What tire inflator gauge do you use?

When filling up after a trail run I use a Kobalt gauge that is mounted to my OBA hose.

20191105_171214.jpg

When checking/maintaining (it is my DD) I use whatever 12" gauge I have sitting in my door. Ive had it for as long as I can remember. Seems to be within a couple psi. I think consistency is better than accuracy when comparing gauges.

Reactions: rdtbull
I use a big 2 1/2" 30 psi gauge which spreads the scale out for a more accurate indication at low air pressures like the 8 psi and 24-26 psi that I use. The higher the pressure the gauge shows the harder it is to get a good accurate indication at the low end of the scale.

Mine is like this one but it says Accu-Gage instead... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VZ9CKS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
30 psi.JPG

30 psi assembly.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: LONGJP2 and matkal
I use a big 2 1/2" 30 psi gauge which spreads the scale out for a more accurate indication at low air pressures like the 8 psi and 24-26 psi that I use. The higher the pressure the gauge shows the harder it is to get a good accurate indication at the low end of the scale.

Mine is like this one but it says Acc-Gage instead... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VZ9CKS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 136166View attachment 136167
Lol. The older I get the worse my eyesight gets. I use this large gauge. I can read it without my glasses.
5C457C31-7FE4-4700-A8B0-0A3B57532C55.jpeg

ARB inflator, Currie Deflator, a fancy valve and a small pile of pipe fittings.
and it works as it supposed to? no problems at all

Thanks everyone for their response too. It is always interesting having a look at different options, so I can decide what I will buy/build!

and it works as it supposed to? no problems at all

That's what the valve is for. I made it a year ago and use it often. I like having only one thing to keep track of.

I recently purchased a T-MAX air compressor (5.65 cfm @ 0 psi, 2.47 cfm @ 30 psi).

In the manual it is mentioned:
This unit is designed to supply continues flow of air. Never dead end the hose or use accessory that stop the free flow of air. Damage to the unit can occur.

Does that mean that I can not use a tire inflator gauge? (you can see in the picture what's included in the air compressor)
1580044028875.png

I want to use something like this:
1580044132227.png

The reason is that in the TMAX air compressor you have to turn it off and on in order to check the PSI, while I prefer to have something like that so I dont have to go back and forth.

I recently purchased a T-MAX air compressor (5.65 cfm @ 0 psi, 2.47 cfm @ 30 psi).

In the manual it is mentioned:
This unit is designed to supply continues flow of air. Never dead end the hose or use accessory that stop the free flow of air. Damage to the unit can occur.

Does that mean that I can not use a tire inflator gauge? (you can see in the picture what's included in the air compressor)
View attachment 136635

I want to use something like this: View attachment 136636

The reason is that in the TMAX air compressor you have to turn it off and on in order to check the PSI, while I prefer to have something like that so I dont have to go back and forth.

My old Viair 88p was the same. Turn the switch off the get a tire reading. But the big difference was that both the switch and gauge were together on the pump. Since the hose clipped to the tire, there was no need to stand right at the tire while filling. I never gave it a second thought, but it shows that the T Max is a poor design if it makes you have to move back and forth between the switch and the gauge to get a reading. Quite interesting, really.

Were it me, I would move the gauge to the pump where it belongs on a unit like that. It's just plumbing.

My old Viair 88p was the same. Turn the switch off the get a tire reading. But the big difference was that both the switch and gauge were together on the pump. Since the hose clipped to the tire, there was no need to stand right at the tire while filling. I never gave it a second thought, but it shows that the T Max is a poor design if it makes you have to move back and forth between the switch and the gauge to get a reading. Quite interesting, really.

Were it me, I would move the gauge to the pump where it belongs on a unit like that. It's just plumbing.
Did you use your inflator/deflator device (shown above) with your Viair 88p? What compressor are you using now?

Did you use your inflator/deflator device (shown above) with your Viair 88p? What compressor are you using now?

I used the 88p as it came out of the box. No extra gauge or valve at the tip. There is no reason for it. The only minor change I would make to the 88p (or similar) is to put a clamp fitting on the hose rather than the screw on fitting mine had.

I have since built a York, and use my inflator deflator contraption with it, but only in the inflator mode. It cannot be used on the 88p or TMax for the reasons discussed.

In order to use an inflator valve and gauge at the end of a hose, the pump must have a pressure cut off switch or have a large enough reservoir to avoid over pressurizing the pump while taking a tire reading.

Reactions: Mrprez