Tire advice

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
I bought a nice 06 rubicon with 35x12.5r15 tires and a rough country 4 “ lift. Gearing is stock 4.10 The tires are too large and rough. I will use this jeep as dd and jeep trails in Colorado. I was consider replacing with BFG KO2s in a 32x11.5r15 bor 31x10.5r15 and keep the wheels that are on it now. Will either look and drive ok with that lift.
51A59220-C8DC-45CA-BD5D-F45AB4097BB1.jpeg

Personally, I think the 31’s will be far too small for the lift.

Functionally, they will work fine.

If it were me, I’d go for a 32 or 33 at least.

As far as riding rough, what pressure are they running? Lots of shops love to pump them up way too high for the weight of the vehicle resulting in a harsh ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
The BFG KO2 is a fantastic all around tire. The Goodyear Duratrac is also an amazing tire. I had the Duratracs on my Rubicon and those seriously have to be the most amazing tires ever. They perform excellent in the packed snow, mud, rain, and just about everything else.

I have nothing but praise for the Duratrac. I would run them until the day I die, but unfortunately they don't make them in a true 35X12.50R17 size.

If I were you I'd stick with a 33", which will be the right size for that lift. In addition, keep the tires between 26-28 psi, or you're going to have one hell of a rough ride.

Personally, I think the 31’s will be far too small for the lift.

Functionally, they will work fine.

If it were me, I’d go for 33.

As far as riding rough, what pressure are they running? Lots of shops love to pump them up way too high for the weight of the vehicle resulting in a harsh ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFY and X2.

The Goodyear Duratrac is also an amazing tire. I had the Duratracs on my Rubicon and those seriously have to be the most amazing tires ever. They perform excellent in the packed snow, mud, rain, and just about everything else.

I have nothing but praise for the Duratrac. I would run them until the day I die, but unfortunately they don't make them in a true 35X12.50R17 size.

If I were you I'd stick with a 33", which will be the right size for that lift. In addition, keep the tires between 26-28 psi, or you're going to have one hell of a rough ride.

Also X2. 33s and a 4" are a perfect combo. If you want to run 35s then add a 1 or 1.25" body lift. I had the duratrac in a 33 and like Chris, I would have ran it again but they do not come in a 35".

Welcome to CO! What part are you in?

PS--Here is a 4" lift with 33s
IMG_3018.JPG

We live in Arkansas but I love the jeep roads in the Ouray Silverton Teluride area. I like the idea of a 10.5 width. The 35x12.5 need much lower gearing than my 4.10.

Reactions: JMT and OlYellerTJ
We live in Arkansas but I love the jeep roads in the Ouray Silverton Teluride area. I like the idea of a 10.5 width. The 35x12.5 need much lower gearing than my 4.10.
Which transmission do you have?

The tires won't cause the ride to be rough, unless there's too much air in them. Try them at 25 or 26 psi. If it has Rough Country shocks, then they will most definitely cause the ride to be rough!!!

I agree with the others about going to 33's, I like @Chris think the Duratracs are a way better tire than the K02. (I know he didn't actually say that) . I am not a fan of the BFG's personally,

You can get away with 33's and 4:10 gears. It is still a bit high, but Duratracs then to run smaller than their actual size, so a 33 Duratrac is actually a little smaller than 33, but with the aggressive AT tread it will still look good on your Jeep.

Also for another plug for the Duratracs they ride really smooth, and are surprisingly quiet on the road.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
FIFY and X2.

Also X2. 33s and a 4" are a perfect combo. If you want to run 35s then add a 1 or 1.25" body lift. I had the duratrac in a 33 and like Chris, I would have ran it again but they do not come in a 35".

Welcome to CO! What part are you in?

PS--Here is a 4" lift with 33s
View attachment 63433
I agree with the others about going to 33's, I like @Chris think the Duratracs are a way better tire than the K02. (I know he didn't actually say that) . I am not a fan of the BFG's personally,

You can get away with 33's and 4:10 gears. It is still a bit high, but Duratracs then to run smaller than their actual size, so a 33 Duratrac is actually a little smaller than 33, but with the aggressive AT tread it will still look good on your Jeep.

Also for another plug for the Duratracs they ride really smooth, and are surprisingly quiet on the road.

Would 32x11.5 look ok with the lift? I am concerned about the gearing. Also need to check the width on these vision rims.

Reactions: ac_
I, and it sounds like others, think 33s look better on 4" of lift vs a 32.

33s and the 42RLE (assuming you have an auto), is not a terrible combination. 5.13s would be perfect, but not absolutely necessary.

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
Would 32x11.5 look ok with the lift? I am concerned about the gearing. Also need to check the width on these vision rims.
I might do some research to see what size tires actually are. When I ran my 31x10.5r15 Duratracks they were only 30 inches in reality.

so a 33 duratrac can in fact be a 32 inch tire, You will probably be fine with a 32x15 tire on a 4 inch lift. You probably won't even notice that with the naked eye. You may have a lot of fender gap but some people like that.

I will say I had my 31 duratracs on when I went from 2" lift to a 4" lift and that did look really funny.

One of the guys on here is @lowranger runs a 33x10.5 on a 3.5" lift, It looks really good. So I think you wouldn't be too far off if you went 32x11.5.

Honestly though. Most 33's aren't really 33's so I would find true hieghts of the tire, because you might be getting a 32 when you order a 33.

You’re getting a ton of great advice on here. Personally I’d go with a 33x10.50 KO2 with your 4” lift or an alternative idea would be to sale your lift and tires and go with a 2” Old Man Emu or 2” BDS lift and run 32x11.50 KO2s. Either way you’ll have a great looking ride.

Reactions: Fade2black