Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Milestar Patagonia

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Tried to order tires today. Apparently there's a nationwide backorder of specific KM3 sizes including 35x12.5R15.

So now I'm weighing a wait until late June or getting something else. Interested in some input from people that have run a few of these. I've pretty much had nothing but Cooper and BFG for years. And nothing but BFG on my Jeeps.

My first choice, I like the KM3 because it looks like it should be relatively quiet, isn't too light or too heavy, I've had great luck with BFG's in the past including KO2s and KM2s, and the sidewall looks good.

1620853895818.png

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar seems popular around here, but also seems to have a reputation for being hard to balance, shitty wet pavement traction and is $50+ per tire more than most of the other choices. The wet weather stuff could be a problem with my upcoming move because when it rains in Oklahoma, it RAINS. Like, forget having a conversation in a vehicle because you can't hear over the water hitting the windshield...and you're parked. And standing water is a guarantee not because of poor drainage, but because the viscosity of water only lets it run off the road so fast. Not included in the poll because I'm jut not going to pay a $250 premium for not-my-first-choice but I included it here in case someone stumbles into this thread in the future and finds the comparisons useful.

1620854087343.png

The STT Pro seems to have a good reputation. I don't think the sidewall looks as cool as the KM3 but I can't really say anything bad about it beyond personal tastes. I've had Coopers before so I wouldn't have any qualms about depending on them, but they've mostly been on pickups and my wifes daily, so they've been ATs.

1620853903613.png

Yokohama Geolandar MT. Not much special to say about it. Sidewall reminds me a bit of the Wrangler Duratrac, like the lugs are just decoration. Noticeably more "square" tread profile, which I don't know if that's good or bad, just different. Tread pattern looks like previous-generation tech, which likely doesn't mean anything for performance with me at the wheel, but it looks like it could be noisy.

1620853945305.png

Kumho RoadVenture MT71 - looks like the Geolandar had a baby with a Patagonia, but hopefully got more of the Yokohama's personality. A little less expensive, which is nice.

1620853963179.png

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
Not a bad looking tire. Brand seems to be more popular among mall crawlers than youtube wheelers or forum members, and I'm not sure what to take from that. Heavier than any of the preceding choices.

1620853886855.png

General Grabber X3. I applaud their confidence with the red letter thing (not pictured). But the side lugs look pretty weak and it's on the heavier side.

1620853912063.png

Falken Wildpeak MT. 10 pounds heavier than most of the other options, plus it's ugly, like they ripped off a KO1 but spread the lugs out a little more to call it an MT. To top if off it's almost as pricey as the MTR. Not included in the poll but I included it here in case someone stumbles into this thread in the future and finds the comparisons useful.

1620853925710.png

And here's the details
1620855101164.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob
Happy with the KM3(33/12.5/15), balances easy and doesn't make much noise on the road, wears good if you rotate every oil change. I have about 15k on mine and happy with how they have performed off road. @02GreenTJ runs their 35 and I know he likes them so Im sure hell tell you something positive too. Only issue I have with them is how small they run. I just measured my 33 today and it actually measured just a hair over 31" :(

I voted for the Baja Boss because that was the other one that was in contention with my winner (MTR/K). But I don't know about the terrain you'll run after your move.

I'm not sure either, honestly. It'll be wetter, for sure, the rocks will probably have more rounded edges, and there'll probably be more tree roots.

Here are 4 google image results for nearby offroad parks.

1620855943710.png

1620856035855.png

1620856105934.png

1620856157916.png

Happy with the KM3(33/12.5/15), balances easy and doesn't make much noise on the road, wears good if you rotate every oil change. I have about 15k on mine and happy with how they have performed off road. @02GreenTJ runs their 35 and I know he likes them so Im sure hell tell you something positive too. Only issue I have with them is how small they run. I just measured my 33 today and it actually measured just a hair over 31" :(
I like my km3s a lot. They’ve been wearing good and are awesome off road. Also way better in the wet than my old km2s. I wouldn’t hesitate to get them again. Mine also measured to 34” View attachment 251960View attachment 251960

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did not care for my km2’s. I know they are not on the list but so far I’m happy with my Maxxis RZRS.
just curious, what did you not like about your KM2s?

I don't hate the RAZR but I had filtered it out of my list of finalists because of the 13.5" (!!!) section width had me concerned about front LCA clearance when I was thinking about running wheels with 4.5" of BS. I decided to keep my current wheels (5.25" BS) and add spacers to get me to 4", so the section width probably isn't an issue now.

Reactions: Rick Flair
just curious, what did you not like about your KM2s?

I don't hate the RAZR but I had filtered it out of my list of finalists because of the 13.5" (!!!) section width had me concerned about front LCA clearance when I was thinking about running wheels with 4.5" of BS. I decided to keep my current wheels (5.25" BS) and add spacers to get me to 4", so the section width probably isn't an issue now.
On dry stuff they were just, ok. On wet or slick they were terrible. Seemed like the front would never grip. Kinda like the rear just pushed the front. I don’t have that issue with the Maxxis. Jmo.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I sell all the above and I'd recommend...

None from your list.

The two best from your pictures you don't list for voting.

Good year MT/R
Falken MT

As far as wet weather...
I almost laugh out loud when I see someone say yeah...but the wet weather traction...LOL..

If it's wet off road then it's a good day for wheeling...

If it's wet on road...it's a Jeep. Drive safely....which is on YOU...not the machine nor it's tires.
This isn't a Formula 1 car and we're debating putting the wet tires on or stay with sticks.

Look at your tires on the list...

They're all the same damn thing. The tire world is a copy cat world. From Mickey Thompson MTZ to Kenda MT and all in between. They're all the same damm thing. Look at how eerily similar they are. 😉

Now if you want my real opinion of the best tire for your kinda sorta mud tire desire....

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/102
Rxm-11r is the model code

• Haha
Reactions: D M
Is discount tire out in that size? Somehow they have a ton of 37s in stock, but I haven’t looked at 35s. They normally can get stuff in 1-5 days.

It seems to only affect certain sizes. No problem getting a 35x12.5R17. Too bad they're load range E and I don't want to spend another $1k on new wheels.

Discount website says 1-5 days but on the phone said 90 day backorder.
Big O could find 2 in the whole country, in different places, but would be backordered for the rest.
Tire Rack shows a June 22nd delivery
4WP just says Out of Stock.
Quadratec says Temporarily Out of Stock with an estimated ship date of 5/19, which I don't believe.
Amazon shows delivery end of June for the low price of $476 per tire.

Reactions: Starrs
I sell all the above and I'd recommend...

None from your list.

The two best from your pictures you don't list for voting.

Good year MT/R
Falken MT

As far as wet weather...
I almost laugh out loud when I see someone say yeah...but the wet weather traction...LOL..

If it's wet off road then it's a good day for wheeling...

If it's wet on road...it's a Jeep. Drive safely....which is on YOU...not the machine nor it's tires.
This isn't a Formula 1 car and we're debating putting the wet tires on or stay with sticks.

Look at your tires on the list...

They're all the same damn thing. The tire world is a copy cat world. From Mickey Thompson MTZ to Kenda MT and all in between. They're all the same damm thing. Look at how eerily similar they are. 😉

Now if you want my real opinion of the best tire for your kinda sorta mud tire desire....

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/102
Rxm-11r is the model code

First of all...I HATE mud. So I'm going to avoid it any chance I get and I'm not looking for a tire to be good in the mud. I'm looking for a tire that will do good on some wet rocks, on what mud I can't manage to avoid, and not drive me crazy with imbalance or noise on the highway to the trail. I've had KM2s before and they met those needs, and the general feedback I've read is that the KM3 is an improvement.

I realize I'm shopping for a "mud" tire but it will see pavement since all the wheeling spots will be 2+ hours away and my kids like to ride in the Jeep to go out for ice cream (though probably not in torrential rain, usually). I can handle what a tire throws at me as long as it's predictable, so maybe the wet weather traction shouldn't be a factor, but I'm gonna need a convincing reason to pay the price of 6 tires to only get 5. The same applies to the Falken, which for whatever reason is also 20% more expensive than everyone else. What justifies that? and why do they need an extra 10 pounds per tire to do the same job as BFG or Goodyear? Hell, Interco isn't known for lightweight tires but the TrXus you suggested is closer to the weight of a BFG or MTR than it is to a Falken.

I agree that there are a lot of similarities in the tires I posted. In fact, something that is really common but really turns me off is that almost everybody puts this weird rib right at the shoulder that seems like would ruin the efficacy of having any traction features on the sidewall to begin with, and to my eye basically makes it look like it's only pretending to be aggressive. BFG, Falken Interco, and and one Maxxis model (the Trepador) are the only ones that have a single lug that actually wraps around from the tread surface onto the sidewall. It may be silly, but with 100% honesty it's the reason I haven't already pulled the trigger on some STT Pros.

Reactions: Rick Flair