Tire advice for inspections in PA

PA Patriot

Hey folks - Just picked up an ‘04 X. Only 51,000 original miles! It currently has 235 75R15 on the stock steel wheels. Have been looking at 31 10.5” 15 tires and doing the Tactik 15x8 wheels which have 4” backspacing.

Problem I see is that Apparently in PA to pass inspection and to avoid getting pulled over wheels can’t stick out past the fenders and the fenders can’t be longer than 3”

Any other options for me to at least get a taller tire but stay within the fender flares without rubbing? I’m coming to the TJ from a JKU and I love it but it sits so low on those 235’s I can’t get used to it! Thinking maybe there’s a way to keep a 9” or a bit wider tire but get some added height with another size.

Looking for suggestions!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock flares are 3.25" on most Jeeps, and 4.25" on the TJ Rubicon. The Rubicon comes with 245/75R16 tires, or roughly 31×9.5. Stock Rubicom wheels have 5" of backspacing.
If you switch to the Rubicon flares and similarly backspaced wheels, you should have no problem passing inspection, since it looks stock or almost stock.

As for the fender flare law itself, it is rarely enforced on jeeps, as technically every Jeep would be illegal from the factory. For the purpose of the law, most inspection places refer to the flares as fenders. Think about the size of the flares on a stock JK. Why doesn't every JK fail state inspection then?

However, the exposed tread law is sometimes enforced. I recommend getting flares that cover the tread. Based on all the jacked up trucks with tires sticking out, you can usually find someone to pass it through inspection, but that won't stop you from getting a ticket.

The purpose of the fender flare law is to prevent people with large pickup trucks from making their vehicles excessively wide. Imagine bolting on a fender flare on a stock F150. A 3" flare is actually a pretty significant increase in width for a F150.

So my recommendation is run a reasonable tire and width, and cover it with the smallest flare that fully covers the tread.

Personally I intend to upgrade to 6.5" flares and run 315/75R16. That's within 3" of stock, with fully covered tread, so I don't anticipate any issues. Some inspection stations may refuse to pass it, but generally as long as it doesn't look too crazy, many won't care.

For the biggest of trucks and jeeps, sometimes people will keep a set of stock tires to throw on when they go for inspection. Looks funny as heck when someone with a foot of lift is driving along on 30" tires...

Surely you see 10 or more Jeeps and pick ups every day with giant tires that stick out well beyond the flares, all with PA plates. What I’m saying is there are the rules and then there is the reality. PA rules say tires must be covered and doors must be on yet the streets are littered with doorless Jeeps on fat ass tires. Build it how you want it & enjoy!

Just one of the many reasons I dislike this state. Ive was given a hard time at several inspection stations out first year here but once I found a shop that would pass my rig I’ve never had an issue on the road. I’m running the 4” metalcloak system with 33x12.50 tires.
c4570a05beb0bb0e237992eac1895cd4.jpg

Thanks guys. Interestingly enough on the enforcement price my buddy was just pulled over for having his doors off in the Collegeville area. Seems nuts as, to the point made, I see Jeeps all around my area in Chester County with fat tires and one trip to Jeeps and Java at Quadratec confirms that some is passing their inspection.

On the fender flare replacement my only hesitation is the horror stories I’m hearing about getting the nutserts off the existing fenders and then of course spending $400 on rubicon fenders.

Is the pizza cutter a thing with TJ’s like it is with JK’s?

Thanks guys. Interestingly enough on the enforcement price my buddy was just pulled over for having his doors off in the Collegeville area. Seems nuts as, to the point made, I see Jeeps all around my area in Chester County with fat tires and one trip to Jeeps and Java at Quadratec confirms that some is passing their inspection.

On the fender flare replacement my only hesitation is the horror stories I’m hearing about getting the nutserts off the existing fenders and then of course spending $400 on rubicon fenders.

If the nutserts spin, the easiest way to get them out is to simply remove the wheel well liners. Mine are spinning, but I haven’t actually taken the time to pull the liners and fix them.

I’m sure you can find used Rubicon flares for less. Daveys Jeeps sometimes has them. You can also post a wanted ad in the wanted section.
Even then there are cheaper options:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_5100_07.htmThose are 6”, which are probably too wide for your tires. But there are similar options out there.

As for tire shape, you’ll see all sorts of tire ratios. Fatter tires (12”+) seem to be more popular due to their performance in mud and off road, but people who mainly stay on road often choose a tire 10.5 wide or less.

TJ owners do tend to go with smaller rims than the typical JK owners. 15” rims are very popular up to 35 inch tires. 17” and 16” are also sometimes used. Most JKs seem to go with 17, 18, or even 20 inch rims.

That does not surprise me about the Collegeville area. You will find the more urban or closer to large metropolitan areas, the greater the scrutiny. The rural areas tend to be more lenient.

Just one of the many reasons I dislike this state. Ive was given a hard time at several inspection stations out first year here but once I found a shop that would pass my rig I’ve never had an issue on the road. I’m running the 4” metalcloak system with 33x12.50 tires. View attachment 93894
I’m in the same situation!!! Any shops you know that are friendly with Jeep mods in pa???