Tire and rim size

05pf13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just started shopping for some new tires and rims. I have an 05 Sport at stock height. Looking to go with a 16" rim and tire combo. Right now I have 30 x 9.5 x 15's. Would like to get either 31 or 32's by 10.5. Not sure if 32's will fit or will they with a certain backspacing or just go with 31's.

I would stick with 15" wheels. I only say that because your tire selection with 16" wheels is very limited. I run the factory 16" Moab wheels on my Rubicon, and I'm fine with it, but only because I don't need the tire selection that some guys need who do a lot of serious off-roading. When I did look for tires though, I noticed that there's far less mud terrain and other aggressive tires for 16" wheels than there is for 15" wheels. They're also more expensive as well!

However, Goodyear makes the Duratrac (my favorite tire) for 16" wheels, so I have no issues there at all. I'm simply saying that if you want a huge variety of tires and sizes to choose from, 15" wheels are generally a better choice.

31" or 32" tires will fit, and you shouldn't have any issues with a 10.5" wide tire, even with factory backspacing. The idea back spacing is usually around 3.75" to 4" though if you have a choice.

I ended up purchasing a set of Hercules Terra Trac ATII's, 31" x 10.5" x 15"'s. Very happy with the ride. I am driving with them at 29 PSI and seem fine.
I also replaced all upper and lower, front and back control arms with MOOG stock style. I rarely go off road. The lower one's were really dried out and cracked. I replaced the front and rear sway bar links while I was under there adding 1 1/2" spring spacers all around. I think it gives it a better stance.

Before.
Jeep 6_LI.jpg

After
IMG_4780.JPG

Reactions: psrivats