Tire chunking?

01CuHed

TJ Enthusiast
To be honest I have never seen tires do this before on any vehicle I have ever owned. My brother has a 2009 Toyota Tundra 4-door and his rear tires are actually having the tread torn/ripped off the surface? I have done some research on this and what I'm seeing is worn shocks can cause this. Are there any other parts to look at that would cause tire chunking? Really would appreciate any experience/insight to this problem...thanks guys!

Thanks Cornbread for your response! This truck has not been on gravel roads...all paved and the Michelin tires on his truck are all dated 2015. It's only the rear tires that are getting chewed up...not the fronts.

Reactions: Cornbread
Strange, one of my old bosses had Michelin's on his Tundra that were "chunking" out. He used his pulling large equipment on their farm and it saw lots gravel roads so he blamed it on that. I think he only got 30,000 miles out of the tires. He did say they were the smoothest riding tires he had on the truck, but that's piss poor longevity.

That 5.7 V8 could definitely light the rear tires up but no he's not doing that. Ha! I heard a few years back people were complaining about the wear they were getting from their Michelin tires...seems like Michelin even admitted to premature wearing problems? I've just never seen tires chunk like that?

All the chunking of tire lugs I’ve come across were due to spinning the tires on a gravel or chip sealed road.

Reactions: 01CuHed
What's the build date on the tires?
Chris the build date on the tires was in 2015. I'm starting to think that his shocks are so worn out in back (bed empty only a camper shell) they are not forcing his rear tires to stay in constant contact with pavement causing chunking? Maybe the reason his front tires are not chunking is because the weight of the 5.7L V8 engine is enough to keep his front tires on the pavement? This is about the only reason I can come up with. I know you guy's have seen a lot when it comes to vehicles so I wanted to get some opinions from ya'll which I much appreciate!

Reactions: Chris