Tire Decision In Absence of 35x12.50x15 MT/R

That'd be a good reason not to use them on rocks.
That's surprising since they are 3 lbs heavier than the coopers. I don't want to be the guinea pig though.

Blaine has stated multiple times that he can't see any performance difference between a 35" MTR in a 15" or 17" wheel. Based on that, I have a set of 17s waiting for the next set of tires which will almost certainly be MTR's again. This also includes a set of 17" Coyote beadlocks.

I like your plan, minus the cost. Especially the wheels you're going with. I considered running my original 16" Moabs with MT/Rs but those are E rated.

I like your plan, minus the cost. Especially the wheels you're going with. I considered running my original 16" Moabs with MT/Rs but those are E rated.

My entire wheel journey started because i wanted to get away from the 16" wheel size. If I had known the 35" MTR in a 15" was going away, I would have gone straight to 17s.

I know quite a few people that wheel the serious rocks around Colorado and Utah that are loving the Mickey Baja boss’s. I’m trying to decide what to go with in a 35x12.50-15 myself since I’m going back down in tire size on the Tj.

Reactions: L J
My entire wheel journey started because i wanted to get away from the 16" wheel size. If I had known the 35" MTR in a 15" was going away, I would have gone straight to 17s.
That reminds me of all the times I spun the tire on the wheel with 16's. I don't miss those days!

I know quite a few people that wheel the serious rocks around Colorado and Utah that are loving the Mickey Baja boss’s. I’m trying to decide what to go with in a 35x12.50-15 myself since I’m going back down in tire size on the Tj.

That sounds promising! No sidewall problems? What's leading your list of replacements?

That reminds me of all the times I spun the tire on the wheel with 16's. I don't miss those days!

That sounds promising! No sidewall problems? What's leading your list of replacements?
The MT Baja boss is on top of my list currently, I like the Bfg, Cooper also though.

I've been running the Cooper STT Pros on my JKU for around 40k miles. I've really liked them both on and off road. However, I decided to try the Baja Boss for my LJ. Unfortunately, I haven't taken them off road yet to provide a review.

I've run KO2s, Trxus, Wrangler MTR, KM2, and whatever the JKU had from the factory. So far the Coopers have been the best tire. To be honest, there's a huge gap between them and second place. So much so I will be replacing these with the same once the time comes. I don't think I can give a better compliment than buying them again.

Reactions: alittleoff and JMT
I’ve run these tires in this order; GY MT/R’s, Cooper STT Pro, Maxxis Razr, and KM3’s. That’s almost the order I’d rank them, Apparently my tire choices are getting worse. I’ll either go back to the Cooper STT Pro in a 15 or move to 17’s when the time comes.

I'm due for new rubber, but I'm also not sure what to do at this time. I'm currently running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ/P3.
I like the tire, but at 28k miles they are about toast. I previously ran Cooper ST Maxx and SST, both tires performed well and lasted.
I had about 40k on the ST Maxx tires before I sold them. They still had more than half tread.
My main issue with M/T and Cooper tires was the amount of weight that was required to get them balanced. I went thru numerous tires before coming up with a complete set that took under 3oz. per tire.
I may try the Falken Wildpeak M/T, but I'm still undecided.

Reactions: JMT and John Cooper
I'm due for new rubber, but I'm also not sure what to do at this time. I'm currently running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ/P3.
I like the tire, but at 28k miles they are about toast. I previously ran Cooper ST Maxx and SST, both tires performed well and lasted.
I had about 40k on the ST Maxx tires before I sold them. They still had more than half tread.
My main issue with M/T and Cooper tires was the amount of weight that was required to get them balanced. I went thru numerous tires before coming up with a complete set that took under 3oz. per tire.
I may try the Falken Wildpeak M/T, but I'm still undecided.
I think the Wildpeak is what comes stock on the JL's with the mud terrain option? That's also what Savvy run's on their KOH car. The pattern kinda reminds me of the old BFG KM's. I don't think @mrblaine spoke very highly of them in a previous thread but the can't be too bad if they won KOH.

I think the Wildpeak is what comes stock on the JL's with the mud terrain option? That's also what Savvy run's on their KOH car. The pattern kinda reminds me of the old BFG KM's. I don't think @mrblaine spoke very highly of them in a previous thread but the can't be too bad if they won KOH.
Savvy hasn't run anything Falken for a long time. Lest we forget, they are sponsored by a tire company. Whoever steps up with the most attractive package gets to put tires on the car. The same thing is true for most of the winning and other prominent teams. The only thing you can conclude from any team's tire choice is that team made a good deal with a tire company. Even the lesser teams will generally run a tire based on how much of a discount they get in a sponsorship arrangement or racer discount.

There are very few things that racers do that we should pay a lot of attention to. Some things are fine, others not so much.

I wouldn't run a set of trail use Falken's for free and that holds true for anything Milestar with the inclusion of any of their tires.

So what is the #1 tire KOH competitors want to run? Is it the BFG Krawler? What tires are at the top of the list of most desirable, that they would bypass a 100% tire sponsorship for to get with only a partial sponsorship? I'd imagine any that any tire chosen would have to be considered at least near-bulletproof given what they're put through on that course. And what tire is Savvy running this year?

So what is the #1 tire KOH competitors want to run?
There are a lot of Baja trophy truck styles that are tougher and run well at the higher pressures they need for the open desert.
Is it the BFG Krawler?
Not sure if they have it as a Krawler but they do have some Baja stuff the trophy trucks run.
What tires are at the top of the list of most desirable, that they would bypass a 100% tire sponsorship for to get with only a partial sponsorship?
Don't know.
I'd imagine any that any tire chosen would have to be considered at least near-bulletproof given what they're put through on that course.
That's a given but lots of folks will run a lot of crap just to get a sponsor deal. Caysie Currie ran General tires one year if that tells you anything.
And what tire is Savvy running this year?
I don't think you will see a full Savvy car fielded this year.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Here are my Coopers after a little over 40k miles and going on their 5th year. I would expect similar out or the MT Baja Boss.

PXL_20220116_231142432.jpg

PXL_20220116_231148214.jpg

Reactions: PRNDL
Quite a bit but I guess that's kind of relative. Our local (midwest) wheeling has a lot of dirt/mud covered rocks. I do try to stick to the rocks as much as possible. I really hate mud. However, these have been out to Moab, Pennsylvania, Colorado twice, South Dakota. They've seen a lot of both on and offroad miles.

I've always run Goodyear MT/R's except for a short stint on BFG Krawlers. If the MT/R's were still available my decision would be easy. However I'm not going through the changes required to run 17's at this point.

I don't run as hard of trails as I used to, but still get into rocks quite a bit. My main concern is side wall cut resistance followed by traction. I no longer DD my TJ.

1st Choice - Cooper STT Pro. I see these on many rigs here that actually wheel, leads me to believe they are decently tough. Made in USA a bonus as well.

2nd Choice - BFG KM3. I have sidewall concern's with the older BFG KM Models. Not sure if that is still a concern.

3rd Choice - General Grabber X3. Popular with the overlanding crowd but not sure how they'd do in rocks. True 35's is a plus.

Outlier - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT. I like the look of these but my guess is it's built on the same carcass as the Cooper but $40 more per tire. Don't see many running these.

Any other tire's I should consider for Colorado trails and rocks? I don't care about mud performance. I avoid it like the plague.
I like my Coopers 35 x12.5 x 15 tires. I have put many on road and off-road miles on them. Couple trips to Moab (driven not trailered) Death Valley etc. I am happy with the on road performance and noise, off road they are great. They seem to wear well. I did take out one sidewall but bent the track bar at the same time. ( too much skinny pedal) They do see to take some weight to balance. As far as going to 17” tires I was able to get a BMB 16” kit in my 15” wheel but I had to run the wheel out to Mrblane to verify fit. With the 35” tires brake upgrade is a must.