Tire Load Rating: Using 102T to replace 104S?

Krissie

Hi All!

I know very little about tires and don't like the pushy sales dope that sell you more than you really need so all I know is from the online articles I have read, some of which are contradictory. I drive a '97 Wrangler TJ Sport with 30x9.5 R15 LT104S and 235/75(I think) tires. I have been having one tire that had a slow leak which required me to put about 5-10lbs of air in it every week. The tires are more than 10 yrs. old and this one had the most dry rot. I have been planning to do it "next week" (all summer) to drive to the tire store to have them diagnosed, hopefully just a simple fix.
Yes, all 4 need to be replaced but after having a medical mishap I just can afford to right now. So I had a question. Is it possible that I can swap them with the set of 4 tires I have on my other vehicle, a '96 Cherokee Sport? The Cherokee has 225/75 R15 102T tires that are about 3 years old. I couldn't find any other numbers on the sidewall. I can live driving just the Wrangler for the summer, I practically do anyway. Then I have a seasonal job in about a month so I can then afford to replace all 4 current tires.
Is this a ridiculous idea or can it possibly work? I thought it might since the rims are the same size.
Thanks!

With those tires 10 years old and dry rotting, it's incredibly dangerous to be driving your vehicle... not kidding either.

I'm not going to lecture on on when tires should be replaced, because you already know that.

I would say this though... if the tires on the Cherokee are newer (without dry rot), they WILL fit on your TJ, so I would definitely swap them over. It's not a ridiculous idea at all. Get something on there, because those 10 year old dry rotted tires can give at any time... even when you're driving down the highway at 60 mph.

Hi All!

I know very little about tires and don't like the pushy sales dope that sell you more than you really need so all I know is from the online articles I have read, some of which are contradictory. I drive a '97 Wrangler TJ Sport with 30x9.5 R15 LT104S and 235/75(I think) tires. I have been having one tire that had a slow leak which required me to put about 5-10lbs of air in it every week. The tires are more than 10 yrs. old and this one had the most dry rot. I have been planning to do it "next week" (all summer) to drive to the tire store to have them diagnosed, hopefully just a simple fix.
Yes, all 4 need to be replaced but after having a medical mishap I just can afford to right now. So I had a question. Is it possible that I can swap them with the set of 4 tires I have on my other vehicle, a '96 Cherokee Sport? The Cherokee has 225/75 R15 102T tires that are about 3 years old. I couldn't find any other numbers on the sidewall. I can live driving just the Wrangler for the summer, I practically do anyway. Then I have a seasonal job in about a month so I can then afford to replace all 4 current tires.
Is this a ridiculous idea or can it possibly work? I thought it might since the rims are the same size.
Thanks!
Just curious - how did your Wrangler come to have two different sized tires on it?

I wasn't sure if tires are identified with both sets of numbers. I know they are 30x9.5 and LT 104 from the tire. I thought that translated as 235/75 too since it came up in my search results. Like I said earlier, I have no clue about tires.

I swapped out the tires from Cherokee to TJ. I didn't realize how bad they were or considered the high speed danger. I feel much better about driving it now with the healthy tires. Thanks Guys!