Tire Carrier Question

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
Kind of lost here. Have an 03 Rubi that I just raised and of course put 33's on it. Question is, it has the factory light weight tire carrier on it, The Rubi has a XHD bumper without the tire carrier. Will the factory tire carrier handle the 33 12 x 15 or is the a wreck coming? Don't like the XHD bumper mount tire carrier but if that is what is best, that is what I will do. Ay replies, thanks so much!!

Kind of lost here. Have an 03 Rubi that I just raised and of course put 33's on it. Question is, it has the factory light weight tire carrier on it, The Rubi has a XHD bumper without the tire carrier. Will the factory tire carrier handle the 33 12 x 15 or is the a wreck coming? Don't like the XHD bumper mount tire carrier but if that is what is best, that is what I will do. Ay replies, thanks so much!!
There are upgraded hinges you could use to put the tire on the tailgate. Morryde I believe is one. You will need to lengthen, shorten or reposition the snubbers to accommodate the tire. I would not recommend putting the tire on the stock carrier, as it was not designed for that amount of weight.

There are upgraded hinges you could use to put the tire on the tailgate. Morryde I believe is one. You will need to lengthen, shorten or reposition the snubbers to accommodate the tire. I would not recommend putting the tire on the stock carrier, as it was not designed for that amount of weight.

Morryde or Exogate. Done well with the full carrier, more than just the hinges are strengthened.

Since were on topic, Can the stock carrier hold a 33x10.5? Its narrower than the 12.5. Is it necesarry to upgrade with the whole morryde kit or just the hinges?

Since were on topic, Can the stock carrier hold a 33x10.5? Its narrower than the 12.5. Is it necesarry to upgrade with the whole morryde kit or just the hinges?

I am using the stock tire mount on a the full Exogate kit. And the snubbers are doing what they need to do. It's only been a few months since the install and I will be keeping on eye on the stock mount, but I don't see a problem yet as long as the shaking is controlled.

My previous swing away carrier started breaking itself apart from the constant shaking.

Reactions: Jramos013
That right there. My previous TJ's factory spare tire mounting bracket cracked and failed with the weight of a 33x12.50 spare.
Hey Jerry, just ordered the Morryde tail gate kit for $320.00 off Amazon, hopefully with the snugger extensions I hope it's enough to keep my stock tire carrier bracket from cracking? But then, my tires are only 285/70/17 KO-2's (32.7x11.2) Thanks for the heads up.

Morryde or Exogate. Done well with the full carrier, more than just the hinges are strengthened.
Is there a separate additional kit that replaces the stock stamped steel carrier bracket? All the morryde kits I see are just hinges with a tailgate frame and reuse the stock carrier.

Is there a separate additional kit that replaces the stock stamped steel carrier bracket? All the morryde kits I see are just hinges with a tailgate frame and reuse the stock carrier.

That is the full reinforcement kit. People here are talking about only replacing the hinges, which are available separately. This isn't enough.

I modified my stock carrier to strengthen it and raise the spare by cutting off the mounting flanges and welding it to a piece of 3/16" steel plate. With the snubbers spaced out to make proper contact with the tire there is no movement at all. Eight years now with a 33X10.5 on it with no issues.

sparerelocate1.jpg

sparerelocate2.jpg

sparerelocate3.jpg

Reactions: Steel City 06
Boy, something about a really clean white paint job! Congrats on a super looking TJ (tailgate)!!!🧐

Reactions: dla
If the tire rests on the bumper, and is snug against the rubber snubbers, you shouldn't have an issue. Mine carried a 33 for 2 years, and now a 35 since early fall, and no issues. The 33 rested on the bumper, as does the 35 (after a 1.25" BL). I don't think I'd trust it if the tire isn't supported though.