Tire Designs and Options Comparable to the Goodyear MT/R

For your uses, I'd vote for some KM3's. My KM2's were awesome when I lived in Wyoming. At that time, I was using my Jeep in nearly the same way I think you use yours. They were pretty good in the snow and rain. And I never had any complaints with them off-road whether that was in mud or in the rocks.

I didn't realize how bad mud tires could be until I got my Maxxis Trepadors. The Jeep is dangerous in the rain and downright undriveable in the snow.

Reactions: Mattific and jjvw
Doesn’t matter. They all suck. Have you ran them?
These are on my YJ, I still have one left from 1991 from my old power wagon.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

from what I’ve seen, I’d rather have a bfg all terrain. Those tires suck.
biased or radials? they are 2 different tires...

Doesn’t matter. They all suck. Have you ran them?
These are on my YJ, I still have one left from 1991 from my old power wagon.

View attachment 100956

View attachment 100957

If you follow along. Post number 23 wasn’t referring to those tires shown in post 25. Your confusing people man.

If you follow along. Post number 23 wasn’t referring to those tires shown in post 25. Your confusing people man.

If I were interested in Buckshots, I might be confused. That isn't the case, nor am I confused. ;)

I am running the Goodyear hummer take off tires on my plow truck, they have the UV protection and last for years and the traction is good enough for my needs. For $185 each, where are you going to get 37's that work for similar money?

I am running the Goodyear hummer take off tires on my plow truck, they have the UV protection and last for years and the traction is good enough for my needs. For $185 each, where are you going to get 37's that work for similar money?
not trying to argue. But I work for a service shop and we sell a lot of tires. Tell me about this uv protection? This was a selling point you read somewhere? Never seen this as a additional selling point.

Military spec. tires have OZ imprinted on the side for Ozone and UV protection. Not something you will find on the average vehicle, which is what the Goodyear's that the military uses have. Hummers spend most of their life sitting in a lot somewhere so they need something extra to keep them from weather checking because they almost never get worn out. Oh and the new indian buckshots are not the same quality as the Gateway tires.

Military spec. tires have OZ imprinted on the side for Ozone and UV protection. Not something you will find on the average vehicle, which is what the Goodyear's that the military uses have. Hummers spend most of their life sitting in a lot somewhere so they need something extra to keep them from weather checking because they almost never get worn out. Oh and the new indian buckshots are not the same quality as the Gateway tires.
Never heard of this ozone or Uv protection. I went back and read a little in my tire book. Some rv tires have a special addictive made in but it’s more for rubber breakdown over time.
When were Your military tires manufactured? Do you run them with date code out on all the wheels?

I'm on my 4th set of GY MT/Rs, my second set with Kevlar sidewalls. The Kevlar MT/Rs are the only tires including 2 prior sets of BFGs I've never cut through or punctured the sidewalls. To me they're pretty much bulletproof and superb on trails with sharp rocks that can shred tires. A good balance guy can balance them and I get good mileage out of them. If the Kevlar MT/R were to suddenly disappear the only other tire I'd want would be BFG's Krawler.

Reactions: jjvw
I'm on my 4th set of GY MT/Rs, my second set with Kevlar sidewalls. The Kevlar MT/Rs are the only tires including 2 prior sets of BFGs I've never cut through or punctured the sidewalls. To me they're pretty much bulletproof and superb on trails with sharp rocks that can shred tires. A good balance guy can balance them and I get good mileage out of them. If the Kevlar MT/R were to suddenly disappear the only other tire I'd want would be BFG's Krawler.
Interesting take on your “only other tire”. Considering many folks on pirate hate the Krawler due to sidewall weakness. Seems to be the biggest issue if anyone brings up the kx.

Interesting take on your “only other tire”. Considering many folks on pirate hate the Krawler due to sidewall weakness. Seems to be the biggest issue if anyone brings up the kx.
You've been listening to the wrong people on Pirate, too many of them are blowhards. BFG's Krawler Red Label stickies are favored and extremely popular among serious rock crawlers here in the deserts of SoCal due to their toughness and extra thick/tough sidewalls. They're also very expensive which is why I'm not running them since they hook up on big rocks better than my MT/Rs do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
2000 or so, and the tires are directional so I dont worry about where the date code is. I have seen tires that were 20 years old that were not dry rotted at all at national guard units. You may not see much in a civilian manual on military tires, but it was mentioned in the Army Tech manuals (tm's) about the OZ labeling.

You've been listening to the wrong people on Pirate, too many of them are blowhards. BFG's Krawler Red Label stickies are favored and extremely popular among serious rock crawlers here in the deserts of SoCal due to their toughness and extra thick/tough sidewalls. They're also very expensive which is why I'm not running them since they hook up on big rocks better than my MT/Rs do.
I agree they have awesome traction in the rocks. And I know all about sticky tires being that I live in the south where everyone once ran red labels kx’s. But due to sidewall strength they all have gone to maxxis or Interco sticky tires.
Do a Search on krawler sidewalls on pirate. Direct quote from pirate “I think the weak sidewall has grown to mythical levels due to the intraweb.”

“Mythical levels” and you haven’t seen this? I thought you were a certified web wheeler.