Tire Gauge Recommendations

Red Dog

88M(30)
Supporting Member
Silly question, but what is a good, accurate brand/style/type of tire gauge to buy?

Right now I just have an old one from way back in the day that shoots out a stick with the PSI from its end in that I store in the glove box. I like to have a second opinion to go with what the analog dial reads on the compressor. Are the digital ones accurate/reliable? I check tire psi every weekend via gauge, during the week I go off of tread feet on the ground and a good wood handle thump (good enough for gov't work).

No, this is a good question. I’m sure we all get frustrated with the many stupid wrong air gauges. I think mine is Accurite, it’s a digital, spent about $20 on it. I think it’s within 1 lb, when I’ve checked against others, but that’s not a good standard. Gauges built into modern vehicles are actually required to be very accurate. So if you can check your gauge against a vehicles built in you’ll get a decent idea.

I bought this in 2005 when I bought my 3/4 ton diesel truck due to the E load range tires on both the truck and our RV. I've gone through plenty of the cheap ones with the stick that extends out that can handle lower pressure tires. I find this one to be more accurate than those and use it on all my vehicles and trailers. And it's more durable; still have the one bought back in '05.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Infla...KKg108GW0eNGFppLz4T2nGSkDKtKIFBBoCG7cQAvD_BwE

The last time I was looking, I picked one with a big dial and a max pressure of 60psi - about twice what the max tire pressure would ever be.

I've read that an accurate reading will be in the middle of the dial.

If you've ever opened up a pressure gauge, you'll see that you are inflating a sealed bent copper tube that moves a needle. They can be over inflated. I've done it.

Ive got a number of them, not sure where they were acquired at. Stainless steel, pen-like (except a real long one at about 12") . I think the max is 80 psi on one and 40 on the other. The real long way may be near 100. Ive used them all and they all show the same psi +/- a lb or two.

A little late on this but I have this one and I'm super happy with it: Joes Racing 32306 (0-30) PSI Tire Pressure Gauge https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZ9CKS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like that it's 30 PSI max since I'll never air up higher than about 26 PSI. It's very consistent. When you take a second reading, its the same as before so there's no guessing which reading was right.

One thing to be mindful of is if somebody else or a tire shop overinflates your tires. It could damage your gauge.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The last time I was looking, I picked one with a big dial and a max pressure of 60psi - about twice what the max tire pressure would ever be.

I've read that an accurate reading will be in the middle of the dial.

^^ This. However, rather than 100% accuracy you should strive for reliability and consistency. What I mean by that is pick a gauge that is easy to use and easy to read that provides the same results every time. It doesn't matter that much whether it is 100% accurate if you always use the same gauge.

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
I’ve had this analog gauge in the shop for about three years.
Accu-Gage RH60X Professional Tire Pressure Gauge with Protective Rubber Guard (60 PSI),Straight Chuck

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWTAAIA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I checked it using 2 of the calibrated, high $ gauges from work and it was within 1lb.

Note the high tech, custom trimmed, drink koozy gauge protector.

Reactions: Red Dog
I’ve had this analog gauge in the shop for about three years.
Accu-Gage RH60X Professional Tire Pressure Gauge with Protective Rubber Guard (60 PSI),Straight Chuck

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWTAAIA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I checked it using 2 of the calibrated, high $ gauges from work and it was within 1lb.

View attachment 77895

Note the high tech, custom trimmed, drink koozy gauge protector.

I just picked up 3 of the same gauges but with the short non flexible hose. When I compare them to my 2 ARB deflators they are all within .5 psi of each other. My previous gauge was reading 8 psi low when compared to the ARB’s.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Old thread, I know, but, I have been using the ARB digital gauge since 6/18 until it crapped out on me this summer.

ARB digital tire gauge

I changed the batteries, still nothing. I love the ease of use and it was accurate when comparing it to some of my analog gauges.

I finally got a chance to call ARB and they are replacing my dead one under warranty. Thanks, ARB!!

Reactions: JMT