Tire carrier suggestion needed

wrapp

I recently got 33x10.5's and have my spare mounted on the stock tailgate, with a relocation bracket to lift it up and off the bumper. I don't like how it currently shakes and makes noises when I drive on a road that isn't perfectly smooth. I am also guessing its wearing on my tailgate hinges.

What tire carriers does everyone have? I'm not quite sure if it would be better to get something like and exogate carrier so I can keep it mounted on the tailgate, or switch to a swing-out bumper mounted carrier.

I use the trunk quite a bit so I am not sure if it would be a big inconvenience to have to swing out the carrier before opening the tailgate.

any suggestions?

Moryde or Exogate. Or if you can find it, the bestop highrock carrier

Did you lengthen the rubber snubbers? They keep it from shaking; which is hard on the hinges,
No. I will do that if i decide to not upgrade to a new hinge or tire carrier. When I hear the squeaking noise when driving down the road is it the hinges on the tailgate or the actual wheel and tire shaking on the mount?

Tailgate/hinges.
Hopefully your tire/mount isn't loose.
Also, you'll need to adjust the snubbers even If you do upgrade.

I was in a similar boat. Several people told me that the tire moving on the rear door was going to break something.
I was going to get the Moryde or Exogate hinges. But I also really wanted a recessed hitch.
When Bestop put the TJ Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier on sale for almost 1/2 price I figured I would give that a try. I'll keep all my current parts for a while to make sure I like it. So far seems pretty good. But I haven't been offroad yet.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...er-with-tire-carrier.43799/page-2#post-780686

I was in a similar boat. Several people told me that the tire moving on the rear door was going to break something.
I was going to get the Moryde or Exogate hinges. But I also really wanted a recessed hitch.
When Bestop put the TJ Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier on sale for almost 1/2 price I figured I would give that a try. I'll keep all my current parts for a while to make sure I like it. So far seems pretty good. But I haven't been offroad yet.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...er-with-tire-carrier.43799/page-2#post-780686
This is on my YJ with 31s 25+ years of wheeling. My TJ has a bumper mount.

34D228AA-52B5-4CA5-8E86-459037798652.jpeg

A3D0EAC2-5015-42E2-BAA9-2D296CDA1968.jpeg

does it come with a tire carrier wheel mount, or do you just use the one that is already on there?
You will just reuse your stock carrier. It comes with a bracket that raises the carrier for bumper clearance.

LONGJP2 said:
Did you lengthen the rubber snubbers? They keep it from shaking; which is hard on the hinges,
No. I will do that if i decide to not upgrade to a new hinge or tire carrier. When I hear the squeaking noise when driving down the road is it the hinges on the tailgate or the actual wheel and tire shaking on the mount?
Hockey pucks, roller blade wheels, rubber mallets from Harbor Freight, with longer bolts have been used to lengthen the snubbers. It would be cheap and easy thing to try. I lengthened my snubbers for my 32" tire and it's solid.

I used my unibit to drill about 1/2 way through the rubber. Then a longer bolt amd washer to screw it into the factory hole. The bottom one fit perfectly. But the top 2 still didn’t touch. I cut and shaped a couple 2x4s to wedge between the tire and the factory snubbers.

Reactions: j8ksdad
thanks everyone. just ordered the morryde
You're gonna love it once you get it installed, not so much the installation though. My tail gate door was kind of a bitch to get apart.
Remember: HEAT the bolts to get them out, they are lock tightend in from the factory.

Take your spare of your tailgate ASAP my 33 inch tire and wheel cracked mine all the way from the top down through the vent and nearly to the bottom of the tailgate