Tire Gauge Recommendations

Red Dog

Perpetual Student of Life
Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2019
Iowa, Trenton's Tiki Hut
Silly question, but what is a good, accurate brand/style/type of tire gauge to buy?

Right now I just have an old one from way back in the day that shoots out a stick with the PSI from its end in that I store in the glove box. I like to have a second opinion to go with what the analog dial reads on the compressor. Are the digital ones accurate/reliable? I check tire psi every weekend via gauge, during the week I go off of tread feet on the ground and a good wood handle thump (good enough for gov't work).

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
No, this is a good question. I’m sure we all get frustrated with the many stupid wrong air gauges. I think mine is Accurite, it’s a digital, spent about $20 on it. I think it’s within 1 lb, when I’ve checked against others, but that’s not a good standard. Gauges built into modern vehicles are actually required to be very accurate. So if you can check your gauge against a vehicles built in you’ll get a decent idea.

DaveC

Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
I bought this in 2005 when I bought my 3/4 ton diesel truck due to the E load range tires on both the truck and our RV. I've gone through plenty of the cheap ones with the stick that extends out that can handle lower pressure tires. I find this one to be more accurate than those and use it on all my vehicles and trailers. And it's more durable; still have the one bought back in '05.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflation-and-Repair/Wheel-Masters/WM8216.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAiAv9riBRANEiwA9Dqv1bfCMRRFGVa_f1AZKNK0LoKKg108GW0eNGFppLz4T2nGSkDKtKIFBBoCG7cQAvD_BwE

jjvw

0-60 in 18 seconds
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2018
Colorado, USA
The last time I was looking, I picked one with a big dial and a max pressure of 60psi - about twice what the max tire pressure would ever be.

I've read that an accurate reading will be in the middle of the dial.

If you've ever opened up a pressure gauge, you'll see that you are inflating a sealed bent copper tube that moves a needle. They can be over inflated. I've done it.

tworley

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
May 23, 2018
Morrison, CO
Ive got a number of them, not sure where they were acquired at. Stainless steel, pen-like (except a real long one at about 12") . I think the max is 80 psi on one and 40 on the other. The real long way may be near 100. Ive used them all and they all show the same psi +/- a lb or two.

toximus

TJ Addict
Mar 29, 2018
Northern WI
A little late on this but I have this one and I'm super happy with it: Joes Racing 32306 (0-30) PSI Tire Pressure Gauge https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZ9CKS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like that it's 30 PSI max since I'll never air up higher than about 26 PSI. It's very consistent. When you take a second reading, its the same as before so there's no guessing which reading was right.
One thing to be mindful of is if somebody else or a tire shop overinflates your tires. It could damage your gauge.

moab

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Dec 15, 2018
El Segundo, California
I picked this one up for $18.50. Has great reviews on Amazon. Might even be cheaper on amazon. I like it alot. And it has a glow in the dark face for night time use. I just wanted something with a dial and that wouldn't take up to much room in my tool bag. It's reasonably accurate.

Mr. Bills

TJ Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2017
Area Code 530
The last time I was looking, I picked one with a big dial and a max pressure of 60psi - about twice what the max tire pressure would ever be.

I've read that an accurate reading will be in the middle of the dial.
^^ This. However, rather than 100% accuracy you should strive for reliability and consistency. What I mean by that is pick a gauge that is easy to use and easy to read that provides the same results every time. It doesn't matter that much whether it is 100% accurate if you always use the same gauge.

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw