Tire choices for highway but still some fun?

endurancechiro

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2003 TJ X that is in dire need of some tires. I currently drive 2 hours each way down a 75 mph highway once a week, but still love to take the jeep out into some medium mud, sand, and hills.
I have a 4" lift and currently on 15" rims, so I need some help to get moderate highway comfort while still being able to grab off road. Thinking 33x10.50r15 or 33x12.50r15, would love to hear your input on the 10.5 vs 12.5 sizing as well.

I've been looking at the BFG AT KO2's, grabber ATX, and the pro comp at sport. Any thoughts on others to look at or if I should stay away from any of these 3?

Thanks!

I run Achillies Desert Hawks @ 33x12.5x15 with 3.5" of lift. They sing a bit but its tolerable. Also cheaper than the KO2's and Grabbers.

They were recommended to me by locals who've been using them for awhile, people who drive their Jeeps down to FL from NC and back once every other month or so with no issues. Furthest I've taken them in 1 go is 300 miles to and from Raliegh in a day.

Comfortable tire, moderate road noise, treadwear is acceptable.

For a treadwear example, I've put about 6500 miles on mine since install (From Sept. last year until now) and have barely any visible loss.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUEHKZ2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

(I pick them up from a local shop for about $40 cheaper)

I run Cooper ST Maxx on both my truck and Jeep, rated at 65,000 miles (Got 70k with them on my truck, I'd bet there's 10k left). They are notably very quiet on the road for a semi aggressive tire. Predictable on and off road handling characteristics. My terrain is probably different than yours here in Southern Indiana but they would definitely be worth looking at.

Your choices are limited on 33X1050's, but I run that size. Just recently purchased KO2's, and from a noise standpoint vs. my old KM2's they are whisper quiet, and handle the road, wet or dry, very nicely. For mud, probably not so good, but I haven't had the chance to put them thru slop yet.

Reactions: Alex01
KO2 or Duratracs are the top rated tires that fit the bill. They both still look good too, IMO.

I'm running KO2's on two Wranglers (32's on a TJ and 33's on a JK). They are very quiet and work great in dry, wet, and snow/ice conditions. Great all around tires, no buyers remorse here.

Reactions: billiebob
I bought a set of Duratracs about 9 months ago. I can't believe how good they are both on and off the road. I don't know too much about the Pro Comp AT sports but by looking at the pictures online I don't think they'll do much of anything but spin in "some medium mud, sand". They'll probably do OK on hills, as long as they are paved.

KO2s are great I know a lot of people that love them. The only down side is they aren't cheap.

Edit: I forgot to mention they are great at both. I know a lot of people that DD with them and love them both on and off road.

Any Brand Name will be a great tire. Honestly the decision should be service. I was a Goodyear diehard but locally I only have a BFG retailer. Zero difference but my BFG warranty, rotations, flat fixer is 5 blocks away.

On width, I prefer narrow, you only need wider for flotation, mud, sand, or aired down traction, rock crawling. For anything else, highway, rain, hydroplaning, slush, standing water, highway speeds, flotation will be a disaster. I have no need for flotation. I like the skinny pizza cutter philosophy.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Not sure how they do in the woods, but I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my wife’s 2012 Grand Cherokee. Got about 50k them and what seems like half tread life left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2003 TJ X that is in dire need of some tires. I currently drive 2 hours each way down a 75 mph highway once a week, but still love to take the jeep out into some medium mud, sand, and hills.
I have a 4" lift and currently on 15" rims, so I need some help to get moderate highway comfort while still being able to grab off road. Thinking 33x10.50r15 or 33x12.50r15, would love to hear your input on the 10.5 vs 12.5 sizing as well.

I've been looking at the BFG AT KO2's, grabber ATX, and the pro comp at sport. Any thoughts on others to look at or if I should stay away from any of these 3?

Thanks!
I run 33" K02's on a 4" lift , I like them a lot. How tall are your current tires and what transmission do you have ? Maunual or Auto?

From personal experience I would stay away from ProComp. On my current 4-Runner, I run BFG AT KO2's. On the TJ, I've got 33-12.50's DuraTrac's, for the street and dirt. For the rocks, I switch to my 37" STT PRO's.
I've recently made a couple of 2,500 mile trips to Montana with the 4-Runner and the BFG KO2's handled the mix of dry, snow and/or ice conditions on the I 15 freeway while dragging a 6x10 cargo trailer. I would have done the same if I had DuraTrac's on the 4-Runner.

Last edited:
For a mostly highway driver I would agree with @bobthetj03 and get some 33x10.5. The 10.5 inch tires in my option were much better on the road then the 12.5 I have currently.

...Thinking 33x10.50r15 or 33x12.50r15, would love to hear your input on the 10.5 vs 12.5 sizing as well.

Thanks!
I think the 10.5" handle better on the highway. (And basically the less knobby, the better on the hwy)
However, I greatly prefer the look of the 12.5".

source: I had 33x10.50 r15 BFG KO2's for a long time
I now run 33x12.5 Duratracs in winter and just last year added 35x12.5 Cooper STT Pro for summer
(in the summer, I drive 2.5-3hrs each way to get the cabin, and make about 5-6 trips per year. However, I drive a bit slower, and it's probably a less busier highway than your experience)

I had no complaints about the BFG KO2's. I ran them for...well, I believe over a decade. (couple replacement tires along the way)
I just wanted a change/different look when I went with the Duratracs.
No complaints with either.

I'm personally happiest when running the 35" Coopers...and they are "fine" on the highway, but I'm not necessarily going to recommend that tire to you when you weigh highway driving as a high priority. But look amazing and perform great for the off-road I've done.

Reactions: Alex01