Tire Balancing

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having an argument with a coworker on frequncy of balancing tires. He thinks every time you rotate tires they should be balanced for that specific location on the vehicle. I said a balanced tire is a balanced tire and doesn't matter. Now if you wheel a lot more frequent balancing may be required. Thoughts?

Reactions: Apparition and JP98
I have my tires balance checked every time I rotate them but that is just to make sure they are still in balance. But it shouldn't matter if they go back to the same location or a new one. Balanced is balanced. Tell your coworker if they were being balance for the specific location then they would have to balance them on the vehicle.

You are correct, balance is unique to the tire and wheel assembly and is not affected when tires are rotated.

Tires should be re balanced every 6000 to 8000 miles unless uneven wore out is been noticed. Now, offroad is agressive on the tire tires and may require more re balance during it's use life.

So we all argument with our coworkers, Ah!

Reactions: JMT and Kevin E
When my steering wheel shimmies, I balance the tires. Could be 3000 miles, or 15000 miles. Different tire brands balance differently too.

Reactions: fourpointzero
My humble opinion here but I rotate religiously, keep them aired to spec for the particular use and temp. I balance as needed. That could be either when you feel a shimmy or whatever is recommended.
YMMV = you mileage may vary. Though, I’m ways open to the suggestion(s) of those more experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I used to work at a brake and suspension shop in my late teens. The owner had a machine that you placed directly under the tire (still mounted on the car, and jacked in the air). The rollers would get the wheel spinning up to about 60 mph (no kidding!), and he would dial in another contraption that was mounted to the wheel lip (expanded out). He would do this until the rotation was as smooth as glass. Then he would mount the wheel leads in the appropriate locations to maintain that smoothness. After removing the unit from the wheel, he'd spin the wheel up to speed again to double-check that everything was copasetic, and he'd move on to the other side. Now, as I recall, he only did this on the front axle, but I could be mistaken about that. I do know that he claimed it was the most accurate way to balance a tire, as it balanced it to the entire rotating assembly. Years later, I wondered about the legitimacy of that claim. What happened if you removed a wheel, and when you re-installed it, you clocked it differently on the drum/rotor? Anyway, I've never seen it done like that anywhere else. That was back in '81...

Last edited:
I am having an argument with a coworker on frequncy of balancing tires. He thinks every time you rotate tires they should be balanced for that specific location on the vehicle. I said a balanced tire is a balanced tire and doesn't matter. Now if you wheel a lot more frequent balancing may be required. Thoughts?
Location is irrelevant.
Wheelin on terrain that tears up tires can result in need to rebalance more often.

You can balance a wheel or the entire rotating assembly as described by Squatch. Rotors are balanced pretty well out of the box so typical balancing off the vehicle is usually adequate. Problem vehicles and maybe exotic cars that see extreme speeds may benefit from on the vehicle balancing. It's a lot more work.

Then there's Road Force Balancing which takes it to the next level. Using balancers that exert roller pressure on the tire to simulate actual conditions. The operator can play around moving tires around the wheel or swapping them to other wheels. This can be expensive.

I used to work at a brake and suspension shop in my late teens. The owner had a machine that you placed directly under the tire (still mounted on the car, and jacked in the air). The rollers would get the wheel spinning up to about 60 mph (no kidding!), and he would dial in another contraption that was mounted to the wheel lip (expanded out). He would do this until the rotation was as smooth as glass. Then he would mount the wheel leads in the appropriate locations to maintain that smoothness. After removing the unit from the wheel, he'd spin the wheel up to speed again to double-check that everything was copasetic, and he'd move on to the other side. Now, as I recall, he only did this on the front axle, but I could be mistaken about that. I do know that he claimed it was the most accurate way to balance a tire, as it balanced it to the entire rotating assembly. Years later, I wondered about the legitimacy of that claim. What happened if you removed a wheel, and when you re-installed it, you clocked it differently on the drum/rotor? Anyway, I've never seen it done like that anywhere else. That was back in '81...

This ^^.

OPs coworker is older or has been schooled by an elder.

What happened if you removed a wheel, and when you re-installed it, you clocked it differently on the drum/rotor?

Before removing the wheel you marked a stud and the hole in the rim to install in the same position it was removed.

It is the best way to balance because it balances for the whole rotating assembly, but it's old school and dangerous and probably not OSHA approved.

Last edited:
The owner had a machine that you placed directly under the tire (still mounted on the car, and jacked in the air). The rollers would get the wheel spinning up to about 60 mph (no kidding!), That was back in '81...

When I was in auto shop back in High School... ahem... in 78 we had such a device. My teacher would light a cig and while holding it in his fingers place his hand on the fender, then adjust the balance dial until the vibration was gone, then place the corisponding weight on the wheel. Was it the best way....well back in the day they use to use a bubble level to "balance" the tire. So compaired to that method, yes it was much better.

Reactions: Squatch
My teacher would light a cig and while holding it in his fingers place his hand on the fender, then adjust the balance dial until the vibration was gone, then place the corisponding weight on the wheel.

That's a hoot, as I remember my boss doing the exact same thing. Would pop the cig back in his mouth when it was balanced and move on to the next one. Glad to hear that others remember this. I was starting to feel my age... :rolleyes:

... Then there's Road Force Balancing which takes it to the next level. Using balancers that exert roller pressure on the tire to simulate actual conditions. The operator can play around moving tires around the wheel or swapping them to other wheels. This can be expensive.
I paid extra for Road Force balancing of my 35's for several years until I finally noticed I was not really seeing better results.

I just had my tires balanced by an old traditional balancing machine two months ago and I couldn't believe how perfect it came out. Zero vibes and smooth as silk up to 85 mph. To me it's the guy doing the balancing and not the machine.

Reactions: CodaMan
Old thread but interesting. I used to do a lot of wheel balancing back in the late '60s to mid '70s while working at my Dad's garage during high school & college. It was next door to one of the largest British sports car dealerships in the Toronto area and believe it or not they didn't do any wheel & tire work. We did it for them. The best part was that we got to test our work. I drove everything from MG's to Jags and even some Lotus' and Jensens. It was pretty neat for a kid my age.

The equipment was pretty simple and crude compared to today. We went from bubble balancers to beam balancers and eventually roller balancers like @Squatch described. The thinking with the roller balancers was that we were balancing the hubs, drums, discs, etc. too. We thought we were cutting edge. 🤣

Not the ones we had but pics of what they looked like ...

bubblebalancermicrocoatsm762.jpg
dca3d05ccb3447b9b914fe15bc5a8dc9.jpg
vintage-hunter-engineering-big-truck-rv-car-on-vehicle-230v-wheel-balancer.jpg

Old thread but interesting. I used to do a lot of wheel balancing back in the late '60s to mid '70s while working at my Dad's garage during high school & college. It was next door to one of the largest British sports car dealerships in the Toronto area and believe it or not they didn't do any wheel & tire work. We did it for them. The best part was that we got to test our work. I drove everything from MG's to Jags and even some Lotus' and Jensens. It was pretty neat for a kid my age.

The equipment was pretty simple and crude compared to today. We went from bubble balancers to beam balancers and eventually roller balancers like @Squatch described. The thinking with the roller balancers was that we were balancing the hubs, drums, discs, etc. too. We thought we were cutting edge. 🤣

Not the ones we had but pics of what they looked like ...

View attachment 207394View attachment 207395View attachment 207396
It's like a trip down memory lane... :)

Reactions: j8ksdad and PCO6