will be a ford to cross a creek or river. Cross at the ford after checking it out if you need to. Don't drip oil or other fluids into the creek or river. You'll kill the fish. Even the creeks that lead to high altitude lakes have spawning salmonoids in them and they are very delicate. All of that stuff you stir up crossing a creek runs down stream and settles on the redds, suffocating the fry. (fish nests and immature fish) Silt is as bad or worse than oil in the water for the native fish.

Park away from water sources. If you stop to camp or lunch, stay back from water sources. You can easily spook the wildlife, and they may not return for awhile. During the dry season, this is especially important as the young aren't as mobile as the mature. If they are especially stressed from a very dry year they may have difficulty getting to the next safe water source and may become predator food in moving from one source to another. Smells, sights and sounds can all scare off wildlife, so be aware.

This should go without saying, but don't cut switchbacks or blaze new trails. Just don't. Erosion can get out of hand very quickly and bring whole mountainsides down. So just don't do it.

About fires. Keep them small. Use only downed, dry wood. Make SURE they are completely out and then bury your fire pit, putting the sod back over the pit area. If you run across someone else's fire and they are gone, PUT IT OUT as well. If you smoke, learn to strip your cigarettes and make sure they are cold out. Don't toss the butts, take them with you. Carry water and a bucket, and / or a fire extinguisher. Carry a shovel and an ax. Learn to use them and maintain them. Fire is a natural part of the woods up here, but it is not our place to manage fire other than making sure that we don't ever start one. Use a small camp stove for lunch and dinner stops as it is safer and easier than building a fire.

Private lands can sometimes be accessed by permission. Ask first and listen to the owner if you are given permission to travel on their lands. Leave gates in the state you found them. Closed or open. Be very aware that if you drive through an open gate, you may be there for awhile. The forester may be working on the land and close and lock the gate behind him when he leaves. If he does, you're there until he decides to return most of the time. It's better to ask and get permission in any event.

Up hill - down hill. Uphill traffic has the right of way. The only exception is log truck and heavy machinery. Get out of their way. Get well off the road and stay there until they pass. Most operations will post mile points and a CB channel to monitor. Let them know you are there and where you are. You will loose any arguments with a log truck, I guarantee it.

Map, compass and GPS. Yes, you need all three, and you need to know how to use them. If you get lost you could be there awhile. If a gate is locked behind you, you can usually figure out a way out by studying a map. Just realize that all maps are only a close approximation to ground truth and act accordingly.

Don't shoot the trees. Seriously, just don't do it. It causes lots of problems for the tree and for the saw mills that turn them into useful products after harvest. Find a stump or high berm for a backstop.

More later...

Yup, it sure looks like it @billiebob, Looking some of the pictures you have posted over and it looks a lot like places here in the coast range. Do you have old hippies in Subarus up there as well? lol

Got some more.

If you see something suspicious, think about stopping and checking it out. Offer to help if that seems appropriate. Hang out in the woods long enough and you are going to run into someone who needs a helping hand. Keep in mind that not all of the folks you run into out there are innocent little lost lambs. Hunt up a Sheriff or Ranger if that seems more appropriate to the situation. Sometimes you'll run across stuff, and no one is around. Report it. You'll know what I mean when you run across it. There is no disgrace in un-assing the area at high speed when the situation calls for it.

Leave the wildlife alone. Especially the young. This is as much for your safety as theirs. If you absolutely need a closeup picture to show off to your friends, get a telephoto lens.

Keep an eye out for undercut roads and trails, especially in the winter and spring. Keep an eye out for widowmakers. You know, those trees hung up on other trees, and large branches hung up in trees. The wind or about anything else could cause them to fall.

Don't drink the water. It looks cool and pure, but you really don't know for sure. Boil it, treat it or filter it. Boiling is best.

Pack your garbage out. Pack others garbage out. It's messy and a pain, but just do it. This means shotgun hulls, brass, beer cans & etc. If nothing else, you can feel better about yourself for having done it.

If you are going to take a dump in the woods, learn to make a cat hole correctly.

Turn around and LOOK AT YOUR BACK TRAIL on occasion. You'll soon get the hang of how often and when to do this. Look at the hills and valleys around you. Pay attention to which way the water is flowing. Doing this will help you stay found, and help you if you do become disoriented. If you start to feel that things aren't familiar, stop and get out of the rig. Look around. Have a drink of water and a candy bar or something. Relax and think about it. Chances are you'll start to recognize where you might be at and be able to figure out which way to head to get back on track. Learn your local geography or "lay of the land". Up here, since water always flows down hill, it's pretty easy to get back on track. Pick a creek and follow it. You will hit a main line in short order. Just remember that the roads and trails rarely go into valleys, they go around valleys in most cases. If the road is a good road and it is heading down into a valley, you are getting close to civilization. If a good road heads down in to a valley and you see fresh beer cans in the brush, you're almost there.

Yup, it sure looks like it @billiebob, Looking some of the pictures you have posted over and it looks a lot like places here in the coast range. Do you have old hippies in Subarus up there as well? lol
Hippies.... Not so much. But we have a large contingent of consciencous objectors from the Vietnam War era. Most of our "hippies" are actually pretty young, living green, organic, healthy, home schooling... Passing up alcohol since BC Bud is plentiful and home grown. The rich ones drive Subarus... the poor... anything with a carburetor.

The Kootenays are all about being green. They won't even allow cell towers to be built down the Slocan Valley. They might trust governments but they sure do not trust corporations.

Reactions: StG58
We have a pretty strong underground economy around here. Venturing off trail deep in the woods you might meet some pretty protective farmers. I've never had trouble. All depends on yer attitude. Me, I hope Canada catches up with Washington and Colorado. I'd sooner be collecting taxes than paying for jail time from these farmers.

Reactions: JP13 and StG58
Man, I would have thought that the conscience objectors would have died off or repatriated awhile ago. Well, you can't fault a man for following the dictates of his conscience, now can you?

The folks you are describing exist around here as well, but they tend to be middle age-ish to a bit younger. Pretty strong "back to the land" movement in fact. It takes some pretty serious cash to move out of the cities around here. Same deal though. Living green, organic, healthy, home schooling and driving expensive rigs and living in large expensive homes. Lot's of newer, barely used small farm equipment out next to the new pole barn. Commute to work in the city.

We get a lot of "city kids" in old beater Subarus blasting down the back roads. Some of those rigs are pretty outlandish looking, but the kids seem to like them. They tend to get turned around fairly regularly, and need a pointer back to civilization before it gets dark.

We have a pretty strong underground economy around here. Venturing off trail deep in the woods you might meet some pretty protective farmers. I've never had trouble. All depends on yer attitude. Me, I hope Canada catches up with Washington and Colorado. I'd sooner be collecting taxes than paying for jail time from these farmers.

Oregon as well. Most of that is pretty far south of me, and I don't run into it much. Never had much trouble here either. The most trouble that I ever ran into was some gang bangers out burning powder in their guns. They never got close enough to confront me and I didn't stick around long enough to find out what they were after. Honda Accords suck off road.;)

Reactions: JP13
Man, I would have thought that the conscience objectors would have died off or repatriated awhile ago.

We probably have a few hundred draft dodgers who are Canadian citizens now. They just decided to stay. Some of them were University Grads and they are self employed, doctors, dentists, small business operators. Hippies had nothing in common with conscientious objectors.

age, yep most of them are well over 60.

I'm man! I'm the dominant species! I will blaze my trail where, when, and how I want!!!

Actually, this is a long list of wise rules. As a no trace backpacker, I appreciate it. :beer-toast1:

Reactions: Chris