Tire Designs and Options Comparable to the Goodyear MT/R

2000 or so, and the tires are directional so I dont worry about where the date code is. I have seen tires that were 20 years old that were not dry rotted at all at national guard units. You may not see much in a civilian manual on military tires, but it was mentioned in the Army Tech manuals (tm's) about the OZ labeling.
The military has tires that old in use? No way.
Dude throw those old tires out! I bet your tires are hard as a rock.

The military has tires that old in use? No way.
Dude throw those old tires out! I bet your tires are hard as a rock.
I just bought them, they are fine for a plow truck that sees 500 miles a year anymore and more like 200 some years, the only time it leaves the yard is to get propane. It has a 454 that was converted to propane, starts good at -5 but gets crap for mileage. I also do not have to worry about the gas going sour from sitting.

I agree they have awesome traction in the rocks. And I know all about sticky tires being that I live in the south where everyone once ran red labels kx’s. But due to sidewall strength they all have gone to maxxis or Interco sticky tires.
Do a Search on krawler sidewalls on pirate. Direct quote from pirate “I think the weak sidewall has grown to mythical levels due to the intraweb.”

“Mythical levels” and you haven’t seen this? I thought you were a certified web wheeler.
Then since you found that Pirate thread you also saw Blaine's comment that he's never been able to puncture his Krawler sidewalls during his countless days running on the big rocks in Johnson Valley. He's still running them.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Then since you found that Pirate thread you also saw Blaine's comment that he's never been able to puncture his Krawler sidewalls during his countless days running on the big rocks in Johnson Valley. He's still running them.
You word it like he has physically tried to puncture them. Haha
Yea well that’s west wheeling vs south. Bfg all terrains would be fine out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
To @jjvw :

Since you run Cooper ST/Maxx tires now, the STT/Pro would be a natural replacement if you want a MT tire. Also, the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3. All three tires share the same tire carcass with 3-ply sidewalls.

The most popular "new" tires in my area seems to be the Milestar Patagonia. There are no reliable long term reports that I can find so it is impossible to know how long they last, but they are so much less expensive than the "brand name" tires that even if they only last 20,000 miles the cost per mile is still quite reasonable. The guys I know who have them really like them. The 315/75R16 (35x12.50R16) size is D load rated.

Here is a shot of a friend's LJ with Milestar Patagonia tires taken on Cliffhanger at Moab:

8gquNWFCKk0nb_yMT9VW-x2AaB8&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

Is there a viable tire candidate that isn't an E for the 16" Moabs?
I think it's just the MTR & KM2 in load D for that size per tiresize.com in the 315/75r16 variety.

Edit- Also the Maxis Bigshot is a MT with the same specs but not familiar with the tire.

I love my Cooper STT Pros.
I was having a hard look between the Goodyear MTR's and the Cooper STT Pros; and it was a tough choice.
I think I chose the Cooper's due to review's/forum opinions on being nicer on the road (my Jeep is my daily driver) and less balancing complaints. Then I found a great sale and pulled the trigger.
I never regretted it - I love these tires. They've been great on rock and mud.
(They do hum on the street now though.)

Note: I have never driven these tires in winter. (I use Duratrac's in winter. I do not recommend Duratrac's for rock crawling, but I will recommend them for winter)
I think the Cooper STT Pro's would do fine in deep snow (but not necessarily slick roads). Their rubber compound is still for mud, and those seem to turn into hockey pucks in winter in my area, IMO.

Another friend has the Goodyear MTR's and is happy with them too, but it's not his daily driver. His Jeep plows his driveway in winter, so I don't know what that says about their traction, as you need grip, but also don't need to worry about quick braking.

I don't think you can go wrong with either tire...except I cannot personally vouch for their handling ability in winter.

I used to be of the mindset/finance/storage ability of "1 tire does it all". I am now definitely a 2 sets of tires person now.

Reactions: jjvw
To @jjvw :

Since you run Cooper ST/Maxx tires now, the STT/Pro would be a natural replacement if you want a MT tire. Also, the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3. All three tires share the same tire carcass with 3-ply sidewalls.

FWiW, the only sidewall I have ever punctured is on this set is Maxxes, which are the heavier E rated. Though, I am not reading too much into that at this point in my experiences.

I am suspicious of the Patagonias. I know some who think they are a mediocre tire when it starts to matter. And I can't get past my prediction that the tread pattern will wear into a slick bar down the middle.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do. Besides not having the space for a second set of tires for the foreseeable future, I want to just go without swapping tires. In the future, maybe and hopefully I'll have that as an option.
Depending where you are, there are some shops that offer seasonal tires storage for a "reasonable" cost. I've never used one, but I've seen some as low as $60 over winter.
Some might offer it "for free" if you buy the tires through them.
Just a thought. It's definitely more money and a bit more hassle - but opens up more options.
It also theoretically can make your tires last "twice" as long, keeping you with better tread for longer.

Reactions: jjvw
I don't know about the strength of sidewall, but I have been pretty happy with my Duratrac's through all weather conditions. They are on my Pickup truck though and the only "offroading" it sees are farm roads during hunting season (which are narrow, rutted, washboarded, muddy and sloppy) I took a couple wheeling trips with my Wrangler this winter, and I would not recommend KM2's for winter driving. The did fine in cold, powdery snow, but when it gets a little warmer and the snow loses its "bite," they start to suck real quick. They are absolutely terrible (bordering on scary dangerous) in icy conditions.

For what you're doing, you don't see much mud, right? I really think an all-terrain will be better over all for you. You might lose a little traction in the rocks, but you will gain a whole bunch on the road, especially when conditions deteriorate. I ran the General Grabber AT2 on my last pick-up and it was great. It carries the mud and snow designation so it works well in the winter. The only downfall to them is they will pack up with mud and become a slick...plus they pick up and throw gravel all over the place (but that is typical to that style tread, not just the Generals).

You'd have to run a 17" wheel, but Nitto's Ridge Grappler looks like an interesting compromise.

I have heard good things about Milestar Patagonia. I will try them once I get the lift, brakes and such sorted out.